It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US government halts oil pipeline opposed by Native Americans

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
In a stunning development, the US government stepped in and stopped the oil pipeline construction.
This was shortly after a US District Judge denied a request to halt construction on the pipeline.

Although I agree that the project should not be fast-tracked and that every effort should be made to protect Sacred Lands and the Missouri River, this move seems incredible.
Should the Government overrule the Courts? Is the Government overstepping here?

The federal government then in effect overruled the judge, calling on the Texas-based company to voluntarily halt construction temporarily within 20 miles of Lake Oahe, which is considered sacred to the regional native tribes.
"This case has highlighted the need for a serious discussion on whether there should be nationwide reform with respect to considering tribes' views on these types of infrastructure projects," a joint statement by the departments of Justice, Army and the Interior said.
~~~~~~~
"Our hearts are full, this an historic day for the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe and for tribes across the nation," tribal chairman Dave Archambault II said. "Our voices have been heard."

www.bbc.com...

background
Authorities to build up at Standing Rock for Friday federal ruling; National Guard is an option
Several thousands Natives protest pipeline; Tribes sending supplies for the long haul
Protesters including children mauled by attack dogs let loose by private merc's

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Should the Government overrule the Courts? Is the Government overstepping here?

In the end, the US Supreme Court would be the last word in this.

I am glad to see that it has been put to a stop, at least for the time being.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   

In the beginning, the government ok'd the pipeline project.

What changed from their initial determination?

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
In a stunning development, the US government stepped in and stopped the oil pipeline construction.

It sounds like the feds *asked* the oil company to *voluntarily and temporarily* stop construction... Doesn't sound like anything has been overruled or that the government has stopped anything at this point... Has the company responded? I haven't even found out who the" Texas-based company" is...

Still looking.
edit on 9/12/2016 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I haven't even found out who the" Texas-based company" is...

Energy Transfer

Energy Transfer is a Texas-based company that began in 1995 as a small intrastate natural gas pipeline operator and is now one of the largest and most diversified investment grade master limited partnerships in the United States. Growing from roughly 200 miles of natural gas pipelines in 2002 to approximately 71,000 miles of natural gas, natural gas liquids (NGLs), refined products, and crude oil pipelines today, the Energy Transfer Family of Partnerships remains dedicated to providing exceptional service to its customers and attractive returns to its investors.

And specifically, them on the pipeline:

CRUDE OIL PIPELINES ( BAKKEN )

Dakota Access, LLC

Dakota Access, LLC ("Dakota Access") is developing a new pipeline to provide crude oil transportation service from point(s) of origin in the Bakken/Three Forks play in North Dakota to Patoka, Illinois.

Operations
edit on 12-9-2016 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

The election!

It's amazing how they "love the people" when an election is coming! Watch after the election and they put it back on track.

Us old farts have seen this happen for decades!

edit on 12-9-2016 by seeker1963 because: spelling

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

The election!

It's amazing how they "love the people" when an election is coming! Watch after the election and they put it back on track.

Us old farts have seen this happen for decades!

Exactly, I can't remember when big oil has ever been stopped from doing anything they want. Even when they spill and ruin the environment and peoples livelihoods, all they get is a slap on their economic wrist.

The Oligarchy will not be denied. The NAs will eventually be bought off .....

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

Thank you!

The Standing Rock Sioux Tribe objected to the pipeline running through their sacred lands. The feds aren't supposed to make the decision to use the land that belongs to someone else without their consent.

James Grijalva, a professor at the University of North Dakota School of Law and the director of the Tribal Environmental Law Project, said the case may have many complexities to think through. He said the case likely deals with the idea of environmental injustice, in which poor communities, as tribes often are, are put at a disproportionate risk of environmental problems because they lack the political and financial power to stop it from happening.

Also, Native American tribes are separate governments, and federal entities are supposed to consult with them on a government-to-government basis as they would a state, rather than wait for their input like other citizens and private groups, Grijalva said.

Source< br /> ..

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I was under the impression that the US government ok'd the deal, initially.

I am not a fan of this. I completely back the protest.

I just want the facts.

Government ok'd it.

Now government is backing off.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

I'm very happy to hear this... I suspect it's simply a feint so to speak, and the project will be resumed at some point (after the election of course). But it buys time and it's something to build on.

I also hope the Bundys and Judge Brown are watching and paying attention. Perhaps some sort of precedent has been set in terms of common law and the legal principle that similar "crimes" must be treated in like manners...

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

I was under the impression that the US government ok'd the deal, initially.

I honestly don't remember if he OK'd it or vetoed it... I know he said he was going to veto it. I haven't been paying much attention to this story, to be honest.

Feb. 2015:

President Barack Obama vetoed a bill Tuesday that would have approved the controversial Keystone XL pipeline

USA Today

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   

This isn't the Keystone pipeline.

Is it???

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Oh, crap, I'm sorry. See? I told you I hadn't been following very closely. Does this pipeline have a name? DO you have any info on the gov't supporting it? I'm having some success with "North Dakota Pipeline", but haven't found that Obama OK'd it. Yet.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Stopped or postponed?

Of course, only delaying tactics. Let the steam blow over. After a month of debate no one will care. But right now bulldozing sacred burial grounds is a little too hot.

Sicking dogs on Native Americans, a little too hot.

The internet outrage, too hot.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Try Bakken Pipeline

This has been in the works for some time:

On July 29, 2014, according to Dakota Access, it had met with the Iowa Utilities Board (IUB) for a first meeting. Dakota Access then wrote landowners in the path of the pipeline, requesting visits to survey or taking soil samples in preparation for voluntary easement or face condemnation of land under eminent domain. The Iowa attorney general's chief deputy said that if the IUB approved, Dakota Access would have the right to use eminent domain to gain access through a government agency.

edit on 12-9-2016 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

It sounds like the feds *asked* the oil company to *voluntarily and temporarily* stop construction... Doesn't sound like anything has been overruled or that the government has stopped anything at this point... Has the company responded? I haven't even found out who the" Texas-based company" is...

Still looking.

The company has no comment at this time on the government's request.

Which, just so we're all clear, the government hasn't ordered them to do anything, or overruled a judge. They've "called on" the company to voluntarily stop work. Which the company has already done before.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical
Its only an old treaty, promising the natives...

"...as long as wind blow, grass grow and the sky is blue".

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   

As soon as I read this it brought to mind how the government in China operates. And also knowing that the Obama administration operates exactly the same as the communist party in China does, I'm not too surprised..Good or bad isn't the issue here as much as the Obama administration ignoring the rule of law like he often does. In fact, it is quite rare for him to actually obey ANY laws in this country.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Great! Any nudge towards development of alternative replacements for oil is always a plus! Which, like inventions of the past that were PROVEN replacements for gas engines but "disappeared", has probably already been invented, covered up and disappeared. Gee, wonder who would have reason to do that,?

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Holy #!! Native Americans were actually listened to?!
This is HUGE!
A sign of things to come? One can only hope.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join