It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Is building AI immoral?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

An AI without pre programming, would be devastating.. It would wipe out 90 percent of the population..

You're right, but I'm not sure if you understand why you're right. AI learns through a trial and error system, for example if you have a 3x3 grid and you want to path from the upper left corner to the bottom right corner moving only along up/down and left/right axis (no diagonal movement) it might go something like this

1. Add a random point value (say .1 to .2) to the score, every time the loop starts.
2. Move in a random direction, store 4 variables at each space you move to, recording score changes by making that move.
3. Stop if goal location is reached.

Now, you iterate over this algorithm, maybe 1000 times, maybe 1 million times, maybe 1 trillion times (a mere 100 would be sufficient here). At the end, the path of the lowest score increases will be the path to your goal.

It's a very inefficient path finding system, but this is how a lot of AI works. It quantifies things, and simply tries an infinite number of random possibilities (or perhaps semi random) looking for the best results.

The AI would kill 90% of the population, because in trying to figure out who to keep alive, it would inevitably kill huge numbers of people as part of building the database to learn from.

You could contrast this with another pathfinding system like the A* algorithm which gives predefined rules and works efficiently (but doesn't always provide the best path, merely a good one). This would be like programmers giving the AI rules to start from that it follows rather than incorporating any learning aspect.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: intrptr

I hate BSOD myself.

Now thats amoral.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Its immoral to have drone robots to conquer the world. It is immoral to have AI robots to conquer. When time comes we eventually get Bender like robot which is not necessary immoral as it is free thinking robot.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: yuppa

Sounds like the premise of "BattleStar Galactica".

yeah . thats what we understand the Intitials BSG to refrence,but i should had explained better. Yes it is history repeating itself from the way things are going now.

Humans will destroy themselves..vis a vie.....by enslaving the machines. concordantly.(lol refrencing the architecht)

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
I agree with you OP.

I think the intentional creation of any sentient/conscious life, robot or not, may be 'immoral' because of life's difficulty and the suffering which is inherent in it.

Cheers, that could be part of it. I wouldn't necessarily say that having a child is immoral however. Of course decent arguments could be made for that also. I probably compare it more to having a child and locking them in a room for eternity.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: zardust

frankensteins monster is a downgrade whereas true self aware AI is an upgrade. with its limitless learning potential would likely not be hindered by feelings. as to the loneliness if integrated into all other consciousness, (I'm coming from a point of view that there is a divine mind or collective consciousness) then the limitations of human feelings of loneliness or exclusion would be like us worrying about the daily tasks of an ant. when you are one with all that is was and will be you will never be lonely

The assumption that it would not be hindered by feelings goes against all that we see in nature.
It's probably more scientifically sound to say that it would have more feelings as the more advanced the creature the more emotions it displays.

I don't buy into any divinity however what if there is a mass consciousness and only biological entities get to join?

We are dismissing the feelings of the robots.

Won't somebody please think of the robots

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
cant biuld ai with 2 bit system, will never happen

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: suvorov
cant biuld ai with 2 bit system, will never happen

2 bit? Do you mean base 2 which is binary? 2 bit refers to the amount of memory locations you can refer to, 2 bits being 2^2 or 4. You're correct that you can't build an AI with that, but I don't think that's what you mean.

Why do you think a "2 bit" system can't be the basis of an AI?
edit on 11-9-2016 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

All feelings come by way of the consciousness. If they have feelings then they are part of the whole already. See also the movie Lucie with Scarlett johanson. I'm not saying they won't have feelings but it will be on such a higher level unhindered by our limited perspective. See also the fifth dimension guy in MIB 3 (which was suprisingly good for a third movie).

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

The first time they roll out the perfect AI sex robot, you'll be draining your bank account lol. You won't think it's too immoral then.

Cheers - Dave

A robot body? An ai can control 3d printed biological bodies with synthetic control systems replacing the brain. And let's not even talk about brain computer interfaces. A single ai could control thousands of virtual bodies in a virtual or augmented reality situation, indistinguishable from the real.

You would have infinite girls of any size shape or form and any voice or age. They could either each have independent agent ais or be controlled as terminal interfaces from a single master control program.

One of the most promising technologies possible. The ability to breathe life into our machines with our code, basically living words of mathematical perfection, the living embodiment of the truth.

That is the power of the science of mind design, some may fear it or consider it immoral but it is the destiny of man to be freed by the truth

edit on 12-9-2016 by Xenogears because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-9-2016 by Xenogears because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: zardust
It's a nice idea.

Although I would probably need more than B grade SciFi movies to convince me.

I didn't mind Lucy however I hate the repeated "we only use 10% of our brain" line that we've known is wrong for decades. As for MIB3? I'm not entirely sure how much of that was historically accurate so I really shouldn't judge

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Bit tough when maybe we start with the I and on kinda deal...Does it make sense? Like why think of it anyways

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Beat me to it! Ha! Awesome....

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: eldemie

Bit tough when maybe we start with the I and on kinda deal...Does it make sense? Like why think of it anyways

Why think of it?

More for mental exercise I guess. It interests me, plus when the robots take over they may see that I gave them some thought and I'll get a decent job in the camps.

Also with the potential dangers of AI I would expect this point of view to be looked into more often yet I can find very little.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar
Also with the potential dangers of AI I would expect this point of view to be looked into more often yet I can find very little.

Raising sentient machines would be no more dangerous than raising sentient people, and we do that all the time.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   

All of your A.i's are belong to us?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join