It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iceland unearths rock to appease angry elves.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I just thought this was funny, but on the other hand I don't want to anger any elves, Santas or otherwise.

ICELAND has been forced to bow to pressure from elves and uncover a supposedly enchanted elfin rock after highway workers accidentally buried it — infuriating the mythical creatures, reports said Tuesday. The angry elves were suspected of causing a series of mishaps after the rock was covered over when workers cleared away the debris from a landslide, the Morgunbladid daily reported. Iceland is no stranger to bending to the will of its elfin population. Construction sites have previously been moved so as not to disturb the creatures and fishermen have refused to go to sea because of their warnings: in Iceland, elves are part of every day life.
I guess some cultures have their thing.

Sveinn Zophoniasson, who works for the Bass road construction company, told the paper that his woes began in August 2015 in Siglufjordur, close to the site of the so-called “elfin lady stone” that was covered with earth following efforts to clear a mudslide from a highway. After the landslide was cleared, the road was subsequently flooded and a colleague of Zophoniasson who came to clear the route was injured. Then industrial machinery began to fail and a journalist who came to cover the growing chaos fell into a mud pool and had to be pulled to safety. “Nobody even thought of the rock,” even though the area is regarded as a sacred place in local folklore, said Zophoniasson.
Imagine that, a journalist fell in the mud!

The decision was made that the Iceland Road Administration would unearth the rock — an artefact according to a 2012 law to protect Iceland’s elfin heritage — and it was subsequently cleaned with a pressure washer last week. Elves are described by the hundreds of people who claim to have seen them as simple, normally peaceful creatures that look like humans — but smaller. In 1971 elves reportedly disrupted construction of a national highway from Reykjavik to the northeast. The project suffered repeated unusual technical difficulties because, it was claimed, elves did not want the large boulder that served as their home to be moved to make way for the new road.
Very strong customs they have, and by no means am I debunking this story, lol, found it kind of cool. Wanted to post a youtube video, but no dice. northernnatalcourier.co.za...

edit on 8-9-2016 by laughingdog because: youtube video not working

added another site.
edit on 8-9-2016 by laughingdog because: added. site.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: laughingdog

This was in the news around 2009 and more evidence of repeat, recycle, upcycle, renew etc.

Wherever people go we find extraordinary critters, orbs, ghosts, goblins and Elves.

In two or three centuries people will be living in environments on the Moon and Mars and the space in between. We might have hotel-style constructs in Lagrangian points or orbiting further out than the satellite rings around Earth.

It'll be interesting to see if Elves and ghosts and whatever else get blended in to life in the outposts.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   

There's been a few threads in the past about Iceland and their weird belief in Elves that dwell in the rocks.

I saw an article on this last week which led me on a journey in youtube where I found an ex group member of an electronic music group I used to like had done a video on the Icelandic Elves

It makes me wonder what other common Pagan beliefs would still exist today if Christianity hadn't purged them (or stolen them)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Glad you enjoyed it, I really had problems with the video, but enjoyed putting this post together.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   

As long as there are people, there will always be sightings and experiences of the paranormal.

I'm not discounting any of it simply because I've had more than my share of experiences. But I also recognize that anyone can hallucinate or have an overactive imagination, depending on the circumstances (or intoxication level).

So yeah, you'd still probably hear reports of UFOs around our moon bases; ghosts and spirits haunting the bases; possible alien encounters or things lurking in the shadows, etc.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

I actually believe Christianity placated the pagans a bit, considering the days of the week, the months, and the sabbath.
Thanks for visiting my post, and the cool vid.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

This was in the news around 2009 and more evidence of repeat, recycle, upcycle, renew etc.

Wherever people go we find extraordinary critters, orbs, ghosts, goblins and Elves.

In two or three centuries people will be living in environments on the Moon and Mars and the space in between. We might have hotel-style constructs in Lagrangian points or orbiting further out than the satellite rings around Earth.

It'll be interesting to see if Elves and ghosts and whatever else get blended in to life in the outposts.

Just wanted to post something different, and I knew it was an older article, just trying to stay out of the political quagmire for a spell.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Destination Truth you decide after watching that episode on Netflix

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   

The Icelanders and many on the Scandinavian country's as well as Ireland and some in Scotland still do believe in these nature spirit's, in fact it may be there belief which feed's these projection's and makes them semi real for those that do.

Now I DO believe there are other thing's than us here on earth and I do believe very strongly in the soul but tiny fairies are something that even I find hard to swallow (whole).

edit on 8-9-2016 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   

I believe stranger things are possible..

My German Shepherd is out of her head nuts over certain rocks. She goes berserk on particular ones, as if they're taunting her...

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   
A thread on elves. I felt obligated to show up. I'm just a forest elf, so it wouldn't bother me if you wanted to move a rock.

Interesting thread. It's not only in Iceland that elves are respected either. Isn't Ireland the same way?

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: donktheclown

Maybe people are buried beneath your rocks and the area is haunted. Ya never know.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: laughingdog
I just thought this was funny, but on the other hand I don't want to anger any elves, Santas or otherwise.

ICELAND has been forced to bow to pressure from elves and uncover a supposedly enchanted elfin rock after highway workers accidentally buried it — infuriating the mythical creatures, reports said Tuesday. The angry elves were suspected of causing a series of mishaps after the rock was covered over when workers cleared away the debris from a landslide, the Morgunbladid daily reported. Iceland is no stranger to bending to the will of its elfin population. Construction sites have previously been moved so as not to disturb the creatures and fishermen have refused to go to sea because of their warnings: in Iceland, elves are part of every day life.
I guess some cultures have their thing.

Sveinn Zophoniasson, who works for the Bass road construction company, told the paper that his woes began in August 2015 in Siglufjordur, close to the site of the so-called “elfin lady stone” that was covered with earth following efforts to clear a mudslide from a highway. After the landslide was cleared, the road was subsequently flooded and a colleague of Zophoniasson who came to clear the route was injured. Then industrial machinery began to fail and a journalist who came to cover the growing chaos fell into a mud pool and had to be pulled to safety. “Nobody even thought of the rock,” even though the area is regarded as a sacred place in local folklore, said Zophoniasson.
Imagine that, a journalist fell in the mud!

The decision was made that the Iceland Road Administration would unearth the rock — an artefact according to a 2012 law to protect Iceland’s elfin heritage — and it was subsequently cleaned with a pressure washer last week. Elves are described by the hundreds of people who claim to have seen them as simple, normally peaceful creatures that look like humans — but smaller. In 1971 elves reportedly disrupted construction of a national highway from Reykjavik to the northeast. The project suffered repeated unusual technical difficulties because, it was claimed, elves did not want the large boulder that served as their home to be moved to make way for the new road.
Very strong customs they have, and by no means am I debunking this story, lol, found it kind of cool. Wanted to post a youtube video, but no dice. northernnatalcourier.co.za...

added another site.
Hhhmmmm....... Clearing a mudslide and you got hurt? Probably elves.

What? Your machinery broke down? Probably #in elves!!! Machines would never break if it weren't for those damned elves.

Journalists fallin into holes? Noooo!!! Elves pushed em.

Road construction takin a long time? #in eeeeelves!!!

Sounds like we need to stop makin laws to protect these little terrorists.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   
So how exactly do you get the job as the lawyer representing the elves? And what form of payment do they use?

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

I can't think of anything more convincing than a beautiful blonde woman with mesmerizing eyes and a thick northern accent.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Bring me folklore!

Yes, I enjoy seeing how different people see their worlds. Ancestral spirits of the African forests, elves in Iceland, mountain gods etc.

a reply to: enlightenedservant

Indubitably!! I absolutely believe that people see a menagerie of critters and entities that chop and change according to regions and cultures. By extension, I feel almost certain that we'd see UFOs on Mars and have 'haunted' sensations in Moon habitats.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   

I agree. If I was full fledged skeptic, I'd just say that most humans are crazy. But since I've also seen some things that I can only explain through paranormal means, I have to acknowledge they're possibly real. Then again, I fully acknowledge that I may be crazy too. It's quite the dilemma.

Plus, it's not like people will forget our cultural and religious superstitions just because we've changed locations. Otherwise, all of our old legends and superstitions would've died off by now. Some traditions have died off, but some people still throw coins in wishing wells (a pagan tradition), believe in the Easter bunny (a pagan fertility deity), only shake hands with the right hand, believe in lucky rabbits' feet and monkey paws, etc.

So I can imagine people 500 years from now trading stories of how they saw the Flying Spaghetti Monster or Slenderman while vacationing on Mars.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Who knows if they're really real? Do you know what I mean? People see them and sometimes groups see them too. The seeing part I'm 100% fine with; it's the 'what the heck are they' part I find most interesting.

It's like there are shapeless, formless cyphers which adapt the motley for whatever stage play is popular in whatever particular place they happen to 'exist' in at that moment. Picture kids with a massive dressing up box and a sense of humour that ranges from joyous to cruel.

Or there's nothing but misfiring synapses and weakness in our understanding of reality.

Gnashing teeth.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   

In Islam, virtually all of these things would be considered jinn/djinn. Different Islamic cultures have different interpretations and legends of them, but typically they're described as shape shifters with no physical form (though they can be good or bad). Some stories say they can shape shift into animals, while others describe them as evil spirits/ghosts/spectres that take on other forms to deceive humans.

So in that sense, I believe people are definitely seeing something. There are simply too many people from all over the world who've seen stuff to assume they're all crazy or intoxicated. And even if they're not jinn, no religion describes all lifeforms nor all aspects of reality. So I simply assume that there will always be creatures out there that we simply don't understand yet.

For example, gorillas were considered a mythical creature until science got samples and classified them. And to this day I believe that Giant Oarfish were the inspiration for many Eastern Asian dragon legends. So I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that there were previously unknown mammals in Iceland like large Lemurs or single colored raccoons. Then again, I also wouldn't be too surprised if we found out that some alien species had come to Earth a long time ago & these "elves" were their descendants.

new topics

top topics

join