It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer-killing USB drives now on sale

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

A bat, hammer or smashing the device/pouring water in to it could however draw attention. As far as i can see all you do with this thing is plug it in, wait a second or two, until it builds a charge and then discharges. And apparently it renders the system in operable down to component damage.

So i suppose it's somewhat more covert in nature than the other destructive options.
edit on 11-9-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

There are other devices someone could kill with this, not just a PC usb port. Would this not effectively kill a TV, Game console, DVD/Blu Ray player, cable box or other equipment as well?? How about a server room? Sneak in and one by one servers get knocked offline with plug and play??

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

I imagine it would effect a wide range of devices. Basically anything with a USB port that's not protected against power surges up to 240v.
edit on 11-9-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   

A bat, hammer or smashing the device/pouring water in to it could however draw attention.

Ya! So? What your point?

You could just smash it all quietly like, or just pick it up and fling it into the tub or out a open window, it really would take a second. And pouring water on it or in the hardcase really is not that hard to do, or loud.

Besides what would be the point of destroying something but doing it covertly? None what so ever as the end result will be the same.

Besides if they were really trying to kill the computer to sort of say, that device is not very effective at doing that at all. Which just says that its a gimmick, somebody is just playing at it, and not really trying to destroy the device and all data on it at all, its just for show, and who knows may be a cool thing to do now a days. Kind of like chia pet of the digital world.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 06:07 AM
link   

"Ya! So? What your point? "

I think i made my point that being stealth.

"Besides what would be the point of destroying something but doing it covertly?"

Anonymity and the ability remain undetected.

"Who knows may be a cool thing to do now a days. Kind of like chia pet of the digital world."

More like the "Chia Pet" of a would be digital terrorist or disgruntled employee if you ask me. I don't see it being a cool thing to do but the applications are self evident, given a little thought.
edit on 12-9-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

I remember on Win98 there was a hidden menu...
Everybody still on win98, type c:*con*con into your explorer adress bar and hit enter.

* stands for backslash
edit on 13-9-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

There's even one in old cp/m 86. Found it by accident one night by laying something on a keyboard. Something like space space period space space space return.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

On a similar way I found out how to get access to all levels in the old DOS Kelloggs game, had to walk away for a second while in the intro level standing in the right corner and when I came back poor Tony was drowning outside the level borders. Use Croco the smacks toad -bang- access granted.

Sometimes stupid things happen... but the con con bug was relayed to me.
edit on 13-9-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I still have my Amiga 'pc crasher' CD which instantly crashes (sometimes permanently) any PC
Only used it a few times, once in a gubmint building..shhhh...
But i'm not going to try it on the mac!

Personally i prefer the YT series 'will it blend?' where they throw things like smartphones in a blender.......

If the discharge is fast enough it could destroy the motherboard AND h.d. Most stuff has surge supressors on the board but they need time to react, but also they can drain 200v easily if the current is small, this thing would mostly hit the usb driver & HD driver i expect, the rest probably survives.....

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Sorry dude I don't get your point. Its a computer, its up there with petals and morning dew, basically pretty fragile freaking static shocks will shut it down.

And since when is a bat not considered stealthy, or fast, or not being circumspect or inconspicuous? Never that's when. I mean you can walk on by, all casual like, then. BAM! Smack that PC in a quick second and get out. With this thing, you have to plug it in, probably have to wait for the computer to boot up, then have to install it, then wait for who knows how long for it to load and whatever else then likely go through 20 pop up windows and then, maybe it will do something.

Its far from the most obvious way or quickest way, I mean who has 20 minutes to try and do something like that inconspicuous? And anonymity goes out the window when you have to sit there for who knows how long and plug and play with it, it seems pretty ridiculous and not stealthy at all. Even for the disgruntled worker or whatever you said, I mean all you would have to do is check the log on who was using the comp at that particular time, and there is your culprit.

Besides people and companies do the work of this thing pretty well. I mean have you heard of Windows 10? It pretty good at destroying computers as well. No need to pay for something else, it even boots up and installs itself, makes your computer twice as crappy and as slow, since that last windows update.

Anyways its self evident that a bat will solve this problem while the guy with the USB drive is still scratching his ass trying to install it on some computer. It is a chia pet of the digital kind.
edit on 2amSaturdayam172016f6amSat, 17 Sep 2016 02:51:29 -0500 by galadofwarthethird because: typo

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 03:58 AM
link   
SPAM removed by admin
edit on Sep 18th 2016 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 05:15 AM
link   

You don't install anything you simply plug in the device and await the desired result. But if you cannot see the point then im not going to try and drag your away from you bat, which coincidentally can be considered an offensive weapon in some nations. Just like this device should be classified, difference being it fits in your pocket.

I actually came around to Windows 10 once i disabled all the intrusive surveillance aspects of the software. Kind of required it all the same to run DX12.
edit on 17-9-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 05:19 AM
link   
a reply to: readthetruth3566757

I imagine the market for such a device extends to numerous areas of revenge and vandalism not just ex spouses, but you get the idea. I can see these being seriously prohibited should someone manage to do some serious damage with such a device.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
SPAM removed by admin

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
???

Well that would not be my opinion, no.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Removed Spam

edit on 9/20/2016 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Buy a handful of them and just leave one at a starbucks every now and then. Leave it close by that hipster that thinks he is unique by being a follower. Or perhaps leave one next to the chick who is overly impressed with herself and constantly tells people how to live life from her vast experience during her 20 years of life.

I mean, after all, isn't that what a douchebag device like this is good for? Being a lukewarm anarchist that is.

If you want to protect your data from the alphabat agencies just use something like veracrypt.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Apollumi

"I mean, after all, isn't that what a douchebag device like this is good for? Being a lukewarm anarchist that is."

I tend to agree with you although the device in question is advertised as a testing tool, created to test USB ports against power surge attacks, there really does not seem to be any legitimate use for the thing other than for nefarious purposes.

I mean as far as i can ascertain any USB port you plug the thing into will ultimately be damaged by doing so considering, far as i am aware, the maximum voltage/amperage for USB is 5v/500ma and this thing kicks out -200v.
edit on 21-9-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join