It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Review of the Original Star Trek Episode - Sept 8, 1966 :)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   

On Sept. 8, 1966, Star Trek was beamed to American homes via NBC during the 8:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. hour. The Hollywood Reporter's review of the first aired episode, titled "The Man Trap," is below.

The planets come into play in the latest entry in the sci-fi category. Most of the action takes place on a spacecraft called USS Enterprise which has a medical group aboard to visit a planet outpost where guest stars Jeanne Bal as Nancy Crater and Alfred Ryder, as Prof. Crater, have been living several years doing research allegedly for their archeological designs.

Soon after the government scientists land, namely William Shatner as Capt. James T. Kirk, and Leonard Nimoy, as chief science officer Spock, two of their crew are mysteriously killed, red circles on their faces being the mark of the terrorist. The audience is soon informed who the killer is and learns the strange power of changing from Mrs. Crater to women the two stars knew years back, later transforming herself into men she wants to dispose of, and does except for Nimoy, whom Shatner saves at the last second.

There's quite a bit of suspense and tricks with gadgets that will please the sci-fi buffs no end.

Featured as regulars are Deforest Kelley, Grace Lee Whitney, George Takei and Nichelle Nichols. Mark Daniels directed with an eye for building suspense; people running in and out of rooms and passageways excitedly. Gene Roddenberry was creator and executive producer. Gene Coons produced for Norway productions in association with Desilu and NBC. Alexander Courage wrote the theme song called "Star Trek Theme."

Should be a winner. — Bill Ornstein

www.hollywoodreporter.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: SentientCentenarian

I even liked the pilot...that said, TOS has not aged very well as far as writing and acting.

The props and design are fine, since even the fan made stuff using TOS era designs are awesome.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I wonder how long Star Trek would have lasted had it been started in today's PC laden society?

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: JDeLattre89

I'm not even sure what people mean by 'PC' anymore.

But StarTrek was a real push on social mores.

I remember being shocked (shocked I tell you!) by an Asian cast member, a Russian castmember and most of all, a black woman in a position of some authority; not to mention the short skirts!

When Uhura kissed Kirk it created a major sensation with newspaper editorials condemning the scene.

As the comments on that site attest, the choices back then were 'Lost in Space', the Dick Van Dyke show and the likes of Marshall Dillon. We were just coming out of the Westerns run of series and they needed something new and fresh.

I once met the guy who wrote 'Trouble with Tribbles' - he was in college at the time and there was open submission for screenplays. He's made a living ever since by appearing at conventions; he's written several other SF books but none that have made a splash that I know of.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   

It was fun to watch some of the early episodes and to think this franchise was nearly toast if it had not have been for the fans and the way they campaigned the studio

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Just a note. The episodes you see today are chopped. Pieces of the story are missing. Back then episodes were 52 minutes long. Today's are about 44, for commercials. So something needs to go for the sponsors. Bill made a good review. He would have looked the ass if he had panned it.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
The single pre-Kirk episode was amazing. Audiences thought it was "too cerebral". I thought it was amazing & more or less hate TOS otherwise.

Too cerebral... Society has been going to hell for a long time.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: JDeLattre89

I suggest that you check out the episodes in "Star Trek Generations." I've commented in the appropriate forum of how episode after episode is a teaching tool for PCness, with pointed reminders of how backward the Earth was in the 20th century plus. the Prime Directive is just the icing on the Star Trek cake.

Not to suggest that the efforts to educate trekkies is at all bad, but, it is blatant...'course few will notice.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   
www.ibtimes.co.uk...

This is going to shock a few Trekkies

In fact DeForest Kelley, who went on to play Dr.'Bones' McCoy was first offered the role of the "alien from Mars" in 1964, but turned down the role. The creator of the Star Trek series Gene Roddenberry, considered Adam West to portray the Enterprises' resident scientist, however he was shooting for the film Robinson Crusoe on Mars and was unavailable for the role. Nichelle Nichols was also considered for the role of Spock but was later cast as Lieutenant Ahura.

And he was supposed to have a tail

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

Actually the first person considered for first officer was Majel Barrett. She ended up as Nurse Chapel, Lwaqanna(sp) Troi, computer voice and Gene Roddenberry's wife. Wanna try to educate us again?

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

You learn something new every day intrepid .

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

That was a fan boi site. Speculation. Not your fault. Although Lt Ahura should have been a giveaway.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Just a note. The episodes you see today are chopped. Pieces of the story are missing. Back then episodes were 52 minutes long. Today's are about 44, for commercials. So something needs to go for the sponsors. Bill made a good review. He would have looked the ass if he had panned it.

BBC America has a marathon going on right now.

I'm not sure but I THINK they may be the original, longer episodes. I haven't timed them, but the commercials seem to be no longer/more than normal, and it is 70 minutes between each episode.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   
If you want a real shock, compare Kirk then to William Shatner in Boston Legal. He's unrecognizable.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Don't forget TJ Hooker. Where he seemed to first get a wig.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Denny Crane!!

posted on Mar, 10 2023 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Update - March 10, 2023

William Shatner (James T. Kirk of Star Trek), age 91, says he doesn't have long to live. Is Reflecting on his Legacy.

Source: www.foxnews.com...

top topics

join