It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shed 11

page: 156
<< 153  154  155    157  158  159 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Mousygretchen

They can be found easily enough. Thanks for that information! I didn't know that.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Yup, sadly we don't have many down here. I think its februaray or January? The sap runs like water and it is very clean, but I've never tasted it myself. Maybe one out of every 50 trees will have the Chaga mushroom. It looks like a big, round burnt residue on the side of the tree, people grind it down and make tea out of it, it has life-giving properties.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Mousygretchen

Very interesting. Thanks for that!

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

Shep, you are a great writer, now ask for writer's status!

Yes he is.
I seem to recall one must be recommended by another writer, I don't think one can "apply". Perhaps I am wrong.
I would do it but I don't feel adequate.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: WalkInSilence

Thank you WIS and Night Star. You know, I actually PM'd a mod about it today. Turns out it's in the ATS T&C's that you have to be here at least 6 months, so I'm not even eligible for Writer until January unless I win a writing contest.

BUT, no worries. I am a pretty patient Shepherd. One has to be to shepherd dragons.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDeLattre89

Gordi: In your defense, the holy grail probably is in Ireland. Some pub probably has it mixed in with all their other old mugs and still uses it for drinking games.

That is the answer to my puzzle!!!
I have had a draught from the "Holy Grail". Now I must recover from which of the numerous pubs it was in, that I befriended during my sailing years.
This could take time and tremendous effort to search through the fog that covers those visits.
Gordi is to blame, he should just have held on to it. Rascal.

Please forgive me for being silly, I am paid to be cordial and pleasant all day, it is so terribly, unforgivably boring.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: WalkInSilence

Please forgive me for being silly, I am paid to be cordial and pleasant all day, it is so terribly, unforgivably boring.

been there done that . . . left for good cause without the shirt. And I don't envy you one iota.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Hello Wis and JD!

Wis, no, you do not need to be recommended by another member to get writers status. I asked before I even entered any contests because of all the story lines I wrote in all the Sheds and they honored me with the title.

JD, you will indeed get that title. You deserve it.

I hope everyone is well tonight. It seems most of the Sheddites are in lurking mode today or busy or stuck in the real world right now and can't get out. Poor darlings.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Hi Sheddians

Got word the other day that a particular move was coming up this past Tuesday. So after making a phone call to a friend of mine and setting our minds to make the three hour jaunt up towards Staunton, Virginia at 2 in the morning on Tuesday. We then set out late Tuesday morning hoping to be able to catch this equipment move coming over the Buckingham Branch. Get to the location just outside of Staunton that I had found. We set up and get the train passing by but there was one thing I could not do. Couldn't get to snap a photo off as it came around the curve and I just had enough time to press record on the video camera. The only photo that I got of the train was of it passing by a farm just west of Craigsville, Virginia up on the North Mountain subdivision.

Coming by the former location of the eastbound distant signal to Craigsville at Pig Pen. The New River Train equipment move is seen scampering down the North Mountain subdivision heading for Clifton Forge and Huntington, West Virginia for this weekend and next weekend's festivities. No I didn't make that name up either!

Video evidence of yesterday's madness.........

Nothing like getting the full experience of the Buckingham Branch Railroad. A passenger train doing sixty miles an hour over jointed rail......... I want to do it again!!!

On another note...

You guys remember my photo of Amtrak coming by the old semaphore mast at Craigsville that I took a couple of months ago? Well, we had actually thought about shooting the equipment move there coming by the former location of the east end of the old siding.

It's a good thing we didn't and we had a few minutes to spare. This is what we found when we got to Craigsville and pulled up to where the signal was. Needless to say that it was a depressing site to see them down. On a good note, these signals are slated to be sent to the Chesapeake & Ohio Historical Society in Clifton Forge, Virginia. Makes sense it would be considering it appeared to have been gently placed where it was laying nothing appeared to be broken or missing.

Apparently when we were up there on Tuesday. Buckingham Branch had came through there the day before and that day and removed some of the old signals that the Chesapeake & Ohio had installed.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Continued from page 154

Just as Garren turned away from the fading view of his departing friends, he saw the magnificent white wolf bounding into the courtyard. "Wolf, I thought you left without saying goodbye my fine furry friend." "Forgive me Garren, I didn't realize the time. I was exploring and met others of my kind. They have united together and decided to stay and guard the Palace grounds. I have no special gift for you, only that of my loyalty and friendship. In my travels, I shall spread the word of the returning Prince turned King and of these great lands. You shall be know far and wide." The white wolf raised up on his hind legs and with his front legs, hugged his friend. Garren was so touched by the love of such a wondrous creature.

He ruffled the soft, snow white fur of the wolf and lay his head against the animal. "I wish you a safe journey and a world of love my friend. It has been an honor knowing you and I will remember you always." "As will I." replied the wolf.
Wolf raced away to catch up with his companions, stopping only once to look back before racing off again.

Pesky tried to fly but the winds were rather strong so she decided to ride upon Hugo's back. "Where is Wolf? Has anyone seen him? I haven't seen him anywhere for a while now." Her companions were somber as they walked through the open fields, memories of their loss still fresh in their minds. "I'm sure he will be along soon. replied Night. Pesky being Pesky couldn't remain silent for very long. "So...where are we off to anyway? Another great adventure? Some battle against the dark forces somewhere? Perhaps back home to the shed? Maybe we will find something interesting along the way in some wayward Inn or Tavern." Jojopo stopped and snapped at the Pixie. "Can't you give us a moment of peace and quiet? We had to leave our friend behind and may never see him again. Does that mean anything to you? Anything at all?"

Pesky, with hands firmly upon her hips stared at the goblin. "Garren is going to be very happy where he is and looking after the people of the Kingdom. The lands are filled with the animals he holds so dear. His home is a castle by the sea, vast forested areas with tall ancient trees raising up toward the sun. He is in good hands with good people. I will miss him too ya know, but I sense great joy for him, not sadness. Besides, do you think he would want us mourning as though he has passed on to the great beyond? No, no he would not!" Hugo sighed. "Some are feeling a mix of emotions right now and they should be respected. You are a Pixie, I am a winged wildcat, our thoughts and feelings and the way we deal with them may be different than others."

Pesky considered his words and realized he was right. "Can I at least say how colorful and beautiful the leaves are this time of year? They are breath taking, just breath taking!" Night chuckled in spite of her sadness.

edit on 13-10-2016 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: gimmefootball400

Heya Chooch! Nice pics and video! You take so many pics and vids, I wonder if the conductors are starting to notice you? They must be thinking, there's that dude again. He's always taking pictures. LOL

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Hey Lorri!!

Thanks hun! Yes, yes the engineers and conductors around here have gotten familiar with me over the years. Believe it or not, I did have one crew text a friend of mine that was on a train behind them where I was at.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Cool! You should have been a conductor yourself! Don't forget to sell those photos of yours! They are professional and great shots!

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Goodnight Shed and all who dwell within.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 02:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: WalkInSilence

That is the answer to my puzzle!!!
I have had a draught from the "Holy Grail". Now I must recover from which of the numerous pubs it was in, that I befriended during my sailing years.
This could take time and tremendous effort to search through the fog that covers those visits.
Gordi is to blame, he should just have held on to it. Rascal....

Oh NO! Does this mean that we'll have to re-visit all of those pubs TOGETHER to get it back??
(Sounds like a fine Shed-Gathering to me!!)

Just a quick hello - trying to catch up in the Shed very quickly before work must creep into my day.
"Once more into the breach dear shed dwellers..."

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Hi everyone,
no chance of catching up the last 30 pages of this Shed that have been posted since I was last on and able to read some! So if anything highly important has happened, someone please let me know.

Now just a few quick replies from this page:

a reply to: Gordi The Drummer
Hi Gordi,
re-visiting pubs doesn't sound too bad, actually. In fact, I am so tempted to do a trip over to Scotland once our housing things are all settled around mid next year. My wife has always wanted to go, and it's decades since I was there last. So, might be asking you to guide us around a few pubs.

Hey there, Chooch,
I'm always fascinated by the railways pics and related stories you post. And you're so good with your camera/s! Keep 'em coming!

a reply to: PrairieShepherd
Hi Shep,

yes, it's pretty much like Night said. Back in the old days on ATS (I'm talking 8 or 9 years ago or thereabouts, you needed writer status to start a thread in the Writer's forum. I recall writing to one of the supers who was helping to run it back then and she kindly gave it to me. But more recently, as ATS's membership has grown and grown, it's usually been given to those who have won a writers' competition. However, that is not essential and there have been times when ATS members have been given writer status without that.

The "six month" proviso is a fairly general one, that also applies to eg promoting your own website/book/products etc via your signature, or starting threads about them. Generally speaking, provided your website (etc) is not in direct competition with ATS, then after you have been a "member in good standing" for six months, you can write to the owners and ask permission.

If you need help or advice with anything re ATS, please feel free to write to me via PM. I am not on here so much these days as I am sorting out some things in real life, but I log in whenever I have the chance and always check my messages.
Alternatively, just write to any ATS moderator -- as you have done before.

Hi, Night!
I have missed so much of your story, and all the ones by other members as well. I'm looking forward to catching up on them when I have the time.

To anyone I've missed: my apologies! I'm pushed for time as on top of everything else, I have a 25-page translation to read and edit -- and they need it back tomorrow! So, I'll have to bail out for some hours and will try to get back on here again this evening (my time). I really miss being on here but sometimes in life we just have to prioritize.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Your story for the SEWC contest was fantastic!

Keep on keepin' on, you'll get it.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird

Your story for the SEWC contest was fantastic!

Keep on keepin' on, you'll get it.

I concur!!!

Goodmorrowmorn Sheddiganites!

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Ok, I brought the doughnuts . . . who's gonna catch the coffee this morn?

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: JDeLattre89
OMG! That is hilarious!!!!

Good morning everyone! Sorry I have been MIA some here lately. Hopefully work will slow down and I can pop in more here soon. [[[SHEDHUGS]]] to everyone!!!

top topics

<< 153  154  155    157  158  159 >>

join