It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The 1990s: UFOlogy's Golden Age

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ctj83

I have no doubt even some of the better known ufo cases have conventional explanations, but these discussions really do come down to individual cases, so I am curious your thoughts on a few.

Levelland Texas in 57, govt cover up says it was ball lighting. If it was some high tech black project that shut down the engines of the motorist, what was gained by revealing it in the way they did? Do you really think the govt had such tech in 57, if so, they have managed to keep it a secret for quite some time?

Westall in 66, supposed saucer craft lands outside a school campus in broad daylight. Govt apparently had it tracked as they showed up in no time and had a camera with pictures confiscated. There was a serious effort to get the students to forget anything happened. If you believe the students, some who stood right in front of it, the object landed and took off without any observable propulsion.

Colares in 77, ufos terrorize this small community with physical burns. Sightings continue, even with military brought in to observe. The local doctor is asked by the military to tell the locals it is a mass hallucination...Sadly, ive seen coverage of this sighting where this explanation is taken seriously. If it was humans, what was gained? Do you really think human agency would continue once there was military observation in place?

edit on 10-9-2016 by 111DPKING111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueShaman
Let's not forget the 50s. Space, martians, flying saucers etc were hugely popular back then, especially in Hollywood. It almost feels like every other movie back then had a sci-fi space theme.

The '50s were a definite entertaining decade and Hollywood was flying high!

Hundreds of films! Unfortunately, most of them were over-the-hill jokes. "Serious" or thinking films such as 1951's "The Day The Earth Stood Still" were rare but I was thankful for them. And thrillers such as "The Thing" were hand-wringers. When the characters found the ice-covered saucer and they spread out to measure its diameter, wow!

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I have to wonder if it's a generational thing. I know that we all have different priorities based on age or decade of birth. Some of us who grew up in the 1990s prefer the brand of conspiracies we were exposed to when young (heavily influenced by the X-Files, sure). Though, I'm sure the fact that a huge bird that became known as the B-2 showed up on the scene around that time - something most people had never seen before.

At any rate, I certainly miss those days. If not for the conspiracies, for the Hey Arnold and the first Men in Black...

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shugo
Ah, the 1990s...the decade that followed the dreaded Cold War, and highlighted in military by use of "Courier" typeface and typewriters. It was the peak of many conspiracy related things, before people sat behind a computer screen to talk to other conspirators - and actually talked face to face. Likewise you actually had to work to get whatever "proof" you thought was credible. Those days are gone. We're more interested in turning absolutely every possible thing on the face of the earth into a conspiracy. Forget about what is above it.

We had a portable KAYPRO pc in the 1980s but it was used by my wife for contracts, etc. Although she was a futurist we never thought the world would be joined using them. In the 1990s I got WebTV and became active in the nascent UFO forums and JFK assassination forums. I never graduated to conspirator but I sure became aware of them and they helped me keep a clear mind. There was so much "proof" you had a hard time accepting everybody's "truth". And all of those lunar anomalies!

We're more interested in:
The idea of chemtrails.
The idea of a flat earth.
The idea of all national or international tragedies being false flags.
The idea that everyone isn't actually real.
The idea that the government(s) is(are) interested in the fact that I bought the Final Fantasy XV Collectors Edition on Amazon.

I never got into chemtrails because there were never any visible over NYC and I wondered why not, living with over 11 million "neighbors". Why the midwest or thereabouts? How about UFOs being photographed and videotaped in and around chemtrails? How about the people that reported ill health? How about the photos of the inside of the planes with all of those tanks? Chemtrails have to be real as the supportive evidence seems to be more than circumstantial.

Some tragedies have false flag components such as crisis actors and actresses being employed, and a location that is questionable, etc. A few individuals have gone bananas in producing evidence that shows that things are not always what TPTB want you to know.

No longer:
The idea that the president is a reptilian.
The idea that Elvis is a manager at the McDonalds in a suburb of Paducah, KY.
The idea that there was an alien running around in a chefs hat in Roswell, NM.
The idea of all lights in the night sky that aren't stars must be aliens.
The idea of all lights in the night sky that aren't stars or aliens must be classified government aircraft.

...nostalgic.

We don't have a reptilian in the White House but the person that is there has to be worse! A non-American muslim whose past is questionable. Give me cats' eyes any day!
Elvis sings birthday songs to customers who go there to celebrate!
Did that alien chef carry a book titled "TO SERVE MAN"?
I don't know about you but my second "UFO" sighting were 3 stars that went from standing still to hauling away.
At night one can never tell unless the sighting is as clear as my 3 stars. Left no doubt they weren't humans.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 12:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon

Disneyworld: "Alien Encounters From New Tomorrowland"

This one is very interesting..

BTW, has anyone noticed that all of the comments in the threads as well as private messages all bear the same date: 07/03/2016? The date shown for all members is that date and it also says that everyone registered on that date! Take a look on the left.

It doesn't say that on my screen.....?

Thanks for the feedback on the weird dating. Here are 5 photos that I just took.

And last but not least is my private messages which show activity that took place from a few weeks 'til just a couple of days ago. They didn't all happen on 07/03/2016 and you can see that I brought it to 2 mods' attention with no resolve.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: mirageman
Nice piece of nostalgia Klassless.

Yes I think it was a golden age of ufology from a certain perspective. There was suddenly a less reluctant attitude by media companies to debunk cases. So we suddenly saw TV shows like "Sightings" spring up and even "Unsolved Mysteries" presenting UFO cases alongside murder cases and missing persons stories. Then of course the X-Files fired imaginations. It also seemed to be the decade when the public trust in politicians and governments was reaching new lows. So the decade was rife with conspiracy and UFO lore.

However if 1947 is the start of the modern UFO era then I also think 1997 signalled the end of it in some ways. We've probably got more pro-UFO/alien shows on TV than ever before in 2016. But as those lights blinked out over Phoenix in March 1997 it feels like the age of 'classic' ufology also did. The Roswell 50th anniversary carried things on for a while. But as the internet went mainstream and we moved into 21st century things changed a lot.

In 2016 you can examine a lot more information on UFO cases just by using the internet. Back in the 90s obtaining source material was a lot more difficult. We still don't have the full picture of the jigsaw puzzle but we certainly have a lot more pieces to play with.

Anyway sticking to the nostalgia. I always remember this story from the early 1990s?

snip

Sigh! it was almost certainly another hoax.

The 1990s were fueled in the 1980s by books such as "MISSING TIME" by Budd Hopkins and "COMMUNION" by Whitley Strieber. One, Hopkins, put the fear of sleep into the populace who was totally ignorant of the paralysis induced by the mind as a safety preventive in some people to keep them from hurting themselves during active dreaming. Those who awoke during such an episode freaked out. Then along comes Strieber's book with the iconic alien face that gave those who suffered the paralysis a reason for the paralysis: they were being abducted! Sleep paralysis, also known as Old Hag, is a phenomenon that is known, to some extent, by all cultures throughout the world. Some people say attacking aliens are the cause of sleep paralysis,... Of course the problem was that some people would awaken during paralysis and invent the aliens. I had such an episode and while I felt the "Old Hag" on my back, I never thought of aliens or that I was being abducted.

So a lot of the 1990s tv shows and documentaries included the new celebrities who were engaged in alien abduction therapy and the tons of "abductees" and they had their saint patrons, the Hills.

The present alien/UFO shows and documentaries do not have the impact that all of those 1990s shows did. They had wide audiences that wanted more, and they got it. Now, UFOs are still being seen and recorded but no one gets abducted anymore so that drama got lost in the dust as we moved on.

I had mixed feelings about the "GUARDIAN" case 'cause I had never seen a strobe like the one allegedly on top of the landed UFO. I disagreed totally with the pickup explanation as I just couldn't see the shape of a truck. The lady witness was okay but not necessary to the case. The RCMP didn't buy it. The fingerprint on the videotape envelope or box was kind of hooey 'cause I never heard or read who it belonged to. Just this giant-looking craft with a crazy strobe. The night fire wasn't necessary as the "craft" could have provided all of the needed illumination. I lost track of explanations.

edit on 07/03/2016 by klassless because: To correct grammar.

edit on 07/03/2016 by klassless because: To add text.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tulpa
a reply to: mirageman

It was indeed a hoax. The whole story is on the DVD set The UFO files A.K.A. UFOs under investigation.
John Spencer and Bob Oechsler explain the details and it turns out the disc was a Sikorski helicopter which was cleverly concealed and lit.
They don't name the suspect but the guy narrating (forget the name) goes and knocks on a door somewhere only to receive no answer. Apparently someone known to those who did the research but who bottled it when scuppered or ????

Dunno if you'll find it on the gooTube but the episode was called UFOs lies and videotape and mentions some other hoaxes which I can't recall at the moment.
I think the series was Canadian made and ran to thirteen episodes (on disc at least).

Fun and games indeed.

Didn't ya just love the 90s.

I just said in a reply that I had lost track of explanations so it's great to learn something that helps clear the air. The videos are on YouTube and I'll be watching them tomorrow as they are full length, 2 or 3 hours worth. Thanks.

edit on 07/03/2016 by klassless because: To add text.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: klassless

Sent you a message regarding that. I think it's actually rather something simple.

Don't think it's aliens this time.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 01:54 AM
link   

a reply to: mirageman
(snip)
Some of the old conspiracy theories were enough to make your skin crawl. I mean, they were not only believable, but they were also just downright scary. The ones I hear of post 9/11 however, a lot of them seem like a bunch of paranoid mumble jumble.

"Sounds like a lot of supernatural baloney to me".
"Supernatural, perhaps. Baloney perhaps not".

The above was said by actor Bela Lugosi in the film "THE BLACK CAT".

While 9/11 may sound like a bunch of paranoid mumble jumble, some of the facts do point to conspiracies. As one who was personally affected I have to consider factual evidence such as Building 7 being purposely brought down by its crooked owner and some strange TV images surrounding such. Building 7's collapse was not mentioned in the 9/11 Commission Report.

Also, no plane hit the Pentagon.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Tons of "witnesses" to the Phoenix flares and that they swore they were not flares. A short daylight documentary was made from the same location as the popular nighttime video that's always shown and the flares are seen disappearing one at a time over different mountain peaks.

Is that your full understanding of the Phoenix lights sighting? Perhaps that explains your level of disbelief - because you have not actually studied any of the most important cases in-depth. Yes, there were flares over Phoenix - but that only made the case stronger, not weaker, ironically enough.

There were very important cases well before the 1990s. I suppose you have a rock-solid explanation for sightings like Tehran in 1972 as well?

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
To each their own on that I suppose, OP. But I deal in historical facts, not modern what ifs and theory. It's part of the reason I'm so quiet on ATS - it's a lot of what ifs and theory. Normally that isn't a problem, but a lot of people have a hard time of actually doing viable research or even knowing how to spot fakademic sources. It's easy to have a website today. It's easy to get a book published today. Many here seem to think that because items are in print, that suddenly translates to them being factual and true.

At least with the UFO crowd there's vested research. I can't say the same for much of the other conspiracies that are floating around out there.
edit on 11.9.2016 by Shugo because: Vocab

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

I suppose you have a rock-solid explanation for sightings like Tehran in 1972 as well?

Cough!!!

The Tehran sighting was 1976 and believe it or not there is a non-UFO explanation for it all

The Tehran 1976 UFO

However I will leave it to everyone to make their own minds up on that one.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Glad its on there somewhere. I'd never heard of that series before I came across the DVD set.
I may have got some details wrong as I've not watched it for a while but you'll see for yourself.

It was a good series with many well known contributers all looking rather young, I might add.

Yeah the fire was a bit silly really. As if a flying saucer needs guiding in for landing...giggle giggle.
edit on 11-9-2016 by Tulpa because: Changed a word cos it got some weird self censoring thingy. Don't worry
It wasn't offensive.
edit on 11-9-2016 by Tulpa because: Don't rightly know m'lud

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: mirageman

I suppose you have a rock-solid explanation for sightings like Tehran in 1972 as well?

Cough!!!

The Tehran sighting was 1976 and believe it or not there is a non-UFO explanation for it all

The Tehran 1976 UFO

However I will leave it to everyone to make their own minds up on that one.

Yea.. sorry, off by a few years. : )

But the previously proposed debunking was that these pilots were chasing Jupiter, in conjunction with seeing a meteor shower to account for another part of the sighting, in addition to both jets having equipment failures as they approached the object. Not buying that explanation, it's ludicrous.

It was seen and reported by civilians, and the military almost blew it off until a senior military officer went outside and looked, and decided it was not normal, and scrambled jets. It was detected by the jets radar, and the first and the 2nd jet both experienced equipment failure as they approached. They also saw the object performing maneuvers and attaining amazing speeds.

It's also hilarious to me the lengths to which humans will go to try and NOT believe something is true. Apparently it makes more sense to blame planetary bodies, a meteor shower, faulty civilian and military eyewitness accounts, dual-failing equipment and false radar returns, than admit something amazing and unexplainable occurred. The article you refer to on Skeptoid is basically the above - people didn't know what they were looking at, pilots were chasing a planet, massive equipment failures AND malfunctions (the "misreading" radar returns).. they say it so casually as if it's not difficult to believe at all that this all could occur. I think it's a laughably ridiculous response to the sighing. They completely disregard the pilots eyewitness testimony as well, which you know.. is kind of a critical bit of evidence to simply ignore.
edit on 11-9-2016 by fleabit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   

That's a great collection!

If you haven't done it yet I suggest you get them converted to digital before VHS players disappear completely, technological obsolescence sucks.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   

it's also hilarious to me the lengths to which humans will go to try and NOT believe something is true. Apparently it makes more sense to blame planetary bodies, a meteor shower, faulty civilian and military eyewitness accounts, dual-failing equipment and false radar returns, than admit something amazing and unexplainable occurred.

it seems to be human nature in general, we are going to possibly elect one of the more corrupt people in politics and we continue to let our govt spend out of control. Things we can actually see, but on the whole, choose to ignore. We really dont think Greece can happen to us, that is until it actually happens.

Just not enough people who take the alien subject seriously, most will never believe until its undeniable.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Sent you a message regarding that. I think it's actually rather something simple.

Don't think it's aliens this time.

It's gotta be aliens! The "Hair Guy" says so! Anyways, it's now fixed thanks to you.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: fleabit

Tons of "witnesses" to the Phoenix flares and that they swore they were not flares. A short daylight documentary was made from the same location as the popular nighttime video that's always shown and the flares are seen disappearing one at a time over different mountain peaks.

Is that your full understanding of the Phoenix lights sighting? Perhaps that explains your level of disbelief - because you have not actually studied any of the most important cases in-depth. Yes, there were flares over Phoenix - but that only made the case stronger, not weaker, ironically enough.

There were very important cases well before the 1990s. I suppose you have a rock-solid explanation for sightings like Tehran in 1972 as well?

What's your beef in not accepting solid research that resulted in debunking a major myth? I didn't do it, I have it on videotape. I've also seen the video of the alleged triangular "UFO" and it looks as bad a formation as the Hudson Valley videos, a bunch of aircraft imitating poorly a UFO. The Phoenix "triangle" looks more like a slightly loose jet formation. And last but not least, on one of the videos you can see the flashing navigation lights of one of the fighters that dropped the flares. NOT an important case, just a huge misunderstanding and non-acceptance of reality.

I don't explain anything unless I see that something needs clarification and I can add clarity. Tehran? Just another UFO case that nothing more can be written about it.

However, if you have information on something that is still a mystery and it's more than a hill of beans, bring it on, start a thread! But always do a search here first, it could save you a lot of trouble.

What "important" cases are there and can you name them so we can discuss them? I'll bet they have all been discussed here ad infinitum as are almost all cases.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   

To each their own on that I suppose, OP. But I deal in historical facts, not modern what ifs and theory. It's part of the reason I'm so quiet on ATS - it's a lot of what ifs and theory. Normally that isn't a problem, but a lot of people have a hard time of actually doing viable research or even knowing how to spot fakademic sources. It's easy to have a website today. It's easy to get a book published today. Many here seem to think that because items are in print, that suddenly translates to them being factual and true.

At least with the UFO crowd there's vested research. I can't say the same for much of the other conspiracies that are floating around out there.

As I say to others, if you want to let us know what you think about and how you come to your thoughts, it might make for some interesting dialogue if you were to start a thread. Historical facts? Nothing else will do! As long as the historical sources are solid. In UFOlogy theorizing is the norm as no one really knows more than what they learn even if they see a definite UFO. You're left wondering.

UFO research? Actually, that's gotta be a laugh 'cause it's been going on since the late '40s and nothing world-shaking has ever been revealed. Research consists of mostly gathering data and a lot of trees were felled to produce paper which rots away in file cabinets. I know, I was once a UFO investigator, possibly lasting the shortest time when I came to the realization that I was contributing to the contents of those file cabinets.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tulpa

Glad its on there somewhere. I'd never heard of that series before I came across the DVD set.
I may have got some details wrong as I've not watched it for a while but you'll see for yourself.

It was a good series with many well known contributers all looking rather young, I might add.

Yeah the fire was a bit silly really. As if a flying saucer needs guiding in for landing...giggle giggle. It wasn't offensive.

Earlier today I devoted 2+ hours to see the docs consecutively. I fast-forwarded the first show as it was mostly talking heads and I wasn't crazy about the total production, a bit annoying.

With the second doc I f-f to the GUARDIAN segment and it's not as good as the longer segment (visuially) I might have in one of my videos. The Sikorsky 'copter explanation may be the correct one but I don't see it in the video. I would have preferred if the principals had gone to the trouble of showing a comparison between the video object and a night footage of the Sikorsky to see that strobe on the 'copter, at least.

The Alien Files: UFOs Under Investigation: Episode 1 (Full Length) - 1:05:16
www.youtube.com...

Episode 2 (Full Length) - 1:11:27
www.youtube.com...

edit on 11-9-2016 by klassless because: To correct grammar.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join