It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandela Effect explained

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   

THINK YOU YOU CAN'T BE FOOLED

Now this won't work on everyone but many will not notice the extra you written in there.
The reason this occurs is because the brain often edits out pointless information automatically before we realise.

Basically if you brain comes into contact with something it doesn't like it's quite happy to ignore the problem or work around it.

hte amse trso fo hgint phanpes hwen uyo ujblme pu orwds

How can this be applied to the Mandela Effect?

Well firstly if you read "you" only once at the start does that make you a bad reader? Of course not, your literary skills have nothing to do with it.
Similarly, experiencing an ME does not mean you have a bad memory.

It just means that there was some part of the situation that didn't sit right so you changed it. So let's look at a couple of examples and see if we can find the part that is confusing and why many people experience the same effect.

1) Berenstain Bears. I can't think of a word off the top of my head that ends in stain. I can think of many that end in stein however.
I think this is a case of auto correction for a spelling error that wasn't wrong.

2) No, I am your father. What is he saying no to? Who is he talking to? It's a snippet of a conversation that needs context for the quote to make sense. Another case of auto correction, in this case to make the quote easily digestable we add the context. No turns into Luke and our brains are happy.

In ME's I have experienced the only consistent thing is that what I remembered was simpler to understand than what was actually there.

When you experience something you create a neuron pathway, this is thought to explain why smells bring back memories. If you mow the lawn you link the pathways of "the smell of cut grass" with "yardwork" so the next time you smell cut grass you are reminded of yardwork also.

Going back to Berenstain, it's plausible that the pathway for ...stein is similar to ...stain. However there are more for ...stein because we experience it so much more. Your brain is basically thinking there is 100 instances of ...stein and only 1 ...stain and selects the most likely.

Auto correction can't account for all the ME's as all ME's aren't the same however it's a good start.

How we think is amazing and people claiming the ME is just bad memory are missing the point entirely.
It's a result of our really good memory and how it functions.

The Mandela Effect is real, however the real explanation for it is so much more interesting.
We can look into the very nature of how we think, or we can make up stuff.

edit on 9-9-2016 by Krahzeef_Ukhar because: editing is fun

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   
i could have explained it 2 words... but T&C violations prevents it.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Then there is this

Link

Recent advances in imaging have revealed that false memories can be held by the very same cells that hold accurate ones, but we don't have much information about how false memories get there in the first place. A recent study published in PNAS provides some insight into this issue, finding that false memories may arise from similarities among the items being remembered.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar
however the real explanation for it is so much more interesting.

The easier, swept-under-the-rug answer is never more interesting.

or we can make up stuff.

You yourself admitted your 'auto-correct' hypothesis doesn't explain every instance of ME. So..back to the drawing board for you? Or are you already patting yourself on the back?

Auto correction can't account for all the ME's

edit on 9-9-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Oh, so false memories are stored just as 'real' ones eh? Perhaps some carryover from the timeslip?

Just because you don't know where it came from doesn't make it false.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha
Already patting myself on the back, however I'm willing to put that on hold if you can be more specific.

I'm not going to list every ME, however if you find an example of an ME where the remembered version is more complicated and harder to remember than the "real" version I'd be happy to look into it.

edit on 9-9-2016 by Krahzeef_Ukhar because: editing is fun

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I can explain it in two simple letters.

BS

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Doesn't means it is true either...

Interesting that none of the time line changers know other events that are different because the first one is different. There is no chain of effect following the cause.
edit on 9/9/2016 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   
So you're saying our brains auto-correct certain words?

What about images, like the missing braces from 007's Moonraker? What explanation do you have for that?
edit on 9-9-2016 by BlueShaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueShaman

We all just auto-corrected C3PO's silver leg too. It's really tough recognizing two colors on a robot's chassis.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

That's cool, I don't understand why people looking into ME's don't get more interested by this kind of thing.

Science Fiction is limited to what people can make up, reality is so much grander.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

I love how you make the association, an auto-corrected assumption if you will, that anybody who believes in the Mandela Effect inherently has a lack of education or appreciation for neuroscience.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
OP, I think that is the most lucid explanation for this I have yet read. Good job. There is no need to "explain" anything to the people who believe they have changed dimensions. They're just nuts. Let 'em go and remember them next time they make some sort of pronouncement about reality. They cannot be trusted to even understand.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueShaman
What about images, like the missing braces from 007's Moonraker? What explanation do you have for that?

That's one of the few I haven't experienced but I did look into it, my theory on this is that we don't understand why this girl was nice to Jaws. He's a bad guy yet she shows him compassion.

It's easier to make up braces for them to connect over their dental requirements than it is to question her motives.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
We all just auto-corrected C3PO's silver leg too. It's really tough recognizing two colors on a robot's chassis.

You know what's easier than 2 colours?

That one spun me out too, in fact most of them did.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   

You do realise I believe in the Mandela Effect.
I'm not saying it isn't real I'm just looking for a rational explanation.
And for someone with my lack of education and lack of a true appreciation for neuroscience it's very difficult to find rational explanations.

I'm happy to be insulted but I would prefer to be proven wrong.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   
It might be along the lines of a hash collision, human memory version.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   

You do realise I believe in the Mandela Effect.

The belief part is that it is not due to faulty memory or the misfiring of neurons.

I'm happy to be insulted but I would prefer to be proven wrong.

The only member who brought insults into the thread was the beloved schuyler

originally posted by: schuyler
They're just nuts...They cannot be trusted to even understand.

edit on 9-9-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Already patting myself on the back, however I'm willing to put that on hold if you can be more specific.

I'm not going to list every ME, however if you find an example of an ME where the remembered version is more complicated and harder to remember than the "real" version I'd be happy to look into it.

You are correct, of course. This whole ME thing consists of hundreds of different claims. The unfortunate reality for ME proponents, however, is that every single claim can be explained without jumping timelines or other supernatural events.

There isn't a single instance of ME where all possible present-reality explanations have been ruled out. Or if there is, I haven't seen it.
edit on 9-9-2016 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   
i thought a recent thread about a french person not understanding the 'mandela effect' pinpointed the the problem.
speaking your native language, you dont need to pay much attention, your brain will fill the gaps, rightly or wrongly.
but as a second language, youre likely to pay attention to the actual words.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join