It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Moon and the Sun...Wierd

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I just ran across something that I never actually even thought of.

Did anyone ever notice that even though the moon is 2160 miles in diameter and the Sun is 870,000 miles in diameter. (You could put about 403 moons in a straight line to get the diameter of the sun.)

We are in the exact position that the moon eclipses the sun perfectly and vise versa?

I'm an athiest...but that's just wierd....

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
www.astronomy.com...

October 2000
Believe it or not, it actually is just a coincidence — and a happy one at that. The Moon and Sun have virtually the same angular size in our sky because the Sun is about 400 times wider than the Moon, but it's also about 400 times farther away. This allows us to see spectacular coronal displays and prominences during total solar eclipses. Interestingly, this hasn't always been the case. Tidal interactions cause the Moon to spiral about one inch per year away from Earth. In the distant past, the Moon was close enough to Earth so that it could block the Sun's entire disk and then some. Our prehuman ancestors would not have witnessed the beautiful coronal displays that we now enjoy. And about 50 million years from now, the Moon will be far enough away so that our descendants will only see annular eclipses.

So why do we happen to live in the brief period of Earth's history when the moon just barely blocks the sun? Indeed, the odds against it are enormous. But the universe is a large enough place so that highly improbable coincidences can and do occur. It's important to note, however, that even today some solar eclipses are annular because the Earth and Moon have elliptical orbits. — ROBERT NAEYE, SENIOR EDITOR

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Maybe this represents an ideal equilibrium between planetary mass, orbital velocity, gravity and such that makes the Earth ideal for life. Wish their was a formula that showed why the moon just happened to be the size it is and look apparently the same size as the sun.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I'm an raised as an Atheist but I am leaning more and more towards the fact that the galaxy HAS inteligent design, who ever designed it, we might never know, but this entity is definitly the true "god", not some alien imposter like Yaweh...

I personally feel Ea/El/Enki might be the true creator, but I have only faith to back that up with...

[edit on 21/1/2005 by GrOuNd_ZeRo]

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Its amazing what you learn when you study!

Yeah its weird, but then so is life.

top topics

join