It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

If Hillary Clinton should withdraw for health reasons, how should the DNC proceed?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Years ago someone told me "perception is reality". It took me a while to understand what that really meant. No matter what her true medical reality is, this is a bad optic. She could be as healthy as a horse but, this video gives the perception that all that talk about her health is valid. What does that mean in terms of her staying the course? I have no idea. If she stays she will need to be seen A LOT being very active and not looking tired to counter this vid. If she drops out there are certainly problems for the DNC to overcome.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   

I don't think she'll drop out either. The establishment (I hate that term now) does not want a President who isn't beholden to them and Bernie can't be played. God how unbelievably sad not enough people recognized the value in that alone...

Anyway, if by some miracle she did drop out (I don't wish her or anyone else ill or harm), I feel like that the DNC would absolutely have to go with Bernie or there would be such huge backlash they might be the party to die first in this election.

At this point though I don't think there are too many undecided voters, this may not hurt Hillary enough to cost Democrats the election.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=21231072]DJW001[post]. If she does withdraw, how should the DNC proceed? Who would you like to see on the ticket?

/[post]

what is the point; they've got her standing like a marionette, will the DNC listen to ATS? this is all academic
edit on 11-9-2016 by TheConstruKctionofLight because: edi

edit on Sun Sep 11 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: attempt to fix BB code

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Khaleesi

100%. The optics are bad and if she's staying the course, which I'm sure she will, she's going to need to really put some serious effort into countering it.

a reply to: Kali74

I feel like that the DNC would absolutely have to go with Bernie or there would be such huge backlash they might be the party to die first in this election

That's my thinking too.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

The process is difficult because you are hard pressed to get the new name on a ballot. Most of them are already out there. As far is if she was elected and fell ill, the VP is then POTUS and he appoints a new VP. If they die after being sworn in line of true succession kicks in and the VP goes POTUS and Speaker becomes VP.

So think about this. If she won, and then fell ill and stepped down, Kaine could appoint Obama as his VP. God forbid anything happened to Kaine he would have a 3rd term...hmmmmm.....

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

She's a 70 year-old woman who dresses to cover every inch of flesh from her neck down save for her hands.

Yeah. Some medications (what I take, for example) make people extra sensitive to sunlight. I'm not sure what all she takes, but I just avoid the sun. If I have to be in it, I wear long sleeves, etc.

But yeah, I completely agree with your post.

It's time for the Democrats and the Clinton campaign to do the math and weigh her chances.

I couldn't agree more! I don't wish ANYTHING bad on Hillary, but because of appearances and the history of the right-wing seizing on her "health issues" every time she has a tummy ache, I think it's become a serious problem for Democrats.

The question for me is one of logistics. If this was a month ago, I'd 100% say she should just drop out. At this point, it might not do any good.

That's the scary part. I suppose the DNC could do a write-in campaign...

Found this on Ballotpedia:

Replacing a candidate's name in late September could prove challenging. The parties would likely have to look to the courts. As Politico noted on August 4, 2016, the courts have shown a willingness to work with the parties on the issue of deadlines: "Courts have tended to discard ballot deadlines in favor of having two parties represented on the ballot.”[10] In 2002, for instance, the New Jersey Supreme Court allowed Democrats to replace their nominee for a U.S. Senate seat 15 days after the certification deadline.[11] In addition to this, election officials in the states have been known to show some leeway on the deadlines. Richard Winger, an expert on ballot access laws, told Ballotpedia by email, “even when major parties have missed deadlines for certifying presidential and vice-presidential nominees, or presidential elector candidates, election officials have always set the deadline aside.”[12]

The other factor to consider, however, is whether or not the opposing party would file lawsuits seeking to enforce state laws as they are written and prevent a replacement nominee from appearing on the ballot. This would consume a considerable amount time, energy, and resource for both parties but would likely exacerbate the struggles of the party trying to get its replacement nominee on the ballot.

The DNC must be scrambling right now... I hope so!

Really great post!

edit on 9/11/2016 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
An October surprise...?

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlaskanDad
a reply to: DJW001

The DNC Rules Are Clear If Hillary Drops Out The Second Candidate With The Highest Number Of Delegates Gets The Nomination

Your source is wrong. Here it is straight from the horse's mouth:

www.demrulz.org...

The Democratic National Committee would choose the new candidate.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Thanks for that. Can you narrow down where that's found in the document? I've been searching for many terms, but cannot locate the rule... I'd rather not read the entire 23 pages.

Found it. Article Two, Section 7 (c).

Special meetings of the National Committee may be held upon the call of the Chairperson
with the approval of the Executive Committee with reasonable notice to the members, and no action may
be taken at such a special meeting unless such proposed action was included in the notice of the special
meeting. The foregoing notwithstanding, a special meeting to fill a vacancy on the National ticket shall be
held on the call of the Chairperson
, who shall set the date for such meeting in accordance with the
procedural rules provided for in Article Two, Section 8(d) of these Bylaws.

edit on 9/11/2016 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Well, Hillary was supposed to have picked Bernie Sanders as VP but he's only good in a comedic sketch. The Chairperson may choose that third runner up O'Malley. Then again the DNC might as well dissolve. Sigh.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

originally posted by: MsAphrodite

originally posted by: DJW001

I have just skimmed the DNC Charter. There is nothing specific about how to proceed should a nominated candidate withdraw, but Article Two, Section 1(c) gives the Democratic National Committee the authority to "[fill] vacancies in the nominations for the office of the President and Vice President." It sounds like they can start from scratch and choose whoever they want.

I'm also wondering if Bernie's having already registered himself back as an Independent would create a loop hole? He's not currently a registered Democrat.

Do you have a source for that?

blogs.wsj.com...

qz.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: MsAphrodite

Bernie never was a Democrat.

According to a Democratic National Committee aide, Sanders would not have a problem getting on Democratic primary and caucus ballots because the current party rules do not call for presidential candidates to be registered members of the party.

Source

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I don't think there is a health issue. I just think that every time Hillary sneezes, someone makes a conspiracy about it instead of attacking her policy.

Still, it's good to research what would happen.
edit on 11pmSun, 11 Sep 2016 18:47:21 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

I have just skimmed the DNC Charter. There is nothing specific about how to proceed should a nominated candidate withdraw, but Article Two, Section 1(c) gives the Democratic National Committee the authority to "[fill] vacancies in the nominations for the office of the President and Vice President." It sounds like they can start from scratch and choose whoever they want.

I'm also wondering if Bernie's having already registered himself back as an Independent would create a loop hole? He's not currently a registered Democrat.

Do you have a source for that?

blogs.wsj.com...

qz.com...

Yeah, that's all I could find, too. No actual source saying he has already left the party though...only his intentions to leave.

He would be foolish to leave the party before the November election.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Hillary doesn't handle stress well. Remember when she "quit"" as SoS a year early because she couldn't take it? She had a public breakdown and couldn't even style her own hair anymore.

I think that as President she would be forced as a result of these physical limitations to delegate a lot more work to subordinates. Whether that's a good thing or not, I'm not sure.

Anyways for your topic... the DNC can't remove her and then proceed. The RNC and DNC are both stuck with their people, losing either candidate effectively ends the campaign and nominates the other as the winner. No new person could build a following in time.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
So think about this. If she won, and then fell ill and stepped down, Kaine could appoint Obama as his VP. God forbid anything happened to Kaine he would have a 3rd term...hmmmmm.....

No he can't. In order to be VP you must be qualified to be President, after the next election Obama will have hit his term limit and no longer be qualified. If he somehow got into a position in the line of succession and the line got to him, it would skip over him.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlaskanDad

The DNC Rules Are Clear If Hillary Drops Out The Second Candidate With The Highest Number Of Delegates Gets The Nomination

Your source is wrong. Here it is straight from the horse's mouth:

www.demrulz.org...

The Democratic National Committee would choose the new candidate.

Look again!

If Clinton steps aside Sanders becomes the nominee, all because Bernie’s name was read into nomination. It was something the delegates pressed for in the rules committee.The DNC rules are clear if she drops out the second candidate with the highest number of delegates gets the nomination, in this case, Bernie Sanders! He did not Concede with Acclamation so he kept his delegates he is next in line according to delegate count.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

Where, exactly, is that in the party bi-laws?

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Sanders and/or Kerry!

She's got no hope after that footage of her collapsing into the car.

Even if its true she couldn't handle the heat, its clear she hasn't got the strength to be President.

She should drop out now and give Sanders a chance to run.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

I don't think she'll drop out either. The establishment (I hate that term now) does not want a President who isn't beholden to them and Bernie can't be played. God how unbelievably sad not enough people recognized the value in that alone...

Anyway, if by some miracle she did drop out (I don't wish her or anyone else ill or harm), I feel like that the DNC would absolutely have to go with Bernie or there would be such huge backlash they might be the party to die first in this election.

At this point though I don't think there are too many undecided voters, this may not hurt Hillary enough to cost Democrats the election.

LOL bernie was played. HE never had a chance. Then he CAVED and betrayed his revolution by endorsing clinton.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join