It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The Shed 11

page: 157
<< 154  155  156    158  159  160 >>

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 09:13 AM

originally posted by: JustMike
...a reply to: Gordi The Drummer
Hi Gordi,
re-visiting pubs doesn't sound too bad, actually. In fact, I am so tempted to do a trip over to Scotland once our housing things are all settled around mid next year. My wife has always wanted to go, and it's decades since I was there last. So, might be asking you to guide us around a few pubs.

Oh Nooooo!
Ach well.... if it's for a shed pal... I suppose it would be alright....

The sacrifices we have to make!!...

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 10:18 AM
Good da-mornin' Shedisans!

a reply to: gimmefootball400

Excellent stuff gimmefootball400! I agree with Night - those pics are pro quality.

a reply to: Night Star

Nice writing Night! Nothing like a lecture from a pixie!

a reply to: JustMike

Thanks for all this, JustMike - that's good information to keep in mind!

a reply to: TNMockingbird
a reply to: JDeLattre89

Thank you, TN - you are a sweetheart.
And thank you, JD - I enjoyed Program 40 also.

I really had fun writing that episode - I've been writing about that character for about 10 years now, so I feel like I know him. (Of course, he probably doesn't like me much for all I've put him through!)

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 10:26 AM

originally posted by: JDeLattre89

originally posted by: TNMockingbird
a reply to: PrairieShepherd

Your story for the SEWC contest was fantastic!

Keep on keepin' on, you'll get it.

I concur!!!

Goodmorrowmorn Sheddiganites!

Ha! So was your story!!!

They were all really great this time, so much talent.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 10:36 AM

I really had fun writing that episode - I've been writing about that character for about 10 years now, so I feel like I know him. (Of course, he probably doesn't like me much for all I've put him through!)

You know that's really cruel right? I mean, in some alternative universe your stories are actually true. Or maybe it is in this universe at a different point in time and or space?

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 11:16 AM
a reply to: JDeLattre89

It was actually Robert Jordan I first read that sentiment from, and it resonated with me. Someone asked him which of his many characters he would most like to sit down to dinner with, and his response was basically, "Well, several, but I'm pretty sure they would not want to sit down to dinner with me."
Gaalen as a character is in a lot of pain; he's been manipulated and punished more than anyone should, and he carries the weight of mistakes that have cost others their lives. At least, that's what he believes. And Siere carries an even heavier burden which I will likely get to in the Shed here - it's part of their interaction and one of the parts of their story I really like.

ANYWAY, I suppose that means I need to try to post a bit more of the story today, huh?

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 11:34 AM
Yes, that is exactly what that means!!! Woohoo!

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:17 PM
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer
Well, it's not the pubs I'm interested in so much -- though some are fascinatingly deeply steeped in the spirits of Time -- it's the whisky they purvey.

I'd love to see that island you took the other ATSers to, though. That would be grand. I went to Skye years ago and it was magical, especially the night I watched the moon rise over the Cuillins.

But that might have been special mainly because of the wonderful young Canadian lady named Bronwyn who I met on Skye. We were both staying in the Youth Hostel place in Broadford on Skye and that night, we went out for a walk together. That was all; we just walked. But it was beautiful and I have never forgotten it. Strolling along a little road, the Scottish mist rising from nowhere and swirling around us, both of us loving each moment as we talked about Life, the Universe, and Everything, as young people do...

That was almost exactly forty years ago, give or take a week. Early October of 1976. And though we only had that one walk on that singular night, I still recall her fondly and with gratitude, and sometimes wonder what might have been if she had not had to go her way the next day as I went mine.

Waxing almost lyrical on a Thursday night? Och, why not?

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:20 PM
I just read the story linked in your signature and only wish I had read it sooner, so I could have starred and flagged it for the contest. I still did (S&F), but sooner would have been better.

You have a delightful style that drew me in. That edge of the mysterious, the sense that there is always more to this than meets the eye. I enjoyed it immensely and would be interested in reading more of your writings.

edit on 13/10/16 by JustMike because: Typo

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:22 PM
a reply to: Martin75

I'll see what I can do - I have a lot of meetings today but I'm on lunch break now so maybe I can get a bit formatted for posting.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:27 PM

WOW! Thanks JustMike! That is exactly the tone I have always aimed for - nice to see I might be hitting it!

Tell you what - I've posted several parts of the main story here in Shed 11. Here are the links to the posts:
Page 135 - first one
Page 136
Page 140
Page 143
Page 146
Page 154

And I'll try to get one or two more posted today. In deference to ccbears I'm trying to keep the posts a bit shorter and more chewable.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:52 PM
You are, indeed, hitting it.

Thank you for the links. I've bookmarked your post and will avidly follow those up when I have time.

By the way, have you published your work at all? I mean, beyond websites like this one, as that is still publishing in a technical sense. In other words, released any books?

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:56 PM
No. Honestly, I have not found anyone really interested in reading it so I've never pursued any kind of publishing. LOL - I could not even get my wife or my best friend to read it! HA! Believe me, it was a BIG step for me to share even what I have on this thread.

Plus, the story's not complete - I guess I have always assumed to get published the first time you need a story that's completed. I have a beginning, and an ending, but much of the middle remains unwritten or undiscovered.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:58 PM
Continued from Page 154...

“Very well then, Lord of Braeghe. Tell me, did you get the order?”

Gaalen hesitated a moment. “Braeghe Color is to hold the center, my Prince,” he said evenly.

“Indeed,” Taarvaes said in a striking imitation of Lady Macosai, which sent the three of them into another short bout of laughter.

“Yes, indeed, my Prince. Lord Artan Elerac is to have the command and lead the cavalry.”

Bryn grunted sourly. Taarvaes was unreadable.

“She must have had her reasons,” Gaalen continued, somewhat defensively. He felt particularly loyal to Lady Macosai, in return for her showing more faith in Gaalen than he knew he had any right to. Bryn just pursed his lips and looked for the serving girl again. Taarvaes sighed.

“You are right, Gaalen,” he said cautiously, “I am certain Lady Macosai did not take the decision lightly.”

“Bah,” Bryn blurted, “you have been spending too much time with Lord Waif here, Taarvaes. You sound just like him. You know just as well as I do what Elerac is good for.”

“Lord Elerac has a broad experience in both the Guard and the Bastion. He is a sound choice for this task.”
They all knew Taarvaes was trying to remain impartial. Gaalen was sure he would like nothing better than to go to Macosai and demand the Lady Captain Commander give him the command for this, but that was exactly why Aavelae’s Bastion remained independent of the Royal Guard.

“Gaalen is the right choice for this command. He has been the right choice for two years,” Bryn growled. Although there was no longer anyone seated right near them, he still kept his voice low.

“Right choice or not, Bryn, Elerac is to have the command. I have to respect that,” Gaalen replied. “It matters not. There will be other commands, yes? Tell me, have either of you met Lord Alaniten Meron?”

“The husband of Amaerke i'Lithelwait?” Asked Taarvaes immediately.

“Yes, that’s him.”

“Of course, he is one of the finest of the Eastern Holdlands’ generals. Meron Color alone could nearly keep the Mons Rosians at bay. An imposing man, Lord Alaniten. Eyes like a hawk, and he never raises his voice. Though, as I understand it, Lady Eveleta is even more fearsome. Luckily, she is one of my mother’s most loyal liegewomen. Why?”

“I am to ensure the safety of one of their daughters, Lady Siere. She claims to be a Seeress, but she is younger than I am. The only Seers I know of have gray in their hair.”

Bryn shrugged, but Taarvaes spoke. “Lady Meron is the youngest Seeress in the Temple, that much I know is true. She is reputed to be one of the strongest Workers ever to attain the rank in Aavelae. I do not know much, other than the rank of Seeress was conferred upon her in Iniver, I believe, but she immediately sailed back to Maarke Lithelwait to serve at the Temple there. Why, I have never been told. What is she like?”

Taarvaes was fascinated by tamborae, the supernatural power called the Gift of Aomm. The Temple Canon maintained it had been bestowed upon humankind in The First Covenant with the Father – the Covenant of The Gift – many thousands of years ago. Every child learned about its existence, but for most it remained just another story of Aomm. Anything more was strictly the province of the Seers of the Temple. Just speaking about it made most uncomfortable, including Gaalen. Much like Lady Macosai had earlier, Bryn shifted in his seat. He began looking around the hall again.

“She is…ah…direct. And carries herself well. Quite a lovely woman,” Gaalen said, glancing at Bryn, “but too
skinny for your tastes, Robaer.” He finished with a chuckle.

“Wouldn’t catch me alone with a Worker anyway. Women are enough trouble as it is,” the big man grumped.

“You are in a fine mood this evening, aren’t you? What has your breeches twisted?”

“Haven’t you heard? Our esteemed Lord Bryn was put in his place today.” Bryn’s mouth twisted in a grimace, but Taarvaes wore a broad, mischievous grin. He was enjoying something immensely.

“What happened?”

“Well,” Taarvaes began conspiratorially, “apparently he went just a bit too far with one of the courtiers. Some minor Lady’s daughter…what was her name? Ah, doesn’t matter. Anyway, she slapped him. In front of half the court. I thought Teryn was going to wet herself trying not to laugh.”

By now Gaalen was sure his own grin was almost as wide as Taarvaes’s, imagining the scene. Bryn’s face had turned red and he took a long draught of his shalt. Gaalen thought he heard him hiss, “Women!” under his breath. “I will stick with the serving women. They at least appreciate being with a noble.”

“Never mind that, Bryn,” said Taarvaes. “When you are Lord Captain of the Royal Guard, Gaalen is Lord High Captain at the Bastion, and I am Prince Consort to Queen Jylaen of Iniver, we shall have all of the noblewomen in the country pounding on our bedchamber doors. Well, except Lord Waif here, I will of course insist he remain faithful to my sister. You and I, though, Lord of Robaer, we will have much more fun.”

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 01:16 PM
Hello Sheddites! I hope you are all having a lovely day!

Shep, thank you! Glad you are enjoying my stories! Oh, the companions get lectures from the little pixie all the time. She is very strong willed and opinionated, but underneath it all, she is very loyal and loving. I love playing her character! I enjoyed your latest entry very much!
Keep it up!

I love everyone's story lines and look forward to reading more!

Mike, very happy to see you popping in today! I know how busy you can get and all.

Gordi, Martin, JD, Gimme and Chirp, great to see you all!

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 01:25 PM

***Make mental note: Don't give Mike Whisky on a misty night on Skye...***

'Tis a Magical Place sir!
I have been to Broadford myself, and the Cuillins (both Red & Black varieties) are Mega-Magical!
Did you meet the "Old Man"? (of Storr) whilst there? I've got some cracking good photos of him here somewhere...

The Isle where the ATS Shed gathering took place.. was Isle Of Cumbrae. (Also known as Millport, after the only Town on the Island)
I have a holiday flat there and am lucky enough to visit on a regular basis!
Would b happy to give you the grand tour!

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 01:32 PM

Anywhere near the sea is heaven to me.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 01:54 PM
Well, I met a New Dragon on Sunday...

This handsome fella is a Viking Dragon-Prowed longboat sculpture and he lives in the Marina at Largs (near the Ferry terminal for Mysterious Island!)

And today I met another Dragon... whilst out walking this afternoon!

Did you spot him???
He's in the middle of the 2nd photo from last....

It was a Dragonfly! (Quite hard to spot in there...)

Anyway, a rather frustrating day at work turned into a GREAT afternoon walk... so BigG is now a happy bunny again.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 02:02 PM
The most important thing is to keep writing, and eventually get your story done. Or at least, a "Volume 1" of it done. Then you can consider publishing.

It's true that publishers only want completed MSS (if they are fiction), but the main reason for getting a story finished is very personal: it has an effect on you. While that's true for short stories, it's much more so for book-length ones. You will feel a great sense of achievement, along with something else that is nigh on impossible to convey, as it's at a much deeper level.

Once it's done, you can then publish it yourself if you wish. The "Indie" (Independent Publishing) route is one many authors take these days. I did and I am happy with the results. We have quite a few ATS members (including some in the Shed) who have also published books, some of them several, and most as Indie releases.

And frankly, it doesn't matter how many people read it. Some will! And once it's published, "out there" and available to be read, you will feel a stronger motivation to write more.

I understand what you are saying about having "a beginning, and an ending, but much of the middle remains unwritten or undiscovered". It was much the same for me. With my book, I wrote the prologue first and then a few chapters that wound up in Part II (of that volume's two parts), then the epilogue. But the other chapters came out in a strange order, so I wrote a large slice of Part II before I had gone beyond outlines for most of Part I. Then, after writing most of Part I, I wrote the last five chapters of Part II -- cca 40,000 words in ten days -- then went back and wrote the very final chapter in Part I absolutely last!

Some people can write a story straight out from beginning to end, but aside from very short stories, that never works for me. I have to wait until it's "revealed" to me before I can complete it.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 02:06 PM
Oddly enough, I had no whisky on that magical night. Sacrilegious to say, but perhaps none was required.

I don't recall meeting the "Old Man" of Storr. Must look that up!

A holiday flat on an island! Sounds wonderful! The website sure paints it as a great place to visit. We must see about another ATS get-together. Would be fantastic to get over there and meet you and a few others!

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 02:10 PM
a reply to: Night Star
Hi, Night!

Great to be able to drop by. I have to log out now but hope to get on here again tomorrow and Saturday.

And yes, it's always wonderful to be near the sea. I miss it here as we don't have any, but the Czech highlands are lovely in their own unique way and I love spending time at our cottage there. Every land can have its charms.

top topics

<< 154  155  156    158  159  160 >>