It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress passes bill letting 9/11 victims sue Saudi Arabia, in face of veto threat

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   

The US House of Representatives has passed a bill allowing Americans to sue Saudi Arabia over 9/11, days before the attack’s 15th anniversary. The measure passed without objection or opposition, but the White House is threatening a veto.

Saudi Arabia has tried to block the bill, using the services of its many lobbyists in Washington. Among them is the Podesta Group, co-founded by current Hillary Clinton campaign manager John Podesta and run by his brother Tony.

Congress passes bill letting 9/11 victims sue Saudi Arabia, in face of veto threat

RT
FOX
CSPAN Twitter

Alright, wonderful. Finally our representatives have passed some rational legislation that can bring accountability to the true culprits of the 9/11 terrorist attack. Its time to bring down the 150+ year Monarchy of Saudi Arabia. They have been funding and pushing radical Wahhabi Islam all over the world, and violence follows. If our POTUS attempts to veto this, it will be overruled as this vote passed with a majority with little to no resistance. I wonder how this could affect current operations in Syria???? No telling.

House Resolution 3815, also known as the “Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act” or JASTA, creates an exception to sovereign immunity created by a 1976 law, thus allowing US citizens to sue foreign countries for terrorism that kills Americans on US soil. The law has been invoked to shield Saudi Arabia from lawsuits over the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks..

Further reading related to this action can be found here:

9/11 bill passes US Senate
Saudi Arabia Warns of Economic Fallout if Congress Passes 9/11 Bill
White House threatens to veto 9/11 lawsuit bill
edit on 9-9-2016 by worldstarcountry because: this forum needs preview feature

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

I wonder what would Bush and other Neo cons would say?

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal
Would be interesting to see if either one of them makes a public comment on this. Bush loves his energy partners so much, he takes them on a date holding hands through the garden.

edit on 9-9-2016 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Love how a president who gives Iran hundreds of millions of dollars says you shouldn't be able to sue the Saudis.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Yea, Saudis threatened to sell off US Treasuries if it passed and Obama didn't veto it triggering a real problem for the economy and the dollar. It was awhile ago that I read that story about the Saudis. They spread their Wahhabi ideology and are the root cause of the radicalization of certain sects of muslims. I imagine they would be upset about this and other countries following suit. We should pass laws allowing the suit against any country found to support terrorism. Then maybe these governments would crack down on radicals and the world would be more peaceful. The US could find itself sued which was one of Obama's concerns. Especially since supporting Al-Qaeda and ISIS in Syria or other terrorists operating there.

edit on 9/9/16 by spirit_horse because: typos

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Its stuff like this that makes me have hope in government. It makes me want to participate after a short but devoted life of contempt.

edit on 9 9 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

I wonder what would Bush and other Neo cons would say?

Dont know that but I betchya the ink isnt dry before Obama deep sixes this one.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Really?
This is unprecedented.
I am stunned.
S&F

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

If the Congress overrides the veto by a two-thirds majority in each house, it becomes law without the President's signature.

It was passed 100 - 0 in the Senate. The House passed the measure by voice vote, without objections or recorded individual votes.

This may actually be one that the POTUS cannot stop. If the Saudis have money to build fringe groups their own Churches where they radicalize fanatics all over the Earth, they can afford to pay the families of the victims of 9/11 .

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   

If you want to know who rules over you, find out who you can't. . . . . .

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Whats significant about this bill passing is it was passed by voice vote in both houses, meaning very broad bipartisan support for the bill. It also means the very real possibility of overriding a presidential veto should obama veto the bill. Even Nancy Pelosi commented that the changes the White House wanted for the bill was "too late".

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

If the Congress overrides the veto by a two-thirds majority in each house, it becomes law without the President's signature.

It was passed 100 - 0 in the Senate. The House passed the measure by voice vote, without objections or recorded individual votes.

This may actually be one that the POTUS cannot stop. If the Saudis have money to build fringe groups their own Churches where they radicalize fanatics all over the Earth, they can afford to pay the families of the victims of 9/11 .

Obama being a Constitutional Scholar and with his record , I dont count him out at all. Never underestimate your opponent. He has definitely spoken out against this one.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

just the families? We were all victims, everyone of us. I might have to try and sue them myself.

link   
The world just became a better place now.

link   

originally posted by: lancsnpain1
Love how a president who gives Iran hundreds of millions of dollars says you shouldn't be able to sue the Saudis.

Try billions...

IRAN MAY HAVE RECEIVED Over $33 Billion In Cash AND Gold From Obama

Is anyone watching the bank ? This is unbelievable and treasonous behavior that just continues unchecked by Congress! Where the heck are They anyway? America is so in debt and all Obama can do is spend, spend, spend…

Iran may have received an additional $33.6 billion in secret cash and gold payments facilitated by the Obama administration between 2014 and 2016, according to testimony provided before Congress by an expert on last summer’s nuclear agreement with Iran.

Between January 2014 and July 2015, when the Obama administration was hammering out the final details of the nuclear accord, Iran was paid $700 million every month from funds that had previously been frozen by U.S. sanctions.

A total of $11.9 billion was ultimately paid to Iran, but the details surrounding these payments remain shrouded in mystery, according to Mark Dubowitz, executive director at the Foundation for Defense of Democracies.

In total, “Iran may have received as much as $33.6 billion in cash or in gold and other precious metals,” Dubowitz disclosed.

New questions about these payments are emerging following confirmation from top Obama administration officials on Thursday that it was forced to pay Iran $1.7 billion in cash prior to the release of several U.S. hostages earlier this year. The administration insisted that cash had to be used for this payment.

Top administration officials were adamant that the cash payments were the best way to ensure that Iran got immediate access to this money due to its ongoing difficulty accessing international funds still sanctioned by the West.

click link for article...

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

WTF!? $33,000,000,000 ?! Holy cow man. Gold and cash too??? Man Obama, why you gotta do that??? I guess some may argue that it was Tehrans money to begin with, because of sanctions and all. To that, I say to them, Come and get it!

Well thats the price of diplomacy I guess??? Any idea what the Saudis are paying Hillary's campaign manager to lobby against this???

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   
And you won't hear sh*t about it come Monday. Happy weekend everyone. There is nothing to see here.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   

You have to question why Obama's protecting Saudi Arabia. I'm sure George W Bush would also protect his Saudi Oil King friend! This is the first bi-partisan bill that congress has passed that puts the people first instead of political interests. Let's see if congress overrides Obama's treasonous veto.

I think the families who lost loved ones in the Iraq war should also be allowed to sue Bush and his cronies for lying to the American people about Iraq's connection's to 911 and the supposed stockpile of WMD's. He sent over 5,000 soldiers to an early grave because of a secret agenda to occupy and control Iraq's oil.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

come on man, you may as well vote. Your local municipality still needs your support! Many people forgo Presidential elections forgetting their local reps in City/County/State are also trying to change things locally.

At the very least you can still write in Sanders or Rand/Ron Paul ??? Just to give them a middle finger and let them know you have not given up no matter how hard they try and beat us down emotionally and mentally with their in our face corruption.

I love you all Americans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Deeds dddddd

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Do the people of ATS believe that this is a symbolic vote? I myself think so. Reason being the Saudis are not going to pay any money out. All the congress and senate are saying is, hey you guys are to blame.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join