It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity Views Spectacular Layered Rock Formations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
As Curiosity prepares to continue its journey up Mount Sharp it sent back this postcard of an area of finely layered sandstone rocks at Murray Buttes .

The Martian buttes and mesas rising above the surface are eroded remnants of ancient sandstone that originated when winds deposited sand after lower Mount Sharp had formed.

"Studying these buttes up close has given us a better understanding of ancient sand dunes that formed and were buried, chemically changed by groundwater, exhumed and eroded to form the landscape that we see today," Vasavada said.
www.jpl.nasa.gov...

Another fantastic picture from an alien world.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Very beautiful!

Thanks for sharing!

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Nice

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
As Curiosity prepares to continue its journey up Mount Sharp it sent back this postcard of an area of finely layered sandstone rocks at Murray Buttes .

The Martian buttes and mesas rising above the surface are eroded remnants of ancient sandstone that originated when winds deposited sand after lower Mount Sharp had formed.

"Studying these buttes up close has given us a better understanding of ancient sand dunes that formed and were buried, chemically changed by groundwater, exhumed and eroded to form the landscape that we see today," Vasavada said.
www.jpl.nasa.gov...

Another fantastic picture from an alien world.

A very alien world, just look at the state of the outcrop in the last picture, those rocks are so dry, they look as though they would just crumble to dust if you touched them. It's a wonder Curiosity hasn't been inundated from a fall, but then I suppose erosion from weather is so long term on Mars.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Those ridges look very similar to the ridges around the coastal path cliffs.

Amazing to see a different world up close.

Thanks Gortex.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Looks like it could be a formation right here on Earth. Alien but not too alien. I like that in a planet. Makes it easier to imagine colonizing it.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Martian Lichen ?

edit on 12-9-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I saw this on El Reg this morning and they called it Curiosity rover likes big buttes but it cannot lie around

The chorus has been drifting in and out all day.

Bottom right of the image. Powerslave? Maiden. Are you having it?

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Yeah I spotted it and the one center but was going more for monkey God for the one on the right but now you mention it , yep Powerslave.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
Martian Lichen ?

... and stromatolites, at the very least!

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Very nice pics, thanks for sharing :-)

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
in the science forums its 'Spectacular', in the mental forums it would have been, 'Mysterious or strange'.

very nice indeed. reminds me of AZ and Nevada deserts

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I was going to ask, deposited by wind ?

Earth and Mars are two totally different processes.

There are no fossils in those layers.
edit on 12-9-2016 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
While this is super cool, it isn't the pictures of an alien world that the 10 year old in me wants to see.

I hope I live long enough for them to take pictures of a world with complex life on it. Mammals or reptiles or something freaking cool.

new topics

top topics

join