It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why You Should Treat Dating Like a Job Interview

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Here are seven tips to keep in mind when looking to bring on a full-time partner.

1. Survey past relationship “experience.”

2. Identify your strengths and weaknesses.

3. Consider his or her educational background.

4. Know what your goals are going into the situation.

5. Don’t act desperate.

6. Be flexible, but don’t compromise too much.

7. Don’t pretend to be someone you’re not.

Source

I imagine many idealists will have a problem with the thought that dating is like job interviewing. But, if your goal is marriage then how could you look at dating as anything but job interviewing?

Even in the case of dating for fun, I still think dating is like job interviewing in the beginning. The whole point there is for the two people to make sure they are a good match. Finding out whether you're a good match with your significant other requires a kind of job interviewing regardless of the situation.

What's your advice that crosses the boundaries between job interviews and dating?

My advice is to not settle for too little. Just as unemployed people may just take the first job offer (even if it's beneath them); I believe the same thing happens often in dating.
edit on 8-9-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Hey, I'm no expert, but if someone tries to pressure me into feeling like an applicant, I get the hell out of dodge. For this reason, I try not to make anybody feel pressured and scrutinized.

Sounds like the dumbest thing you could do to a potential partner. Do you know anybody that actually likes job interviews?

You learn about them the more you talk and spend time together. If the whole 'getting to know you' ends up being an interview, then it sounds like there's no room for surprises, passion, or excitement. It's just 'work' for both of you.

You'll just end up making people feel like a totally replaceable commodity, which is what most job positions are.

Oh yeah, and how many people lie during interviews? Everybody.

edit on 8-9-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   
If their car looks like you want the inside of your car to, then go for it.

If you break this rule, you will encite chaos like no other.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   
if youre a wierd sociopath then ok, but i dont think normal people will agree with this.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   
You only get one chance to make a false impression.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   
This op is going to create some real gynophobia outbreaks here in ats land.
Here play this, while you read that.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   

You're not far off the mark.

You really need to go into dating with the mindset that. This is the person you are going to invest time, money and effort for a very long time. Possibly for the rest of your life.

A relationship is a lot of work. You need to find someone that is worth that work.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: CraftBuilder

Haha, I went to meet a girls dad once, I reached across the table to shake hands, and punched a candle all over, covering him and otherd with hot, red wax.

Smooooooth operator on that one.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

You're thinking about overt interviewing. In reality, it can be as simple as the "door test" discussed in the movie clip below. From the film A Bronx Tale:

"Alright, listen to me. You pull up right where she lives, right? Before you get outta the car, you lock both doors. Then, get outta the car, you walk over to her. You bring her over to the car. Dig out the key, put it in the lock and open the door for her. Then you let her get in. Then you close the door. Then you walk around the back of the car and look through the rear window. If she doesn't reach over and lift up that button so that you can get in: dump her."

"Just like that?"

"Listen to me, kid. If she doesn't reach over and lift up that button so that you can get in, that means she's a selfish broad and all you're seeing is the tip of the iceberg. You dump her and you dump her fast."

www.youtube.com...

a reply to: Rikku

The idea of dating being like job interviews was one of the main themes of the TV show Seinfeld. I've never heard anyone call it sociopathic. The clip below is the most obvious example I know of.

www.youtube.com...

originally posted by: CraftBuilder

Are you equating job interviews with lying? I don't. I don't lie during job interviews or dating.

As to whether it's "false" to follow the advice in the original post, listen to how the woman in the video below describes makeup. Is she describing deceit?

Makeup is literally war paint. It is putting on a mask for the world to look at so that they think a certain thing about you...But, my understanding of war makeup, of war paint, is that you want to look fierce. You want to be feared, you want to look fierce. You want to frighten the enemy. And, for women, it's the same thing, you want to go out there and you want other women to look at you and think a certain thing about you. And, you want the men to look at you and you want them to think a certain thing about you...

What [makeup] is doing, it's attracting people to us for our own gains...Once someone gets to actually know you, it doesn't matter as much. Like, before you get married, you're always gonna be flawless. Your dress is gonna be perfect. You're gonna wear your big push-up bra and your tight jeans. And, your hair is gonna be beautiful. And, your makeup is gonna be flawless because you want to attract this person to you. Once you've attracted them to you and you start to feel more comfortable and they start to love you, you don't feel like you have to put on your war paint because you feel safe in that person's environment...

[Makeup] is something that women put on to feel more confident in their surroundings. And, to get a certain message across to other people. Either, "Don't touch me, I'm very professional" or "Love me, I'm flowery and pink and pretty" or "I'm a vixen, I have all this on because I'm super sexy and I want a boyfriend."

www.youtube.com...

Is Makeup Like War Paint?

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I always give the same advice for job interviews:

Be sure to repeatedly mention the New World Order.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

The idea of dating being like job interviews was one of the main themes of the TV show Seinfeld. I've never heard anyone call it sociopathic. The clip below is the most obvious example I know of.

Whoa whoa whoa...Do you understand what Seinfeld was about? It's a comedy about border-line sociopaths. There's no way anybody looks at Seinfeld as an example of how to function in society.

Nice try though.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   

What ever happened to.. it just wasn't meant to be or, i just found my long lost best friend. 2 peas in a pod..

It's not an interview. It's a chance encounter. Ying yang. But my goal is not marriage, It should not be a contract. For me it's just, 'Damn I can't imagine not being in her presence right now'. Or ever.. 😊

It's about learning and wanting to learn from one another. Feeling Safe🤗.

I'm done.

Edit: having read my review. Sure it might be an interview. 😜
edit on 8-9-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

Whoa whoa whoa...Do you understand what Seinfeld was about? It's a comedy about border-line sociopaths. There's no way anybody looks at Seinfeld as an example of how to function in society.

Nice try though.

This is the relevant part of the post of mine that you referenced:

"I've never heard anyone call it sociopathic."

You replied with a counter-claim: "It's a comedy about border-line sociopaths." Can you prove that claim is true?

Here's another example of what I'm talking about. Once again, it's a clip from a comedy. But, these comedies are based on the reality of how life works.

www.youtube.com...

Getting back to the "door test"...

You're thinking about overt interviewing. In reality, it can be as simple as the "door test" discussed in the movie clip below. From the film A Bronx Tale:

"Alright, listen to me. You pull up right where she lives, right? Before you get outta the car, you lock both doors. Then, get outta the car, you walk over to her. You bring her over to the car. Dig out the key, put it in the lock and open the door for her. Then you let her get in. Then you close the door. Then you walk around the back of the car and look through the rear window. If she doesn't reach over and lift up that button so that you can get in: dump her."

"Just like that?"

"Listen to me, kid. If she doesn't reach over and lift up that button so that you can get in, that means she's a selfish broad and all you're seeing is the tip of the iceberg. You dump her and you dump her fast."

www.youtube.com...

After thinking it through, that's terrible advice in my opinion. What if the other person just by chance is distracted by something and consequently they don't look at the other lock?

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 11:39 PM
link   

You replied with a counter-claim: "It's a comedy about border-line sociopaths." Can you prove that claim is true?

Yes I can, chief.

Am I going to waste any more time on this thread?

No, sir, I'm not.

edit on 8-9-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Dang! I thought i was the only living human with a DVD of Amazon Women On the Moon.
Gutenberg was good.. but it was an Arsinio Hall introduction... no thelma here!

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   

What if there's a stickshift in the way, or she's short and can't reach?

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   
The heart knows best and it takes time to get to know a house, a town, a partner, a friend, a parent...... the list goes on. Just the attitude that you have got a list like that says a lot.a reply to: Profusion

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 02:58 AM
link   

After thinking it through, that's terrible advice in my opinion. What if the other person just by chance is distracted by something and consequently they don't look at the other lock?

Am I missing something?

But which car in this day and age doesn't have central locking system.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

A Bronx Tale is a very old movie.

The "door test" may have to be changed if there's a remake.

edit on 9-9-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   

With all due respect ....

What ever happened to that *Eyes locking across the room experience*...

The stomach churning, butterfly fluttering feeling on the recognising

of a 'potential' soulmate/or if as you would prefer job applicant.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join