It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News: BLM’s Wild Horse Advisory Board Just Voted To Kill All 44,000 Captive Wild Horses I

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: tetra50
a reply to: redhorse

hey redhorse: I can see by your description of what it takes that you actually have ponied up and done your share, and understand your point, very well. Perhaps you are right in that closing the slaughter houses did more harm than good.
For my part, though, I don't take too well to being blamed for my "sentimentality," or for overbreeding, because as a horse person, I did do my part: I've rescued many horses in the "domesticated" horse world, where people who just don't know any better keep them in deplorable conditions, and even locked stalls. And I've done everything you've described, including and not limited to, risking limbs, freezing and baking weather, and a life that revolved completely and totally around feeding, watering, turnout, working, and cleaning stalls.....as well as staying up all night with one in colic.....

So, not all of us, sentimental about this issue lack understanding or the hours, days, years of the work it takes to be a responsible horse person. Just saying.....

You know what, I wasn't going to respond to you but I changed my mind. IF you advocated the closing of the slaughter houses the way that they did and kept breeding then you caused this and YOU are responsible the unnecessary slaughter of those animals. Your ego was more important than the actual well being of any horse. If this second scenario is actually the case, I hate you. I mean absolutely despise you and I don't care how many horses you have helped, you have hurt far, far more and you don't even have the excuse of ignorance.

If not, great, keep working. I'm not talking about you. I wanted them to close the slaughter houses too, but I wanted them to do it in way that wasn't going to crash the market because I knew it was the animals that would suffer horribly in the end. Oh look. I was right. And I am so angry, I mean so deeply and fundamentally enraged that this was foreseeable and avoidable and nobody listened to the people who saw this coming, and we're left to do what we can and mitigate but mostly just witness this tragedy. And it is absolutely a tragedy.
edit on 10-9-2016 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
This heartbreaking. This is partially what federal land is supposed to be for.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

I understand that people are sentimental about this but the reality is that all of those horse "advocates" caused this mess and not one of you will ever acknowledge that your emotionally based decisions without a firm understanding of the repercussions has caused this mess. This is your fault too.

I think this is a bit more than sentimentality. Horses won wars for us, let people populate the USA. Without them we would be no where. They earned their freedom, they were the slaves whose backs literally carried us to where we no longer needed them, they fought wars when they didn't want to and died along with their riders.

They deserve to be numbers controlled sent into freedom more than any species. There are millions and millions of acres that the selfish use of for human money making could and should be theirs.
edit on 10-9-2016 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Whilst I greatly respect the authors threads this is not murder;murder is a legal descriptor as applied to humans.

Yes it is sad but it should be called "Culling", that is a more accurate scientific term.

One thing one must understand is that if there is no food/water for the animals then it is the humane thing to do.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
While there may be a need to control the Wild Mustang,
it is impossible to justify killing all of them.

When they close vast reserves of land to protect
turtles, then kill them too once they are put into
BLM controlled preserves, it shows a pattern.

Government is inept at creativity, sadly more
and more every year. They are also the biggest
hypocrites, as they can make lawful the unlawful.

This is a despicable "solution" to a government created problem.

edit on 10-9-2016 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
This heartbreaking. This is partially what federal land is supposed to be for.

LOL, I agree on this one.

The federal government owns around 640 million acres of land (about 28 percent).

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
In ancient times this kind of thing was called animal sacrifice. Usually, in ancient times, the sacrifice was made to a deity of choice.

What I have learned is that the world hasn't changed much since ancient times. Sure we have more clustering of people and animals, tech, science etc, but it all really hasn't changed that much. I would like to make a thread on how the world is similar in so many ways to ancient times.

Is it that far of a stretch to speculate that the government is sacrificing animals to an unnamed "deity"? If anyone ever found proof of that it would be an interesting thread for ATS.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

I used the word "murder" intentionally.
It is a far better descriptor than "culling"

Culling a herd does NOT mean slaughtering ALL 44,000 captive wild horses.
The vastness of that number boggles my mind.

1.1Reduce the population of (a wild animal) by selective slaughter....

1.2 Send (an inferior or surplus animal on a farm) to be slaughtered.

www.oxforddictionaries.com...

It looks like they are killing roughly 80% of the estimated wild horses in the WEST....I mean WTF!!!!
www.blm.gov...

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
BLM estimates about 27,000 horses as an acceptable population for managing.

BLM estimates the current free horse population at over 67,000.

BLM has 40,000 horses that aren't free.

BLM had to stop their fertility management program.

So...what's the viable solution here folks? Dump the 40,000 horses back into the wild and have a wild population over four times what the land can viably sustain? Keep the 40,000 horses in captivity, to an estimated cost of $1 billion over the herd's estimated life span? It sucks that the advisory board voted to do it, but when options are continually taken away with no new VIABLE solutions to replace them, at some point one runs out of options.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Such sad and frustrating news, the little faith in humanity I had left may have just vanished. Thank you for getting this out there it is very important news and people need to speak up.

I think there is more to the story as to why the media isn't majorly reporting this, probably "unofficial" censorship to avoid the outrage that would come of this if it were on everyone's TV screen instead of Trump and Hillary.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I completely Agree with you. Nobody is adopting these invasive species. What options are left to protect the ecosystem?

(post by WeAreAWAKE removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
How about we allow these American-born horses to stay and get rid of 44,000 illegals? I'm sure the horses would cost less, do more work and not become criminals.
edit on 9/10/2016 by WeAreAWAKE because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

I just read that as Black lives matters!
I was thing dam I know they are crazy but killing horses? How are they racist!

they are only killing the black horses.

seriously though was there any effort put into adoption?

edit on 50930America/ChicagoSat, 10 Sep 2016 13:50:40 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Yes but nobody is adopting them.

The August Internet Adoption Ends on September 13

The August Internet Adoption will start on August 30 and end on September 13. Applications are open August 29 - September 12. You will not be able to submit your application, until that time. New gallery photos will be posted during the week of August 15. Bidding is August 30 - September 13. ** Applications will close at 11am Mountain time, Monday, September 12.**

Animals in the gallery will be from Northern Nevada Correctional Center; Ridgecrest, CA; Canon City, CO; Fallon, NV and Palomino Valley, NV. Burns, OR horses have been added.

Optional Eastern pick ups are Ewing, IL (by appt); Waterloo, IA (October 21); and Unadilla, GA (November 4).

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

The term "Captive Wild Horses" sounds like an oxymoron.

How can this be allowed to happen? Tens of thousands of will horses to be slaughtered...who speaks for them.

Where is PETA and the other animal advocate agencies who are often against the inhumane pig and cattle slaughterhouses? Where are their voices concerning this issue? I'm asking out of genuine curiosity.

I agree, the killing of 44 000 horses by 'the Bureau of Land Management' is a senseless thing to do.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Involutionist

The term "Captive Wild Horses" sounds like an oxymoron.

How can this be allowed to happen? Tens of thousands of will horses to be slaughtered...who speaks for them.

Where is PETA and the other animal advocate agencies who are often against the inhumane pig and cattle slaughterhouses? Where are their voices concerning this issue? I'm asking out of genuine curiosity.

I agree, the killing of 44 000 horses by 'the Bureau of Land Management' is a senseless thing to do.

You're not going to hear too much from them, maybe a little but this is exactly what these people wanted. When PETA and the Humane Society started all of the noise for the legislation that shut down the slaughter houses they knew this would be the end result. You will hear from them because they have to put in a token effort, and they may use it to stir up outrage about people owning horses at all, but that's about it. The movers and shakers in these organizations are militant animal rights activists. They don't believe that any human should "exploit" any animal; this is the unspoken manipulation behind the entire narrative. They are perfectly willing to kill domesticated animals to achieve this end because they see them as some sort of human influenced abominations. At this point many of those "wild" mustangs are domesticated horses cut loose when their owners couldn't feed them or the close descendants there-of. They are even more a feral animal than ever they were before. What's left of those Spanish and throw back Sorraia genetics are even more watered down, so the idea that these horses were a heritage breed (which is part of what was used to justify their continued existence and management) is almost out the window and possibly unsalvageable.

They don't care about these mustangs and they sure don't care about the other hundreds of thousands of domestic horses that have starved and died that never made it to a wild horse herd because of this mess.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Wonder if they even tried to come up with an implant for birth control like they have for humans? That would be so plausible and easy to accomplish.

That just makes me sick...like the numbers of shelter animals...no, actually once in the city where I live I heard a report that gave the total of shelter animals destroyed in the TONS per year. Can you even begin to imagine that?

Our hearts are in the right place, but the brain has yet to catch on. But then, as we all know at the end of the day EVERYTHING boils down to the all mighty Greenback...so sickening.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Did you know it is illegal to eat or possess beef - cow meat, in 27 Indian states? They view the cow as sacred. While horse meat is consumed by some, most people won't eat horses but not due to spiritual reasons, but because they consider them to be pets.

People want pet status. Then charge owners up the ass in feed, vet bills and boarding. Then people can't afford to keep them as pets because the cost is so high so then people want them to run free & wild where the irony there is no one takes care of them, feeds them or boards them because they run free. The exact opposite of the pressured claim a pet owner needs this with the horse and must have that with the horse and pay, pay, pay, dollar, credit, check, even take out a loan. Payyyyyyyyyy up. The logic that if people can't get other people to pay out their ass to keep a few horses as pets, then NO ONE gets the horse, let it run free, IS INSAINE.

Face it. Most horse lovers are bat #e crazy. If you've ever worked or spent time at a stable and see the thousands of dollars people spend on their pet horse/s and all the coddeling and showing off and daaahramah that is found in & around a horse barn with clientele from the middle class on up, you will have found one of the missing puzzle pieces as to why our country is going down the tubes. It's the attitude.

Stomachs have been known to turn watching plump people, squeeze into some ridiculous outfit and sit their fat asses on their poor pet horse & work their beloved pet horse for their own pleasure & entertainment, called a sport, trotting and cantering it in a huge circle while the horse grunts, farts and emits a foamy sweat in their crevices because of the weight of their owner. Are they using the horse to pull a plow anymore, a necessity to human survival? Rarely anymore. Are they using a horse to travel anymore? A necessity to human survival. Extremely rare now days. Are they using a horse for horse beef anymore? Known to be low in fat and high in protein & sweet. Hardly anymore. Thinking of eating a horse turns too many stomachs. They would rather see them bear the weight of some chubby or fat full sized adult, flesh jiggling around, while the horse works themselves for pure entertainment only. Saaafriggindistic.

Every person who works a horse at a professional sporting event or in their own private time, simply just for the pleasure of bragging about them and dominating another beast by making it do tricks, should be taxed out their asses and that tax money can go to the horses that roam wild and the famlies that can't afford tractors to plough or cars or trucks to travel, who work horses to actually survive. BECAUSE TRACTORS & CARS are too expensive for most people to purchase.

Unbelievable. Wow. Just wow.

edit on 10-9-2016 by WhiteWingedMonolith because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Keep the 40,000 horses in captivity, to an estimated cost of $1 billion over the herd's estimated life span?

With an official +-600 Billion $ military budget, I'd guess your government has your priorities screwed up once again. Same problem, different suffering subjects.

Sorry for the cheap shot but it's true everytime.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join