It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The entire Seattle Seahawks team will protest the national anthem at opening game

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: intrepid

Did you know that Kaepernick has a garage full of pairs of shoes?

What's in your garage?

Does it's content invalidate your right to free speech, or are you just making a very irrelevant point?

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Did you know he was adopted as a baby by a white couple? What's your point?

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Well it appears they'll be sitting this one out couch.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Nucleardoom

It is horribly disrespectful to the lives lost in defense of what our this nation's flag stands for, and a slap in the face of their families. It is also wearing thin the woefully slim thread that unites us as a nation and world power.

I personally am sickened by it and truly fear for future generations of those of us who have always, and will forever, look upon that flag with pride and thanks for the blessing of having been born under its protection.

I think it would be ridiculous not to continue playing it before the games...next there will be protests and demands that we don't even carry our nation's flag in the Olympics! I can easily envision that in view of what so-called big named "stars" tout as their "right", knowing there are those out there who will pick up on it and twist it to meet their own agenda to gain followers/supporters for agendas I'd bet less than half of whom even know what it's about! They just want their faces out there so others might "think" they actually stand for something! Let them sit on their lousy butts...it easily identifies them for what they are.

So, YES, I'd vote to continue playing it for those of us who will stand, and DO care for and respect the flag that readily identifies and represents who, and what we are and stand for. Moreover, those who do stand make it clear to those who don't that RESPECT isn't dead everywhere. I've said many, many times that we, as a nation, aren't perfect, but as long as we continue to work together toward that end then all is not lost.
edit on 8-9-2016 by Rubicon3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Maybe it's just me, but I'm still trying to figure out why they even play the national anthem at games?

Is there confusion as to the location of the game?

Sports has far to much significance for what it is worth.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

Did you know he was adopted as a baby by a white couple? What's your point?

Yes, actually I did, and I find that also to be high irony.

I, who have never been oppressed in my life, am expressing my solidarity with people whose lives I can't know much of anything about because I have never lived anything like them by sitting on my butt ... But I am pretty sure I feel their pain and know it because my skin is like theirs ...

But as to the shoes, my point is that the amount of money that he spent on those shoes would be a far more effective means of effecting change to those he claims to want to help then him sitting on his butt. His personal outreach and mentoring of young men who never knew a father ... unlike him ... would be a far more effective means of effecting change.

But nope, he's going to sit on his butt to tell the rest of the world its everyone else's problem and all he'll do is point at it and accuse.

And, to be clear, I'm not even saying he shouldn't be a shoe collector, but I'm sure he could easily collect shoes and donate a matching sum to help out his oppressed brothers in the hood.

Maybe he does ... and I have also stated in a prior thread that if he does, I'll eat my words. But it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's just another limousine activist.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
The only reason that I would support unpopular protest would be so that when I protest something Hillary Clinton does as president, she and her brown shirts don't kill me.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   

You never answer a question. Are you equating all "protesters"?

I answered it in spectacular form. I know you didn't bother to play the video, but did you even bother to read my post?

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420
Maybe it's just me, but I'm still trying to figure out why they even play the national anthem at games?

Is there confusion as to the location of the game?

Well, you have Canadian teams in the NHL, NBA and MLB.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   

It's a universal thing in sports, being an international thing. Hockey does it. Etc.
edit on 8-9-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   

And everybody that attends should have a pretty good idea where they are...at least before the game starts!

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

You never answer a question. Are you equating all "protesters"?

I answered it in spectacular form. I know you didn't bother to play the video, but did you even bother to read my post?

Oh I read it, I couldn't believe it. You seem to have the same opinion as Trump(on this protest). He basically said it's disgusting and if they don't want to sit down and shut up, find another country. Is that about right?

ETA: It's the only logical conclusion for equating a violent protest with a civil one.
edit on 8-9-2016 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
It's good to see the NFL support free expression.

Except. . .

The Dallas Cowboys weren't allowed to have visible display of support for thee Dallas police killed by someone.

So yay for free expression, but boo for the inconsistent support.

So they did the same thing they did when players were wearing BLM shirts, they said it broke uniform code.
What is inconsistent about it?

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Honestly, I used to care about these things but over time I've realized the flag is just a logo for a corporation that tries to get me to buy their inferior product. They keep telling me how good their widget is, but after buying it several times and having seen its quality first hand, I realize the product they're selling is crap.

And this military served and died for my freedom stuff. Get real, this country is garbage and getting worse every day and the military has not lifted a finger except to protect those who seized my assets and sold our country's uranium to Russia.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   

And everybody that attends should have a pretty good idea where they are...at least before the game starts!

Bwahahahaha. Are you sure you're not Canadian?
It probably comes from international competitions and it got carried over.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: nobunaga

Let them sit.

Let everyone who wants to sit, sit!

I'll still stand.

i agree

I'll stand with you two. And I will never support the Seahawks again.
See I have the right of free speech too and I just used it.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Oh I read it, I couldn't believe it. You seem to have the same opinion as Trump(on this protest). He basically said it's disgusting and if they don't want to sit down and shut up, find another country. Is that about right?

You're not even from here. You're not offering anything productive to the situation that I've noted. You're effectively refusing to view anything that might give you a deeper perspective. While labeling me (a US citizen with deep understandings of these matters), insinuiating I'm some ignoramus partisan hack. Why should anybody listen to anything you say on this subject?
edit on 8-9-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

Obama even said that "this is how democracy works, sometimes it gets messy, but it's his 1st amendment right" something to that effect

People get outraged but then are clueless about what's going on with the Dakota Pipeline. I know it's about the "principle" but there ARE other issues going on other than people not standing for the National Anthem. And it IS their right to do so.

Actual illegal and corrupt things are going on such as corporations violating treaties the US Government made with Natives (while still raping their lands and resources), but how much do we hear about that in the MSM? And how much have we heard about Kaepernick? #ing pathetic

I have sympathy with that, Kaepernick's issue is about the treatment of people with colour...his words back a while. I'm not so sure though that his stance is anti-American, but a desire for the values of the words of the anthem like, "O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave? " that part having the question mark, elsewhere written, "O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!" to be real today, as it should be, even though it was surely not the case in part, when those words were written. What do you think?

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

And the personal attack, right on time. The admission of a failed argument.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

Exercising one's right to free speech, a right granted to us by the document that helped found this very nation, is not disrespectful to the nation itself.

Of course it is disrespectful to our nation.

It is completely possible to have free speech without disrespecting our National Anthem. I plan to boycott these morons and their entire franchise.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join