It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Are you your own person?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Have you ever asked yourself are you your own person, how many of your morals, beliefs are naturally yours and how many are false trained beliefs.

You see it started early as a baby you looked at your mothers face and when she smiled at you you knew you did something right and when she frowned at you you knew you did something that displeased her. Your natural desire was to seek your mothers love so you avoided what made her frown.

When you started school again your desire was to be liked by the other kids and you avoided what would make you unpopular and accepted whatever thoughts and practices would make you popular. If you think back you will remember there were circumstances where your inner thoughts and beliefs told you not to do something, that something was wrong but you did it anyway because your desire was to be accepted by your fellow school mates. At first it may have been hard to ignore that inner voice but in time it became easier and maybe in time you could no longer hear that inner voice.

Now that you are an adult who is now smiling and frowning at you, who is now telling you what is right and wrong? Well it is the media of coarse they are here to tell you what is right and wrong. Have you ever sat down and done a total revaluation of your beliefs, how many of your beliefs do you think are actually yours and how many have been programmed by the media?

Next question would be naturally who ownes the media? Do they do as they preach? Is their battle for your mind altruistic, benevolent or is their intention actually malevolent. Do they seek your betterment or do they actually seek your destruction. Are they there to smile at beliefs/practices that are wrong and frown at things that are actually right? Are they here to tell you black is white, up is down and left is right. When you look at that television really think about who is actually behind it and why they want you to think a certain way, uncover them and lay their identity bare.
edit on 9-9-2016 by zinc12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: zinc12

In society, if dont understand right from wrong.. Then i recommend being told what is right and wrong..

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

The only issue with that is that law starts to pinch hit for morality.

Then I am left having people argue that criminality is makes a person undesirable. Despite the fact that quite often "criminal" is anything but "immoral". A couple of examples would be illegal immigration (where the argument that "they are here through a criminal act" justifies various/sundry feelings...at least on the surface) and marijuana (Bill Murray once quipped, "The most dangerous thing about marijuana is the police").

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Well i can break it down to intention, first time America as a nation was introduced to this concept was about two months ago..

All humans are "sinners" until proven not guilty.. Problem with the American legal system is that its based on moral imagination we are all good instead of cultural laws, in the nordic its based on intention and our cultural laws as a guiding point..

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   

It's nice to please people. However, in general, I have always been ME, even when it might have displeased people. My mother, if she was alive today would certainly attest to that. Yes, I am my own person.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 03:21 AM
link   

I am my own person.

I have never been a people pleaser. I have always questioned my surroundings, always valued what I could learn, over what I could achieve, always valued foundations of thought, over bringing joy to others. It has been my very great fortune to find, entirely by happy accident, that my thirst for and application of knowledge, just so happens to bring joy to people.

That was not always the case, especially when I was a child. In fact, my schooling did all it could to provoke me into ignorance, as a defence mechanism. But trying to kill a mind like mine, requires greater reserves of intellect than have ever been ranged against me. I am who I am despite what has transpired, not because of it. I am an armoured beast of a mind, living in an armoured beast of a man, and I have no doubt that I am my own before I am anything else.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Secular ethics is the only thing keeping the world from being destroyed by people that believe things...

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 04:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: zinc12
Have you ever asked yourself are you your own person, how many of your morals, beliefs are naturally yours and how many are false trained beliefs.

The are ALL mine!

Come to and developed by life situations ... If anything changes it is because

I want that change.

You see it started early as a baby you looked at your mothers face and when she smiled at you you knew you did something right and when she frowned at you you knew you did something that displeased her. Your natural desire was to seek your mothers love so you avoided what made her frown.

You learn very quickly a mothers love surpasses most and in many cases ALL

sins and bad behavior!

When you started school again your desire was to be liked by the other kids and you avoided what would make you unpopular and accepted whatever thoughts and practices would make you popular. If you think back you will remember there were circumstances where your inner thoughts and beliefs told you not to do something, that something was wrong but you did it anyway because your desire was to be accepted by your fellow school mates. At first it may have been hard to ignore that inner voice but in time it became easier and maybe in time you could no longer hear that inner voice.

Never had a desire to please others .... quickly learned as you cant please

all of the people all of the time, so just please yourself, but do right.

Now that you are an adult who is now smiling and frowning at you, who is now telling you what is right and wrong? Well it is the media of coarse they are here to tell you what is right and wrong.

No one, least of all the media tell ME what is right or wrong. I have a mind

of my own and many, many years of experience, I have the scars to prove it

Have you ever sat down and done a total revaluation of your beliefs,

All the time ..... its an on going project.

how many of your beliefs do you think are actually yours and how many have been programmed by the media?

All my beliefs have been honed by ME.

None by the media or anyone else.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Anyone who denies that at least some of the beliefs they maintain have been moulded into them is either lying or oblivious to human nature.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 05:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost
Anyone who denies that at least some of the beliefs they maintain have been moulded into them is either lying or oblivious to human nature.

I don't believe that any one denies that, However there is no need to ditch

everything one learns there is always an element of truth which one

clings to after much thought and mature conclusion arrives at what is right

for them ..... making them *their OWN person*

When I think about it I can't beleive how different I am and my views from the

way I was brought up

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang

In society, if dont understand right from wrong.. Then i recommend being told what is right and wrong..

I am here to tell you what is wrong is right and what is right is wrong though. I am your self appointed Shepard but I don't guide the flock to greener pastures, I instead intend to lead you to the edge of a high cliff.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
That is good because only those who are their own persons will survive, it is maybe a method of culling the weak and those who easily succumb to suggestion.

I find in general modern media to be toxic. I see clearly t is not designed to inform people, to raise them up but instead to trivialise them, create shallow people who find virtue in low morals.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Wonder how many of those who kill in the name of religion would agree with you?

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

When I think about it I can't beleive how different I am and my views from the

way I was brought up

If you find you are very different in thought from the mind of the masses then you know your on the right track, if you flow seamlessly with the popular herd mind of the masses then your screwed.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Good question OP.
Thankfully I was brought up by parents who liked to search their own truths and always kind of went a different way to what the mainstream was.
Be it in spirituality, politics, current events, etc....

Having said that, I don't deny that of course, I let socially acceptable mainstream stuff mold me in my younger days, like most kids, I wanted to fit in with my peers. And probably still does, I do use the Internet every day after all.

But am now, everyday, learning to question everything, especially my deep rooted beliefs and fears.
Regarding mainstream media and so-called 'official stories' presented by the news, I stopped believing a long time ago. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's what is keeping society in a state of constant conflict, fear, and numbness.

who ownes the media? Do they do as they preach? Is their battle for your mind altruistic, benevolent or is their intention actually malevolent. Do they seek your betterment or do they actually seek your destruction. Are they there to smile at beliefs/practices that are wrong and frown at things that are actually right? Are they here to tell you black is white, up is down and left is right. When you look at that television really think about who is actually behind it and why they want you to think a certain way, uncover them and lay their identity bare.

No, definitely not altruistic. I mean, there are good reporters, journalists and other people fighting for love and unbiased truth out there, but they are generally disregarded by most people and buried underneath sensationalism.
I honestly don't know what to believe anymore, are there some 'evil' people behind the curtains that have some sort of master plan? The Illuminati? Alien overlords? I can't say, but I do believe there are interests and profits, follow the money, someone at some point has something to gain from keeping the public in fear and hating each other.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Self appointed King without any cultural understanding... Wait let me post a pic

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 03:51 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

That's not what I meant.

I'm not saying that you need to ditch everything you learn through others. I am saying that many of the beliefs you maintain are instilled into you by other people and — hence — you are not technically your own person.

It does not matter whether your belief system was highly influenced by a Nobel Prize winning scientist or a reverend, the point is that nobody has a crystal clear slate from which to learn and develop their own belief system.

edit on 11/9/2016 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Don't maintain make believe as reality and reality actually happens...

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain

Words to live by indeed.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Essentially, self=other.

We are all various combinations of experiences with each other. Its why i am against the idea of "intellectual property"....no one discovers anything in a vacuum. We are just a collection of experiences with each other.

ETA: it was this realization that guided me to try my hardest to be a positive experience in peoples lives, rather than negative. If i have a part to play in the human experience on Earth, I want it to be positive. A benefit.
edit on 9/13/2016 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join