It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oz UFO magazines (PDFs) : Batch 1 : ACOS Bulletin, ACUFOS Journal, UFORAN + more

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Several leading Australian researchers have now very kindly given me permission to arrange for various UFO magazines/newsletters to be made freely available online.

This thread gives details of, and links to, the first batch of material : associated with Australian UFO researchers Keith Basterfield and Harry Griesberg.

Once again, most of the scanning has been done by our friends in Sweden at the AFU. Further credits in relation to relevant scans are given below. (I did consider a title for this thread along the lines of “Swedish invasion of Australia : Phase 1”, but that would not really reflect the spirit of this little Swedish-Australian-Anglo-American collective project...).

Keith Basterfield has also been patiently providing me with information during the last month for information about various other Australian publications – see the Postscript below. Further material – including periodicals associated with Bill Chalker and, assuming I obtain relevant permissions, also some other Australian researchers - should be online in a second batch in the near future.

(One of the aims of posting this thread now is to help obtain those further permissions by demonstrating to a few Australian researchers that such scanning is not some pie-in-the-sky dream but something that is underway and in relation to which I’d like to sort out a second batch of Australian periodicals within the next few weeks...).

Harry Griesberg (together with David Seargent) established the “Australian Co-ordination Section” (“ACOS”) of Dr J Allen Hynek’s “Center for UFO Studies” (“CUFOS”) in 1974. ACOS subsequently became the “Australian Centre for UFO Studies” (“ACUFOS”) in about 1980. Harry Griesberg has edited several UFO magazines over the years, particularly the ACOS Bulletin, the ACUFOS Journal and the ACUFOS Research Digest.

When I contacted Harry Griesberg about a month ago, he promptly indicated that he had “absolutely no objection” to the scanning of any of his publications. Most of the ACOS Bulletin, the ACUFOS Journal have now been scanned – see below.

Keith Basterfield is one of the best known Australian UFO researchers. He’s been around for a while, having been engaged in UFO research since 1968 (including being associated with MUFON and APRO). Keith posts quite a bit of information on his blog : Unidentified Aerial Phenomena - scientific research. His work was very helpful to me when I was researching a few threads I’ve posted on ATS about Australian government documents regarding UFOs – e.g. Oz X-Files : “authenticated sighting”, “appear to be inexplicable”, USA “very interested".

Below are details of scans of:

Item 1. ACOS Bulletin (1974-1979)

Item 2. Journal of the Australian Centre for UFO Studies (“ACUFOS Journal”, 1980-1985)

Item 3. UFO Research Australia Newsletter (“UFORAN”, 1980-1991)

Item 4. Newsletter of the Australian UFO Abduction Study Centre and “Recollections”

Postscript – Preliminary listing by Keith Basterfield of Australian periodicals

edit on 8-9-2016 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   

As mentioned above, Harry Griesberg (together with David Seargent) established the “Australian Co-ordination Section” (“ACOS”) of Dr J Allen Hynek’s “Center for UFO Studies” (“CUFOS”) in 1974. ACOS subsequently became the “Australian Centre for UFO Studies” (“ACUFOS”) in about 1980.

ACOS published a Bulletin from 1974 to 1979, which featured articles by various researchers that will be well known to followers of Australian ufology - such as Keith Basterfield, John Prytz, Mark Moravec, Bill Chalker and Moira McGhee (in addition to material by Harry Griesberg and David Seargent themselves).

Veteran Australian ufologist Bill Chalker has written in his article entitled “The National Spotlight on UFOs” that:

ACOS organised regular conferences, the first in 1975, from which a real sense of co-operation emerged between most of the state civilian groups and individual researchers. oth as ACOS and as the Australian Centre for UFO Studies (ACUFOS) from 1980, it was a focus of major projects and documentation programmes.

Harry Griesberg has given permission for me to make the ACOS Bulletin freely available online.

Keith Basterfield has provided me with scans of most issues. (I have asked a few UFO groups and researchers about the missing initial two issues, but so far have not been supplied with scans of them. I will upload those issues as well once I get hold of them).

The relevant full current collection can be downloaded from this temporary link during the next few days:
we.tl...

After this week, or if you only want part of the relevant collection, all of the issues listed below are on the AFU's website at:
www.afu.se...

ACOS Bulletin - Number 1 (****CURRENTLY MISSING****)
ACOS Bulletin - Number 2 (****CURRENTLY MISSING****)
ACOS Bulletin - Number 3 (Scan provided by Keith Basterfield)
ACOS Bulletin - Number 4 (Scan provided by Keith Basterfield)
ACOS Bulletin - Number 5 (Scan provided by Keith Basterfield)
ACOS Bulletin - Number 6 (Scan provided by Keith Basterfield)
ACOS Bulletin - Number 7 (Scan provided by Keith Basterfield)
ACOS Bulletin - Number 8 (Scan provided by Keith Basterfield)
ACOS Bulletin - Number 9 (Scan provided by Keith Basterfield)
ACOS Bulletin - Number 10 (Scan provided by Keith Basterfield)
ACOS Bulletin - Number 11 (Scan provided by Keith Basterfield)
ACOS Bulletin - Number 12 (Scan provided by Keith Basterfield)
ACOS Bulletin - Number 13 (Scan provided by Keith Basterfield)
ACOS Bulletin - Number 14 (Scan provided by Keith Basterfield)
ACOS Bulletin - Number 15 (Scan provided by Keith Basterfield)
ACOS Bulletin - Number 16 (Scan provided by Keith Basterfield)
ACOS Bulletin - Number 17 (Scan provided by Keith Basterfield)
ACOS Bulletin - Number 18 (Scan provided by Keith Basterfield)
ACOS Bulletin - Number 19 (Scan provided by Keith Basterfield)
ACOS Bulletin - Number 20 (Scan provided by Keith Basterfield)
ACOS Bulletin - Number 21 (Scan provided by Keith Basterfield)
ACOS Bulletin - Number 22 (Scan provided by Keith Basterfield)

link   

Item 2. Journal of the Australian Centre for UFO Studies (“ACUFOS Journal”, 1980-1985)

As mentioned above, the “Australian Co-ordination Section” (“ACOS”) of Dr J Allen Hynek’s “Center for UFO Studies” (“CUFOS”) became the “Australian Centre for UFO Studies” (“ACUFOS”) in about 1980.

The Journal of the “Australian Centre for UFO Studies” (ACUFOS) was published from 1980 to 1985. It was originally edited by Harry Griesberg, then jointly by Harry Griesberg and Keith Basterfield and then by others (including John Gillespie).

Another veteran Australian UFO researcher, Bill Chalker, has commented on his blog that ACUFOS “at least until the mid eighties was a strong force for a national focus on UFO research”.

The ACUFOS Journal included some UFO reports from around Australia, but most articles were about specific issues (e.g. various theories regarding UFOS, statistical analysis of UFO reports, radar cases, sociological issues, Australian government involvement in the UFO controversy, and many other topics).

An editorial by Keith Basterfield in the first issue of the UFO Research Australia newsletter (discussed below) stated that the ACUFOS Journal was intended to “concentrate on more in depth scientific style researched articles which may not appeal to the general reader of the subject”.

ACUFOS no longer exists (effectively having become defunct in the second half of the 1980s).

Harry Griesberg and Keith Basterfield have both given me their permission for the ACUFOS Journal to be uploaded. Issues of this publication also contained a statement that allowed reproduction without the prior written consent of ACUFOS “by UFO organisations”. So, I have arranged for a collection of this Journal to be scanned and uploaded to the website of the AFU.

The relevant full current collection can be downloaded from this temporary link during the next few days:
we.tl...

After this week, or if you only want part of the relevant collection, all of the issues listed below are on the AFU's website at:
www.afu.se...

Journal of the ACUFOS vol 1 no 1 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 1 no 2 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 1 no 3 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 1 no 4 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 1 no 5 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 1 no 6 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 2 no 1 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 2 no 2 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 2 no 3 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 2 no 4 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 2 no 5 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 2 no 6 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 3 no 1 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 3 no 2 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 3 no 3 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 3 no 4 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 3 no 5 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 3 no 6 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 4 no 1 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 4 no 2 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 4 no 3 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 4 no 4 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 4 no 5 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 4 no 6 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 5 no 1 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 5 no 2 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 5 no 3 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 5 no 4 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 5 no 5 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 5 no 6 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 6 no 1 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 6 no 2 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 6 no 3 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 6 no 4 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 6 no 5 (Scanned by AFU)
Journal of the ACUFOS vol 6 no 6 (Scanned by AFU)

link   

Item 3. UFO Research Australia Newsletter (“UFORAN”, 1980-1991)

As mentioned above, Keith Basterfield co-founded the UFO Research Australia (with Vladimir Godic - now deceased).

An editorial by Keith Basterfield in the first issue of the UFO Research Australia newsletter stated that this newsletter was intended to “a vehicle for the publication of more popular articles, newsclips, reference services, reports etc by Austrlian organisation” with the journal of ACUFOS (discussed above) concentrating “on more in depth scientific style researched articles which may not appeal to the general reader of the subject”.

The UFO Research Australia Newsletter published articles from many of the same people as those listed above in relation to the ACUFOS Journal.

Veteran Australian ufologist Bill Chalker has written in his article entitled “The National Spotlight on UFOs” that:

In 1980 a number of the state groups joined forces with the cooperative publishing venture UFO Research Australian Newsletter (UFORAN) edited by South Australian research group veteran Vladimir Godic. It became a focus for cooperative activity often with a national focus.

Keith Basterfield has kindly given me his permission for the UFORA Newsletter to be made freely available online. Issues of this publication also contained a statement that allowed reproduction without the prior written consent of the publisher “by UFO groups”. So, I have arranged for a collection of this Journal to be scanned and uploaded to the website of the AFU. Barry Greenwood in the USA helpfully filled in a gap in the AFU’s collection.

we.tl...

www.afu.se...

UFO Research Australia newsletter vol 1 no 1 (SCANNED BY AFU)
UFO Research Australia newsletter vol 1 no 2 (SCANNED BY AFU)
UFO Research Australia newsletter vol 2 no 1 (SCANNED BY AFU)
UFO Research Australia newsletter vol 2 no 2 (SCANNED BY AFU)
UFO Research Australia newsletter vol 2 no 3 (SCANNED BY AFU)
UFO Research Australia newsletter vol 2 no 4 (SCANNED BY AFU)
UFO Research Australia newsletter vol 2 no 5 (SCANNED BY AFU)
UFO Research Australia newsletter vol 2 no 6 (SCANNED BY AFU)
UFO Research Australia newsletter vol 3 no 1 (SCANNED BY AFU)
UFO Research Australia newsletter vol 3 no 2 (SCANNED BY AFU)
UFO Research Australia newsletter vol 3 no 3 (SCANNED BY AFU)
UFO Research Australia newsletter vol 3 no 4 (SCANNED BY AFU)
UFO Research Australia newsletter vol 3 no 5 (SCANNED BY AFU)
UFO Research Australia newsletter vol 4 no 1 (SCANNED BY AFU)
UFO Research Australia newsletter vol 4 no 2 (SCANNED BY AFU)
UFO Research Australia newsletter vol 4 no 3 (SCANNED BY AFU)
UFO Research Australia newsletter vol 5 no 1 (SCANNED BY AFU)
UFO Research Australia newsletter vol 5 no 2 (SCANNED BY AFU)
UFO Research Australia newsletter vol 5 no 3 (SCANNED BY AFU)
UFO Research Australia newsletter vol 5 no 4 (SCANNED BY AFU)
UFO Research Australia newsletter vol 5 no 5 (SCANNED BY AFU)
UFO Research Australia newsletter vol 6 no 1 (SCANNED BY AFU)
UFO Research Australia newsletter vol 7 no 1 (SCANNED BY AFU)
UFO Research Australia Newsletter vol 8 no 1 (SCANNED BY BARRY GREENWOOD)
UFO Research Australia Dec 1987 Kempsey (SCANNED BY AFU)
UFO Research Australia Jan 1988 Mundrabilla (SCANNED BY AFU)

link   

Item 4. Newsletter of the Australian UFO Abduction Study Centre and “Recollections”

Keith Basterfield also established and ran the Australian UFO Abduction Study Centre. Keith has kindly permission me to permission to upload the Newsletter of the Australian UFO Abduction Study Centre and its continuation “Recollections”.

Unfortunately, so far I have only obtained two issues of the initial Newsletter. (This was a low-circulation publications, so the earlier issues may be difficult to track down…). Both of the current scanned issued can be downloaded from this temporary link during the next few days:
we.tl...

After this week, or if you only want one issue, the two issues listed below are on the AFU's website at:
www.afu.se...

Newsletter of the Australian UFO Abduction Study Centre vol 2 no 2 (SCANNED BY AFU)
Newsletter of the Australian UFO Abduction Study Centre vol 2 no 3 (SCANNED BY AFU)

This publication continued as "Recollections"

The following 4 issues of Recollections have been scanned:

Recollections (Australia)Recollections vol 3 no 1 (SCANNED BY AFU)
Recollections (Australia)Recollections vol 3 no 2 (SCANNED BY AFU)
Recollections (Australia)Recollections vol 3 no 3 (SCANNED BY AFU)
Recollections (Australia)Recollections vol 3 no 4 (SCANNED BY AFU)

we.tl...

www.afu.se...

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Postscript – Preliminary listing by Keith Basterfield of Australian periodicals

As part of the current work to get various Australian UFO journals online, Keith Basterfield helpfully produced a preliminary listing of Australian UFO periodicals. I am using this list as a working document when seeking to contact relevant individuals to obtain permissions to upload various periodicals.

Keith is happy for this preliminary listing to be shared openly, so I have uploaded the current version to THIS GOOGLE SHEETS LINK, from which it can be downloaded in various formats.

I have already received permissions in relation to some further Australian publications (including from Bill Chalker). Batch 2 of Australian UFO periodicals should therefore, with a bit of luck, be online in a few weeks.

As always, I hope that posting the current thread may help prompt some more UFO researchers / groups to give permissions to upload other defunct UFO periodicals. We’ll see…

edit on 8-9-2016 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: IsaacKoi

ACOS Bulletin - Number 1 (****CURRENTLY MISSING****)
ACOS Bulletin - Number 2 (****CURRENTLY MISSING****)

Harry Griesberg has now kindly supplied the missing first 2 issues of the ACOS Bulletin. Harry has also provided a copy of the Constitution for ACOS.

I've uploaded searchable versions of these 3 items to the ACOS Bulletin directory on the AFU's website:
www.afu.se...

I think this completes that collection.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Bonzer!

Thanks again Isaac.

Out of interest do you have a particular favourite UFO case from Down Under?

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Thank you for your awesome work, yet again, Isaac.

This will take some time to look through, but you always give us the best of the best, so I'm anxious to have a good look when time allows.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: mirageman
Out of interest do you have a particular favourite UFO case from Down Under?

Mmm. Out of the well known cases, it would have to be the Valentich disappearance. Tales of UFOs, pilots, lobsters, drugs and audio recordings.

Less well known, the Maureen Puddy case is interesting as well.
edit on 9-9-2016 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join