It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.8 Oklahoma Quake- Largest Ever Recorded- Occurred on Newly Discovered Fault and Prompts New Fears

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
It's from fracking. Like the 5.6 one recently.

Humans have always just assumed that anything bad that happened was our fault.

You sneer at the religious who call it God's judgment, but you turn around and are basically doing the same thing here.

As True American pointed out, fracking is happening all over and has been going on for decades. There are lots of places that show no issues from it at all.

So even IF it's a factor, it's not the only factor.

Science is supposed to help us answer these questions not provide an easy excuse like you claim religion does.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Kinda makes one wonder..... If the oil & gas industry had to pay for all the damages, (both public & private) caused by these fracking/wastewater well induced earthquakes, would it still be profitable?

Reminds me of the giant sinkhole in LA. caused by a collapsing salt dome from an abandoned mining operation or when the polluted contents left in abandoned gold mines out West that got accidentally spilled in the rivers during EPA clean-up operations. Not to mention Love Canal, etc., etc..

Seems like our current system repeatedly allows some to take the wealth by any means necessary and then disappear while the tax paying public is left paying for the damages caused by their corporate endeavors.

On top of that, At a time when we regulate that landfills be lined to prevent pollution from seeping into the ground, why do we allow others to pump or "inject" their polluted waste directly into it? Especially when they refuse to even tells us what's in their waste. Hardly makes any sense at all.

I think that homeowners who sustained damage to their homes and/or their homeowner's insurance policy carriers, should file class action lawsuits to recover damages caused by this insane policy of injecting polluted wastewater directly into the ground. Same thing with respect to damages to publicly funded infrastructure.

edit on 13-9-2016 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I remember back when Arkansas was having so many... and then they got quiet..... and OK quakes picked up. Here is what I read this morning ...

One of the U.S. states with a significant amount of shale oil and natural gas, a study from the USGS found the disposal of oil and gas-related wastewater is the "primary reason" for an increase in seismic activity in central states like Oklahoma.
www.upi.com...

Also says this...

Wastewater injection, not hydraulic fracturing itself, is the greatest risk factor for seismic events in Oklahoma. Fielding questions about the Sept. 3 quake, White House spokesman Josh Earnest said the federal government was not changing policy related to hydraulic fracturing.

edit on 13-9-2016 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican
a reply to: reldra

You know, you might be able to run from the facts, but that doesn't make them go away. And the facts are that many MORE places in OK and elsewhere have been enduring fracking wells for years without so much as a peep from earthquakes. So please explain this problem, and how you are able to completely ignore it. If it weren't for that, I'd still be in the fracking camp with you.

Yes, but Oklahoma has a range of geology, and it's possible that injection in one area will do nothing while injection in another will do something. As I understand it, a lot of our faults are more vertical than horizontal, which means they can move more easily.

However, check this out (quakes in a single day, yesterday):

These points are quite distant; and speaking of our geology:

...it's concerning. I've worried about this before, but I don't remember Chickasha having earthquakes...
edit on 19Tue, 13 Sep 2016 19:41:45 -0500America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago9 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Greven

The problem to me with this line of thinking is that the faults and fraking don't stop at the Oklahoma boarder while the shakes pretty much do

This had led me to some weird places

Like if you look at the animation I posted above many of the earthquakes seem to sstart under tinker AFB leading me to think some of this might be underground base building and tunneling
I'm not ruling anything out at this point but for me it's just using fraking as an excuse

Call me crazy

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Here is what I have noticed...

In places where injection wells are in Oklahoma and ones in other places where quakes are on the rise....

They are always 5.0 km deep. Or...maybe this is some sort of default depth??

These bigger quakes or ones which aren't immediately related to injection wells aren't only 5.0km deep... they are more or less. Maybe... They may have been triggered by waste water being injected into the Earth, who knows. I don't think they know the exact science however the consensus does seem to be at least at USGS it's related to the mag 1+ spike in OK.

In regards to volcanic activity or relative too... check out this old thread I stumbled upon and read the other posts.. it's interesting. www.abovetopsecret.com...

The initial venting seen in the video (three separate regions) took place in Arkansas within the New Madrid seismic zone at previously dormant volcano sites at or near the Murfeesboro Crater of the Diamonds state park. The diamonds are located in the ancient calderas of a dormant volcano chain that’s now venting. The entire region is becoming active. As can be seen in the video taken by satellite, even parts of central Oklahoma are venting. Oklahoma also has a chain of very ancient volcanoes thatgradually were eroded almost flat by wind and rain.
sincedutch.wordpress.com...

OH WOW... this is from 1914 and is titled... "Volcanic Dust in Oklahoma" ogs.ou.edu...

After a scan read I believe they determined with their research the dust wasn't from a dormant or extinct volcano in OK but elsewhere.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Greven
Yes, but Oklahoma has a range of geology, and it's possible that injection in one area will do nothing while injection in another will do something. As I understand it, a lot of our faults are more vertical than horizontal, which means they can move more easily.

Well, given the sheer number of fracking wells now in this country, then it's safe to say that for the most part, injection has done little to nothing in the way of creating quakes- except for certain geologically sensitive areas. Otherwise, there'd be earthquakes all over in droves.

The problem again is determining which areas those are. It is a very complicated procedure that suffers from inaccurate velocity earth models, lack of close enough seismometers/telemetry in many areas, and much more technical things that will totally strain your brain. Even in the best case studies, geologists can only emerge with injection as a possible cause. There are only a few cases, relatively speaking, where there is a high degree of confidence that injection was a PRIMARY cause of emerging seismicity.

The quickest means to an end here is just reduce injection or shut down for a while and observe the effects on the frequency and magnitudes of quakes. It is still hard to say whether in OK, after all the reduction and shutting down, it is having a positive effect. It's going to take years most likely- unless a massive quake hits, kills a bunch of people, and it is determined that it was linked to injection. And even in that case the oil/gas industries are so utterly powerful that I seriously doubt they will EVER totally shut them down. MONEY for the living always ultimately trumps those dead and gone after the fact. That's just simple GREED 101.

I must say though that I am enjoying the lower gas prices.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: reldra
It's from fracking. Like the 5.6 one recently.

You sneer at the religious who call it God's judgment, but you turn around and are basically doing the same thing here.

How does 'you sneer at the religious who call it God's judgement' even make any sense? I have not done that nor come in here and called it God's judgement.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join