It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US government halts oil pipeline opposed by Native Americans

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Should the Government overrule the Courts? Is the Government overstepping here? 

I'm not clear on the details, but courts make legal rulings. The government can take diplomatic action at times, and the ruling on the previous parties involved may not apply to the federal government's action. In some cases that may be a good thing. Given the history between the government and the Natives, I think providing diplomatic support is the least they could do in this case.
edit on 12-9-2016 by VP740 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-9-2016 by VP740 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   
=)

Makes me happy. They say some of the tribes chose their land specifically because of how unattractive the land was considered to be. I hear from the spirits of my ancestors that the Samis did the same thing. Who wants to live in a snowy hell for thousands and thousands of years in ancient times? Tough land.

Good for them. I'll smoke a cigarette in celebration as I don't really have a peace pipe or anything.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
Has the company responded? I haven't even found out who the" Texas-based company" is...

Still looking.

From the source article

Dakota Access, which is building the pipeline, declined to comment.

And, not sure that "asking" is what happened here....although I can only go by the words of the BBC article.

The government order came shortly after a district judge denied a request to halt construction on the pipeline.

www.bbc.com...
edit on Mon Sep 12 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Always the cynic, methinks the government may have requested the "voluntary... temporary" halt to the construction in order to deploy additional security forces in the area. Just a thought.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I was under the impression that the US government ok'd the deal, initially.

I am not a fan of this. I completely back the protest.

I just want the facts.

Government ok'd it.

Now government is backing off.

Im guessing if they can ok it, they can also put a halt to it?

It was shady the way they did this pipeline deal. Im glad it got put on hold. I think this is something most americans agree on, which is super rare.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

Should the Government overrule the Courts? Is the Government overstepping here?

The government didn't overrule the courts. They basically reversed their own previous decision. The Army Corps of Engineers has to approve any pipeline that has to cross a river, and this pipeline won't exist unless it is approved to cross the river somewhere. Basically, this is only temporary until the next president is seated and have ultimate say, unless the Army Corps totally denies it now after further review and consultations with the tribes. The protesters at Standing Rock are not going anywhere until January at the very earliest. They are fortifying their camp against the harsh winter weather conditions and preparing for a long stay.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpongeBeard
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Holy #!! Native Americans were actually listened to?!
This is HUGE!
A sign of things to come? One can only hope.

This will be forced down their throats soon enough. All they have to do is say their treaties were violated by them somehow and then their land is gone by imminent domain. let them whine to the UN will be the sentiment.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Lets not all forget about the Trail of Tears in the 1830s when native Americans were forced to leave their homes and die on this journey.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join