It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

I need help learning how to react to dogs

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
This probably could have gone in rant, but it's not really a rant so much as an annoyance.

Okay, so you know that I do home installations for work. Which means as soon as I knock on the front door, there's 4 dogs waiting to kill me.

Naturally, all the dogs want to come and start sniffing my kibble and bits. I kind of nudge them away with my knee or push their head away with my hands. I am gentle and I don't think I come off as especially angry, but perhaps a bit annoyed.

The customers usually seem put off by this. In fact, a couple have seemed offended. I recall some who have snidely commented like, "Put the dog away because he doesn't like dogs."

The first thing I do is confirm that the work order is correct, and then walk-through with the homeowner to make a plan of action.

It's kind of hard to achieve this when the dogs are barking like loony tunes and growling, and curious about my pants region. There have been a few where I asked the customer to restrain their dog or I would have to cancel the job. Some dogs have bolted straight at me and had to literally be held back by the whole family.

It's not that I 'hate' dogs. But this doesn't exactly help turn me into a dog lover either.

How can I react to customer's dogs without annoying them or offending them?

I don't want them obstructing or distracting me when I work, and I don't want their faces buried in my crotch the second I come in the door. And I don't want to have to make a threat to cancel the job either--no matter how tactful, it still comes off as rude I think.

Ugh. Any advice?

On the other hand, it's funny that a couple of people have offered to put their cat away when it was just harmlessly napping in the corner or something haha.

edit on 11-9-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

They want attention, dont give em any

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Avoid eye contact with the dogs.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Have you tried taking a shower first?

JK

Ask them to secure them before you enter. Tell them your allergic.

Do you personally call them before you visit?

-that would be a good time to ask politely.

I love dogs, but not in my work space, tell them your using power tools and they need to stay away for their safety.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Informer1958

This is the thing, i never avoid eye contact with dogs, and im raised with dogs..
I believe the myth is greater than the fact, avoiding eye contact implies submissive behavior

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Greetings-

Dogs work on 'energy' and the energy that You're transmitting is 'non-positive' as far as the dogs are concerned. Have You ever seen any Cesar Milan videos? There should be a bunch on YouTube™.. It is the same for the "owners" The owner fears the dog will bolt as soon as the door is opened; The owner is thinking this very same result as He/She opens the door and guess what??? You're correct the dog bolts as soon as the door leaves the jamb. Or the dog starts barking as soon as a solicitor comes a calling, why? Because the dog is picking up the 'energy/thoughts' they work on a whole other level really..

Next time try changing Your thoughts, (Change Your thought or You'll get what You've always got...) In the dog world, they go around and sniff each other's "Bee's wax" thats how they roll. Try just acknowledging this fact and don't look at it as a "negative" pretend they're just talking French or something...

You can also control the dogs with Your thoughts but this takes a lot of practice and I'd suggest a more compliant owner.. Any owner should secure the dogs regardless...

Try watching a few videos and I wouldn't hide any sausages for later...

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Anytime a worker (plumber/ac man/Ect) comes over we put the small dogs away in the room because they have bad manners. The old big one stays out because once he does an ocular pat down he gives no f's.

So they are rude customers. Since it comes with the territory(lols) I do have one piece of advice. Greet the dogs as you would an eager three year old. Once they get the hey who are you how are you where ya been today out of thier system dogs tend to get distracted doing other things.

Dogs are incredibly single minded and most of the time nervous about strangers.

Hey... If you wanna go the extra mile bring a Baggie of milk bones. Give them one and they spend the rest of the time trying to get on your good side to eat the rest of the baggie.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Our dispatch sends an automated notification of my estimated arrival time; apparently they give a few reminders like put the dogs away so that the tech can work efficiently.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   
IMO. OK. The thing is, you don't like dogs. They KNOW that. They know your emotions better than humans do. So they react to it. So you have two options.

1. Put it in the contract. No dogs. Curb your dogs. Dogs are not welcome. If you lose a few contracts, meh? No dogs is more important to you.

2. Learn to like dogs to the point you are not putting out the "bad vibes" (your emotional reaction) for them to feed upon. Because news flash: They're not going to hurt you, even though the fact is that it is YOU who are invading THEIR turf. When you cringe, they know it. So don't cringe. Be confident that you can do anything you need to do without the dogs' "help." You need to be a dominant human, just like their owner. That means you could take thirty seconds to make friends. Just scratch a dog's back. They love it and will be your friend forever if you just do it.

Once you learn to do that, the dogs will quickly get bored and leave you alone.

Life long fact. Dogs and cats both love me, and it's only because I like them and give them a wee bit of attention. I have a couple of in-your-face cats but do not own a dog any longer. But they still always like me.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

Well, I get a few sweet and friendly dogs every now and then too. Have had a lot of customers say, "Wow he usually doesn't like anybody!" when they come and want attention from me.

If I sense they aren't going to nip at me, usually I let them smell my hand a bit and pet them a little so that they understand I'm not a threat.

I agree about the energy thing, but I don't think it's me they're reacting to. One dog that had to have a mom and son combo hold it back--well, after they put the dog in a spare room--mom and son did nothing but yell at each other all morning. So it wasn't hard to see where the dog learned to be hostile.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   
personally if i were you i'd take a handful of treats on all jobs, and when there's a dog there, act confident, take a treat out of your pocket, look the dog directly in the eyes and command it 'sit'.. not loud, just commanding, 90% of dogs will respond in the way you'd expect, it's the other 10% i'd be worried about!

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Informer1958

DO NOT avoid eye contact, but don't over do it and "lock eyes" with them. That's a direct threat. That's when they can attack. Be happy! Treat 'em like a long lost friend.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Start watching the Dog Whisperer.

He has a bunch of episodes where he trains the owners on how to behave with dogs.

From my personal experience. Ignore the dogs completely when first seeing them. Act strong and confident.

The dogs will pick up on that and ignore ya.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Unfortunately, there is no real answer other than a juicy steak. There are too many bad dog owners out there.

Passive or nervous body language sets off dogs, they think you can't be trusted and err on the side of caution.

I would look over them and ignore them, as well as firm sit and back commands.

The problem is the owners will be too inconstant with socialization, so either way you are taking a risk.

I wouldn't take the risk just to please a customer, you are not Ceasar Milan.

Train the owner, not the dog.

Ask politely.

"sir, can you secure your dog?"

If they're offended then too bad, so sad.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

I like well-behaved dogs more than the Cujos.

It's a bit of a gray area for me. I never had a dog in my life and don't plan to get one right now. I pet them and talk to them a lot on the job. Not every dog is the same of course.

Some dogs that do get put away (without my request,) I almost want to ask the owners to let them out because their cutesy whining breaks my heart.

Actually did a couple installations for dog trainers and got to see some neat tricks and stuff.

However, have seen some dogs nearly tear down fences.

edit on 11-9-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   
If I were you I would let them know you aren't comfortable with the dogs free roaming while you're there. If they dislike it they'll have to get over it, you know? That or, if you really want to try getting more comfortable with dogs, try taking a minute to let them sniff you, pet them and then ask if they could be put away so you can work comfortably. I'm guessing you don't own dogs, but if any of your friends do I'd suggest meeting up at a dog park and meeting dogs there to get used to being around them! Ive seen people do it at my local dog park. My dog is going blind and has a short temper, so he does tend to jump and snap at people (he's 14 years old, even if he managed to bite it barely hurts at all). Meeting a lot of dogs helps you spot the ones that aren't as easy to warm up with & also makes you feel more at ease around them.

Also, when we have any kind of company and they're nervous around the dogs we put all 3 away with no complaints. We aren't rude people, we understand that sometimes humans and animals don't click and that's fine.

Good luck!

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Here's the thing though...it's not you, it's the owners.

Owners train their dogs how to handle strangers. For example, we've trained our dog to stand her ground politely and ignore passive strangers until we've properly introduced them, and we have a front entrance that facilitates this.

If the owners are nervous/aloof/stressed, the dogs will react to their energy before they react to whatever you're giving off.

There really isn't much you can do for the duration of an install other than ignore bad mannered dogs or ask owners politely to keep the dogs at bay while you work. Unfortunstely, some people have so anthropomorphized their animals that you might as well have said, " Wow, your baby is very ugly and stupid, please remove it from my presence."

Unless you're giving off some kind of strange serial killer vibe...it's not you that need to work on anything, it's the dog owners.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I would ignore the eye contact thing if it looks like this guy though...

Slowly walk backwards to the truck.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Informer1958

Some dogs that are more aggressive and jumpy dont like eye contact until they trust you.

With these types of dogs ill make a quick glance and then look away and build up the duratiom of eye contact over time. With these dogs i will generally sit down (im 6'3 and can be intimidating to dogs) and stick a hand out calmly and slowly and let them sniff me and get closer over time.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Thanks for the reply.

I know this is the case. I have seen some dogs living in bad conditions and they were probably angry for it, whether neglected and/or abused. Have done some jobs for obvious drug dealers and their dogs were loco!

One part about this career is that we just have to block out as much as we can, stay neutral and objective, focus on the work and get the hell out of there.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join