It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dozens Of Dying Birds Rain From The Sky Over Boston

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 04:37 AM
link   
So far just a mystery with no firm answers. There is a video that accompanies the article.

Dozens of birds rained down from the sky over the Boston neighborhood of Dorchester on Thursday morning.

All of the birds ― either 47 or 48, depending on the report ― were grackles, a type of songbird. Thirty-three ultimately died, The Boston Herald reported.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Also evidently a cat or two has died also depending on the link. Maybe the cat (s) ate a bird ? Anyway not like a couple of years ago when hundreds of Black Birds fell out of the sky dead and every excuse all the way to fire works was blamed..
www.bostonherald.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Sometimes birds migrate, get lost, fly to exhaustion, can't find a food source and literally die on the wing searching.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 05:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Sometimes birds migrate, get lost, fly to exhaustion, can't find a food source and literally die on the wing searching.

This article from a study conducted during 2014 linked pesticides to bird mortality. news.nationalgeographic.com...

Pesticides don't just kill pests. New research out of the Netherlands provides compelling evidence linking a widely used class of insecticides to population declines across 14 species of birds.

Which makes me wonder if there has been any spraying for Mosquitoes in the local area ?

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 05:14 AM
link   
That's not a good sign .....IF the cats death is linked to the birds....( but no proof on that ) ...if the bird died from exhaustion and the cat ate it, then the cat wouldn't die...... If the birds were poisoned and the cat ate one, then the cat would be poisoned too. So, if the cats death is linked to eating one of the birds , then they were poisoned somehow....maybe a toxic gas ?

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 06:14 AM
link   

I would like to point something out....
The article refers to the grackle as a 'songbird'. All I have heard them emit is a croaking sound.
Here is an article about the grackle, including its penchant for killing songbirds.
Morning Call

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Here is some possible explanations . www.birdsfallfromsky.com... I have heard of flocks of budgerigars falling out of the sky in summer but sadly no link .

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 06:36 AM
link   

I remember an older video on Youtube,describing how they planned to wipe out the population,and kind of scary they said they had capability of taking out smaller groups with a beam from a sattelite,so they wouldn't have to kill everyone,I'm wondering,are they honing their skills?

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

The article refers to the grackle as a 'songbird'. All I have heard them emit is a croaking sound.
Here is an article about the grackle, including its penchant for killing songbirds.
Morning Call

Auhh that explains it, the Grackles CROAKED !

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

originally posted by: butcherguy

Morning Call

Auhh that explains it, the Grackles CROAKED !

A good one!
I suspected that they were ganged up upon by flocks of Ruby crowned kinglets out for revenge!😉

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Grackles aren't song birds by any stretch of the imagination, they are non-native pests that travel in large flocks occasionally. They like eating garbage, but are often seen scouting for worms on peoples lawns. Many times people, and even the local government, will poison them to cull the flocks and that is what I suspect is the situation here.

They are useless birds from the point of view that they compete with the native ones and spread disease, plus they are dirty, ugly, and noisy. They are more likely to be seen in urban settings. They will move through wooded areas in huge flocks to reach open lawns around towns and cities. They don't migrate more than locally and I believe they winter over rather than fly south. To me they are like rats with wings and a kin to English House Sparrows that need to be killed off as well.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

These creatures were around long before humans, perhaps WE are the pests that need to be killed off? People are dirty, ugly, and noisy- if we weren't so wasteful and didn't leave our trash out, there wouldn't be such an attraction for animals trying to stay alive where most of their habitat and natural food sources had been eliminated by "civilization".

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

I can agree with that if I was as self loathing as you seem to be, but grackles are totally in a suitable environment in our most dense urban areas, it's like they were made for it. I suppose if they weren't such a threat to our threatened and endangered local native birds they would be welcomed as symbiotic partners with humans, but like European brown rats they cause many problems and should be at the very least controlled or at best eliminated from the western hemisphere all together.

But if you like living with disease bearing vermin that populate out of control, that's on you. Personally I'd like to see more falcons encouraged to live in the inner cities like they did in Detroit. When I went to college downtown, I'd park on the top of the parking deck to watch the falcons take out pigeons and other pest birds. That is far better than poisoning them IMO.

ETA: On the campus, when starlings and grackles would flock into the the trees, they would use fireworks (illegal at the time) to chase them off making them a problem elsewhere. That was their "humane" way of handling it by giving no quarter or safe space for those special avian snowflakes when the weather started to turn cold.
edit on 11-9-2016 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typo

edit on 11-9-2016 by MichiganSwampBuck because: another typo

edit on 11-9-2016 by MichiganSwampBuck because: added an extra comment

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Rats are actually less likely to spread disease than dogs... You nailed me right on the nose, though. I do hate myself and most humans. While there are reasons why birds might drop out of the sky that don't have anything to do with people, I suspect that many (if not most) of the recent mass die-offs of animal life are the result of human carelessness and other wonderful traits we exhibit.
edit on 9112016 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

I mentioned rats, then changed that to the European brown rat as I noticed your avatar and profile name. I can only be certain rats were know for the fleas that carried the black plague and that deer mice here in the states can carry hanta virus. However both can cause damage to buildings and can infest places to the point of leaving a lot of droppings, hence the label of vermin.

Concerning these kinds of birds dropping dead, it's been my experience that they have been poisoned on purpose, although a number of other reasons could be to blame. Of course IMO the use of any poison to control unwanted plants and animals is lazy and dangerous.

Sorry to hear you actually suffer from self loathing, I've been there and it is a dark place. I hope that you can see that humans can be (and many times are) better than that and pull yourself out of that funk. Be the better human in what every you do and restore your self respect in spite of the rest of humanity. I suspect you are a fine person just from your honesty in that last post and wish you the best.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   
APOCALYPSE!!

Just playin........but seriously ........

APOCALYPSE!!!

new topics

top topics

join