It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How about an advice forum?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I've noticed an increasing number of threads recently where people are seeking advice. Most of those threads end up in General Chit Chat forum, Members forum, Relationships forum, Rant forum, The Gray Area forum, Paranormal Studies forum, or Philosophy and Metaphysics forum. I'm not criticizing that arrangement; I think it works fine. But, is it ideal?

Having a forum that is specifically for advice would be nice for those of us who start those kinds of threads. It would make people feel more comfortable starting those kinds of threads. And, it would make it easier for people who enjoy giving advice to find the threads.

The way I see it, having a special forum for advice would lead to more advice-related threads being created. It would also probably help those seeking advice to get better advice because people who enjoy giving advice could find the threads easier.
edit on 12-9-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I would think that ATS would not want the liability of advice that has gone wrong.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I would think that ATS would not want the liability of advice that has gone wrong.

I think the following quote from the T&C covers it. The advice threads aren't against the T&C, that's why they're happening now. On the other hand, from a marketing perspective (getting a bad reputation for encouraging something that isn't necessarily a great idea), that's a different issue.

8) INDEMNIFICATION: You agree to protect and fully compensate the TAN Parties from any and all third-party claims, liability, damages, expenses and costs (including, but not limited to, reasonable attorneys' fees) arising from your use of the Websites, or violation of the Terms and Conditions of Use (or for members, the Additional Terms and Conditions of Membership) by you or any other user of your account (whether or not authorized), and you agree to indemnify and hold the TAN Parties harmless from any claim or demand, including reasonable attorneys' fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of your use of the Websites, your connection to the Websites, your violation of these terms and conditions, or your violation of the rights of another. 

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Medical advice? Suicide Advice? Go beat someone's a-- advice? Legal advice? Telling off the boss advice? Divorce advice?

I could go on and on...but the liability...of the generality of the levels of unqualified "advice"... would/could be really be a dangerous and libelous thing.

Theres always Dear Abby....

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Doesn't sound like a bad idea with the ones that are popping up now, maybe it could be under (general/personal advice) that way it's not something like suicide etc.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I think the "People" or "Members" forum would be the best ones to post such kind of threads.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 06:54 AM
link   
ADVICE ?

just my humble opinion - but like any unfiltered " source " - the value of advice on ATS follows a pretty standard bell curve

the majority being generic platitudes - with outliers of amazing solutions on one hand - countered by such utterlly insanley wrong crap on the other

my advive - dont come to ATS for advice - as without knowing what the correct answer will be a-priori - you will have little hope of discering whether the advice given was the best availiable or a short cut to a darwin award

PS - i am aware of he irony of this advice

new topics

top topics

join