It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New RX 480 !

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   
So my new graphics card came in today. Really looking forward to getting home and installing this beast. It's replacing a 960 so I should see some decent framerate upgrades. I'll be crossfiring them after the holidays too!

Can anyone recommend any decent games to try out? Maybe, if there are any, DX12 or Vulkan games?

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I'm jealous. I'm still rocking my 4 year old 2GB HD 7850. It's still getting the job done, however. I get 60FPS at 1080p in most games I play, save a few. I can't tell you how bad I'm itching for an upgrade though.

Congrats on your new card! Sorry but I don't know of any DX12 or Vulkan games. I think it's still too early for many titles to use the newer APIs yet. =/

When I played the BF1 beta, I set it to DX12. I didn't really enjoy BF1 that much though.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Aldakoopa

I had built my setup over the past few months in anticipation for the new cards. Thanks man.

I've been searching and have come to the same conclusion, there's not much, if any at the moment.

Not a big FPS player but I think the beta is free so maybe I'll give it a go (BF1).

The price and specs of the 480 is really good even if it's lagging way behind Nvidia. I suspect that it will close that gap over the next year or so with DX12 etc. It happened with the 390 so time will tell.

Thanks for the feedback.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Sorry to say but the open beta for BF1 ended yesterday. Or two days ago depending on your time zone. lol

I've always been an AMD fan. Not a 'fanboy', but a fan. They can be a diamond in the rough sometimes, and I got excited when my card supported DX12 even though it was developed before DX12 was really a thing, and DX12 benchmarks were performing better on AMD than Nvidia.

The 480 does look like a lot of bang-for-your-buck when it comes to a GPU though. I think AMD hit the nail on the head in terms of price/performance and it has been selling like crazy. Hopefully it keeps them going for a few more years.
edit on 10-9-2016 by Aldakoopa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   

I think it will. AMD has been the underdog for quite awhile so you could say I've been a fan as well. I'm a huge fan of bang for your buck and taking things right to the limit of diminished returns. I think I'll be ok with this card even more so when I add a 2nd. MAYBE multi GPU scaling will have a better effect in the future.

I would hate to see a Nvidia dominated market. It would tank PC gaming by sheer price alone.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   

AMD's return to being somewhat competitive in the graphics department has definitely lowered Nvidia's prices lately. I really hope Zen is something to bring their CPU performance back up-to-par. I bought a Bulldozer back when they hyped that up in 2011 and it was brand new. It did ok. I overclocked the snot out of it and had fun while it lasted, but then I got an i5 a couple years ago and was blown away by how much better it performs. So, I'm really hoping I can buy an AMD CPU again and not feel like I'm taking a step backwards.
edit on 10-9-2016 by Aldakoopa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 12:44 AM
link   

I can relate. I came from a Phenom II x4 3.4 BE. I must have lost the lottery because I could never get that thing above 3.8 on liquid. Enter the the i5 6600k. It's stock clock is 3.6, I'm running at 4.1 without any issues and cool as a cucumber. That's plenty for me.

AMD has intel beat on cores. If I was building anything but a gaming machine I would surely go AMD for a processor.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 01:02 AM
link   

I've got an i5-4670k at 4.2GHz, running on a Hyper 212+ that's keeping it plenty cool. I could push it higher. I got it up to 4.6 I think but I was drunk and instead of typing "1.175" volts I typed in "1.75", and that's a big difference when it comes to a CPU. The thing was running 100C instantly as soon as I booted up, I quickly shut it down, reduced the voltage and overclock back down to 4.2, and I've scared myself from pushing it anymore. I was lucky it didn't fry. lol

I built my girlfriend a rig with the 6600k, but I haven't tried overclocking it. She doesn't really need the overclock though.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Very nice! Drunk OC'ing, man you could make your own YT channel off of that
. I never even ran my i5 at the stock so I've no idea what I've gained from the OC. I should try sometime.

Here's a link to my build if interested. Still want the other card and then a monitor upgrade!

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Very nice! That M.2 Samsung Pro has me drooling. XD

That's another thing I bought about 4 years ago and haven't upgraded. I got a Samsung 830 SSD back when they were one of the best SSD's on the market. I bought another used one a couple years ago, just because it was cheap and I liked it so much. I put that one in my girlfriend's computer when I built it.

I don't have any documentation of my builds since my very first one. My latest builds are Frankensteins of various review parts that I get, combined with things I have to buy to be able to review them.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 01:14 AM
link   

I spoiled myself. I'm a CNC machinist and all the swapping around of files at a snails pace at work make me want one of those bad boys for here. At home, that thing is lighting. By far my favorite piece of hardware. I contemplated going with the 840? EVO instead because of the price difference but when thinking of the size of the drawings I have to move I was easily swayed.

That site is fun for putting together builds and keeping tabs on prices. Sure beats the old newegg wish list way!

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 02:29 AM
link   
My rig has a 6400 I7 running stock at 3.4 with a 3.8 intel turbo boost. I run gtx750 TI with no problems at 720-1080. I only have 12 gigs of ram but I havmt capped it yet so I think i am fine. I would like to upgrade my graphics card but am am not lookimg ro spen a grand to do so. Any recomwndations would be helpfull. As of right now I can still play gta5 and fallout 4 on high settings with no problems. So I wonder if I even need to upgrade.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

The new tech from Nvidia and AMD just came out in July so you could be primed to grab yourself a new card. I try to get a new card every other generation but YMMV.

AMD's best card at the moment is the RX 480 (the one I just got). The benchmarks have it less impressive than the 1060 from Nvidia at the same pricepoint ($200-299 USD). So if your looking to spend low for the new tech you have options.

Also you could pick yourself up a 390 (AMD) or a 970 (Nvidia) for even less if you shop around.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Thank you very much for that info. Im not too savy in this asoect so any and all info works. I think I will prob go amd on this one even though I always hear my friends talk nvidea.a reply to: JinMI

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Can anyone recommend any decent games to try out?

Doom , it's gorgeous and your RX 480 will make it look at its best.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

IMHO it's the best bang for the buck at the moment and a solid futureproof (if there is such a thing) card.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

O EM GEE!! How did I miss a new Doom game!!

That will do perfectly!!

Wheres that button to give you all my stars?

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

That site is fun for putting together builds and keeping tabs on prices. Sure beats the old newegg wish list way!

I've never used it before. I just use an add-on for my browser called Hover Hound (it used to be called something else but I can't remember what) that works on Newegg and compares prices for you to what Amazon is offering. Well, and NCIX if you're Canadian, but I'm not. I don't usually deal with anywhere else. I just buy from the cheaper of those too. If they're the same price, I go Newegg. They're the ones sending me review items after all. >_>

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Very cool!

If you havn't yet, check out pcpartpicker.com. It also shows the last time items were on sale etc. To each their own but it's worth looking at.

I downloaded the Doom demo, wow. What a beautiful, awesome experience. Looking forward to a freesync monitor now!

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   

hi , was scrolling through and stumbled upon this thread. ive only had my new gaming pc for a couple of months now but have to agree that the R9 390 is a brilliant card, and like me if you shop around you can pick up a bargain.

so far the card has had no issues with anything i have( dared ) to throw at it *touches wood*... im running 16g and a i7-6700K (at 4.0 stock- i'm to chicken to Oc it just now) and all seem to work in balance with great performance which is a relief, really happy with the R9 390 , it was either that card or the RX 480 which got my attention also , which is a brilliant card

top topics

<<   2 >>

join