It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The entire Seattle Seahawks team will protest the national anthem at opening game

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: stinkelbaum

Noted and thanks. My point still stands just not regarding Rice, celebrities in general get a public pass for a lot of terrible things but hammered if it's political expression.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Talk about being a day late and a dollar short. I'll leave this gem for some folks to chew over.

Ben Swan on the National Anthem

And here is Shannon Sharpe's take on it.

Shannon Sharpe Gives Passionate Explanation On Why Colin Kaepernick’s Protest Means So Much
edit on 9-9-2016 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

And that has what to do with this type of protest? NOTHING! Nice attempt at deflection and discrediting though.

What type of protest is it really ? And what in the world possible outcomes does it have, other than people thinking he is a washed up overpaid loser who now wants to pretend he sees something wrong in his country, so he protests a tradition that has ZERO to do with whatever he is thinking.

Low class, and unintelligent.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Maybe this has been mentioned, maybe not.

But Sunday is 9/11.

I seem to recall that people of all races were on the planes and in the towers and in the police and firefighters who were on the ground racing to the scene and into those buildings.

I don't recall that anyone was asked to wait until other races were saved first and I don't recall that anyone only tried to save or be saved by people of specific races that day. I also don't recall that the nation mourned by ethnicity. We mourned our own and we mourned our first responders - police, firefighters, and paramedics - without reserve or exception.

It was a time of as close to unity as I've ever experienced. Sunday we remember that, and Sunday the Seahawks want to protest that.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Maybe this has been mentioned, maybe not.

But Sunday is 9/11.

I seem to recall that people of all races were on the planes and in the towers and in the police and firefighters who were on the ground racing to the scene and into those buildings.

I don't recall that anyone was asked to wait until other races were saved first and I don't recall that anyone only tried to save or be saved by people of specific races that day. I also don't recall that the nation mourned by ethnicity. We mourned our own and we mourned our first responders - police, firefighters, and paramedics - without reserve or exception.

It was a time of as close to unity as I've ever experienced. Sunday we remember that, and Sunday the Seahawks want to protest that.

So? After 15 years, it's finally turning into just another day, like D Day, which is damn nice after 15 years of relentless nationalism propaganda. The days of stupid s# like "Freedom Fries" are behind us. It's a hint to get with it and move on. Quit milking it.
If a bunch of, what are they, football players want to protest during their next game, so fricking be it. People also work on Sundays, consistently. I'm sure it pisses off the religious fundies as much as a single protest would piss off patriotic fundies.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

This protest isn't about being against America or all of the police, you all are the ones making it that way.

Are they not allowed to protest actions they don't agree with?

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   
As someone else mentioned, not standing doesn't really accomplish anything for the stated cause. Really doubt there is anyone not aware of the facts and will be awakened by this action.
edit on 9/9/2016 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Nothing is accomplished? Have to disagree there.

Almost ten pages of conversation about it. Fan forums in Seattle, and I'm sure elsewhere, are talking about it.

The issue is being discussed, argued, and written about. Who knows what may, or as is likely, may not...much too early to tell.

Sports have lead the way is social change for years. They've also pointed out where things haven't progressed, as well.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

This protest isn't about being against America or all of the police, you all are the ones making it that way.

Again, I have to ask ... are you allowed to protest things while you are on the clock?

I am a bit upset with the NFL. They will allow this, on the one day they shouldn't, but they wouldn't let the Cowboys commemorate the slain officers in Dallas with helmet stickers? I guess dissent is only allowed and "patriotic" when it serves the left's purpose.

And the flag itself is a symbol of all of America. So they are protesting all of America when they protest it.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   

I am a bit upset with the NFL. They will allow this, on the one day they shouldn't, but they wouldn't let the Cowboys commemorate the slain officers in Dallas with helmet stickers? I guess dissent is only allowed and "patriotic" when it serves the left's purpose.

You and the others that have brought this up have ignored that they also told players they couldn't go against uniform code for BLM either, so you all might want to hold the outrage.

You can protest on the clock as long as you don't break any agreement, they don't require any player to stand so yes they are able too.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Almost ten pages of conversation about it. Fan forums in Seattle, and I'm sure elsewhere, are talking about it.

The conversation is about the protest, not what the protest is about.

By next year the NFL will make it mandatory to stand.
edit on 9-9-2016 by anton74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Just because one exercises those rights, it doesn't mean he isn't being a disrespectful dillhole. Let him sit, and let me call him out on his BS.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Oh they are allowed.

Even if the actions they are against are actions that never happen and are driven by shallow group-think hyperbole.

People don't have to respect people who are standing up (ironic) for nothing.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

People have been talking about a lot, for quite a while. Still no change...

Let's talk more.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Once upon a time, the Constitution was only talk. The Magna Carta was once only talk.

Change starts, but only starts, with talk. Actions must follow. But without talk? Actions are just so much useless flailing.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: anton74

Most of it is about the protest itself, yes.

But not all of it, not by a long stretch. ...and who cares whether or not the NFL makes standing manditory? It'll make the head offices look even more dictatorial, and out of touch, than they do already.

My personal view is that it's not quite the right way to do it, because it's sure to anger some, rather than get them to think, which is the whole purpose behind the protest. But if it stimulates even one conversation that in turn leads to some form of positive change? Then it's worth it, every bit of it.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   

The issue is being discussed, argued, and written about. Who knows what may, or as is likely, may not...much too early to tell.

Sports have lead the way is social change for years. They've also pointed out where things haven't progressed, as well.

People are discussing everything but suppression from what i can tell. It's mostly discussion about how to protest and if this is respectful or not.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Throes

Yup. ...and sometimes the topic of why they're protesting comes up, too. Which is nothing but good, IMHO.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   

a reply to: Throes

Yup. ...and sometimes the topic of why they're protesting comes up, too. Which is nothing but good, IMHO.

Yea I suppose it's beneficial in some ways.

Perhaps people will be inspired to look into the figures and dig deep into the issue and realize that no sinificant amount of institutionalized racism is being applied by the police.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: DeadFoot

Or they may think otherwise, and start to actually help oversee our institutions, not just the police, but any where corruption can take root...

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join