It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need help learning how to react to dogs

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   
If you want to avoid their animals ... simple. Advise your customer that they will be charged an extra $250.00 for any animal to tech contact ... more if you're mauled. LOL

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Wow!!!!
I cannot believe people are so rude as to not secure their animals.

Not everyone like dogs.
Not all dogs can be trusted....even if the owner thinks they can.
If nothing else, their homeowners policy should be considered....they could cancel coverage of a dog who hurts someone.

I'd make sure the dogs got secured before I went into the house.
I've have contractors ask if we had dogs.
We always created a safe environment for both the dogs and the visitors.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Some dogs have bolted straight at me and had to literally be held back by the whole family.

That's BS. Those neighbors sound like #'s. You could always just carry a taser on you. You just call ahead of time, and threaten that if you feel threatened by the dogs then you will postpone the job site. There is no reason you should have to put up with that. It sounds ok other than the violent parts tho...lol

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

Wow!!!!
I cannot believe people are so rude as to not secure their animals.

pfffft they think it's cute.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   

That's really bad business.
No wonder I like dogs better than most people.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
i install solar for a living and finish most jobs in a day which puts me in the same position on a daily basis. A good amount of work happens inside the house too as we have to wire up the main panel to receive the power from the system. I have the task of greeting the homeowner in the morning and meeting the family pets. I can tell you that I never ever have the same problems that you are describing and here's why.

Dogs take on the responsibility of protecting the home. It's their job to shake down any and every person entering the home, even if it's a frequent visitor. The first thing you must do is address the dogs. Most of the time I'm bending down and scratching the dogs head at the same time I'm introducing myself. You must address the dog first and the person second or it's considered rude in the dogs world. look the animal in the eyes while at the same time verbally introducing yourself by saying something. I have the same greeting for every dog and it works for them all. "What's up Dawggaye!!" I smile at the dog and reach out with a hand to first let them get a sniff then give them a nice firm head scratch. I'm enthusiastic about making the new friend while showing that I'm not afraid and expecting to be on good terms with him as well as the family. Maybe it gives the dog the impression that I'm a family member that he's forgotten, or a trusted friend of the family I don't know. I think the gesture is the same as a handshake in effect. Be positive, welcoming, firm and attentative to the dog first while introducing yourself and saying good morning/hello to the homeowner. The dog sees your good intentions and is put at ease knowing that you mean no harm. Even slightly aggressive dogs are forced into a welcoming state by your good manners and intent to recognise them as doing a good job being the bouncer of the household. There is no need for dog treats, and some people, like myself don't feed their dogs treats anyways, or may only feed them certain things. I frequently find myself introducing myself to homeowners while kneeling and scratching their dogs back and roughing up his fur..

Funny thing, this process also puts the homeowners at ease as well and leads to a more trusting and pleasant experience on their side of the project as well.

I hope that you can learn to build a positive process for dealing with dogs at the job site. If you work for yourself it will become an inherrant part of the job and will lead to more referrals as well as happy customers. Good luck! I hope my input helps..

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I have three dogs and the easiest way is to turn to the side, basically don't give them access to keep sniffing like that. You could just also claim you are allergic, people are usually more receptive to that. Maybe ask them if they could put them away, that you love dogs, but you are allergic.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Two bits of advice.

Baby talk. Dogs love baby talk. Little dogs big dogs. The only dig i know that doesnt is one who was severly abused and at my sisters being fostered. They like the happy vibes baby talk puts out.

If you tall or physically intimidating sqyat diwn to say high to them.

If you dont want them sniffing your crotch (they dont mean anything untoward by it) simply offer the back of your hand for them to sniff. Not the palm as that could spook them or seem aggressive. Just put the back of your hand about a foot ir so un front of them. They will sniff it and then move on to other things to do now that they have decided you are a friend.

Dont ever make barking sounds with a dog you dont know. I was 8 years old did that (cause i dusnt kbow any better) and an Akita gave me 36 stitches on the crown of my head in response.

If the dog sniffs your hand wrist and doesnt look offended and hangs out. Slowly take your index finger and give him a light scratch behind his/her ears at the base where theres that little nook. Dog instantly loves you now. Scratch him under the armpit and hell be your bestvfriend.

Females are more aggressive and terittorial than the males and more likely to bite.

The bigger and scarier the dog often the more mellow and less agressive. Pit bulls dont have nasty temprements and act how they are raised. They are just very impressionable and have a ton of energy.

Once you begin to get comfortable around dogs youll see that they are actually one of the most loving animals on earth and really are very good buddies to have. You might even want one yourself.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Narc! This is the best answer yet.
I own 2 Weimaraner's and a White Sheppard. They are Vary excitable pups. Scarry if you do not know them.
I personally romove them from anywhere a contractor might need access to.
Now, yes my dogs are loud and will lick you to peices. But i fully understand not everyone is comfortable with them.

Make it very clear to a potential client.... REMOVE the unbehaved. That includeds children. πŸ€—

Dont trust them... and they are mine. I don't want to lose them, and i dont want you nervous.
edit on 12-9-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-9-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 12:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

Awww I want one of those now!

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Which oneπŸ˜…

The white sheppard is 11 in human years. He's my oldest, and i would hate to lose him to a stupid mistake.

The others are 1 and 2 doggy years.. and i could never lose them to a lazy mistake either.

Make sure your clients are clear on the matter.
It's a 2 way deal.. safety is best slandered. πŸ€—

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Anyone who doesn't put their dogs away when they have a stranger in the house is a mouth breather.

So many times I've had the "OH, he barks but he'll never bite." Quickly followed by "Oh my god, he's never done that to anyone before!"

If the owner doesn't put the dog away I say you have the right to do whatever you want to it, it'll do whatever it wants to you.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 03:02 AM
link   

My record, so far, at this job, is thirty two deliveries in one day. Way more than you will do, probably in a week. At least 3/4 of them have dogs.

I pet them for a few moments, I NEVER show or even THINK fear as they can smell it, and they forget about me.

Done deal. Never had a problem with a dog yet.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I would keep a bag of cheap doggie biscuits with me. That'll calm em down. Be sure to ask before you feed them though, some people get weird about you feeding their animals. Also if you kneel down and talk to them like a person, scratching their head and ears really fast they seem to relax a little once you give them some attention. Animals have personalities just like people.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Right. If I feel the dog is going to try to snap at me. I will ask for it to be restrained or I have to cancel the job.

This isn't just me talking. Anything we judge to be a satefy or health risk, we aren't supposed to do obviously.

This has only happened a few times and the customers complied every time.

Putting the pup away for 30 minutes is worth cable and internet!

edit on 12-9-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

AWW such happy doggies! ^.^

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

I do about 4-6 jobs a day. Some can last about 20-30 minutes. Every now and then I get those jobs that take 3 hours or more. Yes, the dogs calm down and wear themselves out when I'm there that long.

Had one little dog actually fall asleep growling next to me haha.

To be fair, I've probably had more problems with whacko customers than the dogs. I have had to walk off job a few times because of human hostility. When they start yelling and shouting I just gather up my tools and take off. One person actually had a weird meltdown, ran to their room and slammed the door, and just started thrashing stuff around. Okayyy time to go!

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Usually what I do is I never pay any attention to them. Ignore them.

If they are very annoying where they are constantly coming up to you just give them a quick scratch and pat them on the side. Then ignore them.

If it is a nervous dog don't get nervous yourself. Be overly inviting. But the problem with nervous dogs is they get easily scared. Ask the owner if he ever walks his dog around outside and allows other people to pet him. Or if he walks the dogs around a lot of other people.

If you ever think you have angered a dog just pretend to sneeze. It usually calms them down. If they keep doing it just keep fake sneezing. Make it realistic. The dog will calm down. But you have to do it when ever you made the dog angry. And right away too.

Sneezing after a play fight is there signal of friendliness. If you never noticed it before now you will.

Hostile dogs get angry and stand still. They wait for the other dog to attack. Don't stand still. It means you are ready for them to attack.

The problem is there are a lot of lazy people on this planet who only ever walk their dogs when no one else is outside. Or at places no one else goes to.

This is a problem.

So act lively. Don't stare at the dog. Ignore them. Sneeze when you anger or scare them. And only give attention for a brief moment if it is a dog that gets very close to you.

Scared #less dogs will always bark.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

We had a Weimaraner when I was a kid. She was an outside dog ... loving and very relaxed. She was my step father's constant companion. Kept to herself when he wasn't around, but she knew to tell me specifically if any dangerous wildlife was about. She hated snakes and wasn't afraid of bears at all.

I joined the Army and never really knew what became of her. The Old Man never owned another dog after her. Probably says something.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
One person actually had a weird meltdown, ran to their room and slammed the door, and just started thrashing stuff around. Okayyy time to go!

Yep ... as we used to say in the Army, "Time to un-ass the AO."

Do you ever get sent back out to the same site after an incident like that?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join