It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The entire Seattle Seahawks team will protest the national anthem at opening game

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: nobunaga

They are sooooo oppressed with their millions of dollars and black president.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Why don't they protest the fact 6% of the country is committing over half the violent crime.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

As NFL players, they're federal employees, right? Who says they have freedom of speech when they are on the clock carrying out their duties?

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I fail to understand why this is newsworthy. A example of someone not prostrating over yet another craptacular anthem rendition is an earth-shattering deal, versus the bazillion other TANGIBLE problems in need of fixing this country has?

You all are getting your knickers in a twist over nothing that seriously impacts your lives in any meaningful, rights reducing manner.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nucleardoom

originally posted by: introvert

Exercising one's right to free speech, a right granted to us by the document that helped found this very nation, is not disrespectful to the nation itself.

Not standing in respect of the thousands who gave their lives to protect that right to free speech among many others IS disrespectful.

He can sit all he wants, it's just practice for him anyways since he'll be riding the pine this year.
I agree with you. That's the 1st thing I thought of. It's SO disrespectful to our troops, that are giving their lives FOR US!

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: TheBulk

Yes they can, players got denied the ability to wear BLM shirts as well because of uniform code.
But hey you all didn't complain about that!

Do you have the ability to make any kind of political statement you want at your job?

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

Except for certain ones, the national anthem is generally not televised. Next.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut
a reply to: Nucleardoom

the soldiers fought and continue to fight for his right to sit. the right to question our government is in itself an act of patriotism, this is not nazi germany we do not have to be blindly patriotic.

Except the specific beef is with police who are not a part of the federal government ... yet.

They are a local system without exception. The flag that should be protested is the city flag.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Yep.

...and you know what? I wouldn't have it any other way.

I could wish it were a different team, but oh, well...

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I don't expect financial insight from the chef of my favorite restaurant.

I don't look to my football team for insight in nationalistic pride.

I pay money so they'll make the food, entertain me on the gridiron.

Just do your job.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   

WOW !!!

Another reason not to watch one of their games.

Yea; just like I really needed a reason in the first place.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: smurfy

Um, that is not true.

Even when there was slavery in the nation, there were always some free blacks ... even in the South. Some very few of those free blacks were slave owners themselves.

I was talking about what was the Official stance of America at the time before the emancipation which was years after the original poem was written, so I'm sure that there were free Africans around by some arrangement or the other, nothing is black or white in that respect. As for the time the poem was written in 1812, the British ships in that attack was full of ex-slaves, and I think a considerable number were also American ex-slaves.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Maybe this will create a competition within the game. Who stands, who sits. Vegas could create odds and take bets.

-number of players
-whole team(s)
-by playing position
-visitor/home team

to list a few

Opens a whole new betting arena. It's all about money so come on Vegas. Do your thing.

edit:

Fantasy Anthem leagues can be formed.
edit on 9/9/2016 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Do you have to sing the anthem at yours?

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Americans, NFL athletes or not have this little thing called the Constitution backing them up... If people choose to protest the national anthem by sitting, they are well within their rights to do so. Debating weather they should or should not be doing it is pointless. And to suggest that it be stopped for any reason opposes the founding principles of what makes America, America.

edit on 9-9-2016 by AnonyMason because: sp

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Just more immature people jumping on the pseudo-rebellious bandwagon. They aren't protesting anything worthwhile, they are just succumbing to the pressure of the collective consciousness.

What's the purpose? America is lost in the dark.. New Atlantis was twisted.

I don't think this is "protesting the police state", I think it's turning a police state violence issue into an issue of division and identity politics. The problem with police isn't a racial issue, it transcends race. More whites are shot by police and police are more hesitant to shoot blacks than other races.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: AnonyMason

I also don't recall anyone burning Ray Rice jersey's do you?

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Or Ben Roethlisberger settling a couple rape cases out of court....

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I also don't recall anyone burning Ray Rice jersey's do you?

whoops

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: stinkelbaum

The point remains the same... Beating up a woman is a lot more anger worthy than exercising a basic right legally supported by our Constitution.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join