It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Songs You'll Never Understand

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 05:55 AM
link   
About 80% of anything by TOOL, just pick one and go try to find meaning. You'll get half way there then ,,,ummm HUH? Every song has about 3 meanings to them.

ETA, then you watch an official video then... blam a few more WTF's..
edit on 9/12/2016 by jappee because: (no reason given)

just as an example, there are MANY more.

One more edit, This include anything by A Perfect Circle, And Pucifer, All by Maynard Keenan.

I have to add..

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: jappee
About 80% of anything by TOOL, just pick one and go try to find meaning. You'll get half way there then ,,,ummm HUH? Every song has about 3 meanings to them.

Again, you are missing the context of this thread...
I'm a huge Tool fan, but the singer from Tool doesn't usually write lyrics in a 'linear' sense.
He doesn't tell you a clear story, "This happened, and then this happened, this is how I felt about it, this is what the song is about it".
There's meaning in there, but it's deeply mixed into metaphors, surreal ways of describing complex human emotions that are difficult to describe.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamnotadoctor

I thought the thread was about songs you'll never understand. Are you saying you understand my examples?

And I am agreeing with you Maynard is not for the meek..

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   

a reply to: Iamnotadoctor

I thought the thread was about songs you'll never understand. Are you saying you understand my examples?

And I am agreeing with you Maynard is not for the meek..

Putting it simply, the OP is talking about lyrics that you can read, that are generally 'linear', that tell a story about something that has happened to them.
The lyrics in the OP's song "White Flag" describe a failed relationship.
In those lyrics she takes responsibility for screwing up that relationship.

Now.... The OP is saying "I understand the lyrics but I don't agree with that mindset of the person, I don't understand how you can tell me a story about a relationship that has failed and how you are saying that you will always 'be' in love with that person even though you understand the relationship is done, and it's over."

The OP clearly stated:
"But I just want to tell Dido to get on with her life. Who would want to waste their life the way she's describing?".

He's saying, I understand your story, but I cannot understand why you would waste time still being in love with someone, and being depressed when you are admitting you drove that person away from you in the relationship.
She writes that she knows that the relationship is finished and that other person would never want to get back together with her because of all the trouble she caused them.

The thread is about lyrics that tell clear ,understandable stories.
But in understanding the lyrics, and the story the songwriter is telling, we as the listener disagree with their actual way of thinking about the situation...

That's why I said that Maynard's lyrics (in all of his bands) can't really be analysed the way the Dido song can be. Because Maynard rarely tells you a 'clear' story.

edit on 12-9-2016 by Iamnotadoctor because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   

One more edit, This include anything by A Perfect Circle, And Pucifer, All by Maynard Keenan.

I have to add..

To me Pu# has always been about wanting out of a stifling relationship and not being able to make the break cleanly, for whatever reason.

One of my Tool favourites is Stinkfist. On the surface it sounds like a song about fisting. But it's actually about battling with addiction.
Maynard is a superb lyricist.
edit on 12 9 1616 by Ruiner1978 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12 9 1616 by Ruiner1978 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join