It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Floods Ravaging Guyana, South America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
You probably haven't heard of this, you probably haven't even heard of Guyana before. But this tiny english speaking country in South America, former British colony, is currently a flood ravaged land. The land of many waters as it is known is living up to it's name as floods displace thousand and makes life harder for the people living there. It is being reported by locals, that this rainy season is witness to the heaviest rains in over a century.

Overseas help to boost flood relief

BRAZIL last night flew in some 16 tonnes of food in response to the Guyana Government’s appeal for help as officials moved to shore up emergency relief for thousands of flood victims.

Several Cabinet ministers yesterday led teams that delivered food and other supplies to badly-hit communities after residents turned up at President Bharrat Jagdeo’s official State House residence urging him to get help to them.

Crowds turned up at the Civil Defence Commission (CDC) base in Thomas Lands, Georgetown for food boxes and large groups scrambled around vehicles distributing foodstuff in several communities yesterday.
Guyana on Wednesday appealed to the donor community for boats, canned food and inflatable dinghies as the government intensified a relief programme for the thousands hit by floods spawned by the heaviest rains in more than a century.

MORE SHELTERS OPENED
The rains eased yesterday but while several streets in the city were dry, many places in the capital and along the East Coast Demerara and on the West Demerara remained under water, chest-high in many communities.

Flood Pictures

Additional links:
Floods paralyse life in Guyana's capital, coastal towns

Flood aid pours in; many residents still in need of help

If you didn't know yet, I am originally from Guyana. I have many relatives still in the country and many have been displaced from their homes. One cousin, that I just got off the phone with, described thigh high water in her home, almost everything has been destroyed. Another cousin, complained that about the food shortage, due to stores and markets being flooded out. My heart goes out to my people and I pray the water recedes before more rain comes.

[edit on 1-21-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
The only good news is that so far only 2 deaths have been blamed on the floods.
Child drowns in floodwater

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
"The rainfall so far is 37 inches for 2005 and and rain is expected to continue for the next several days. The avearged rain fall for JANUARY is 6 inches."

that's from a friend over there

Also alot of the people there have outdoor latrines and because of the floods, the latrines are overflowing. They have to worry about waterborne diseases now.

This came from an email subscription

The normal average rainfall in January is 7.3 inches, but the Met Office report shows that rainfall from January 1 to 16 exceeded 23 inches, according to GINA reports.

"We have three times the amount of rainfall and we are only half-way through the month. Since 1880, Guyana has never seen such rainfall!" exclaimed the President.

either way the numbers and sheer volume of rainfall is bad for the place, plus the country is below sea level anyways

this picture says alot, imagine walking thru that to get what you need and you have to look out for crocodiles, snakes and god knows what else.
www.bryanmaxx.netfirms.com...

[edit on 1-21-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
My parents are from this country, and my dad's mom called the other night to tell us of this. Even though they live in Toronto, they are in constant reach with family down there.

I don't know anyone down there, but apparently my parents still have cousins and such down there. It's heartbreaking when something so horrible hits close to home.

Since 2005 started, worldwide weather has been a big news story, it's crazy...

If I hear anything else from parents, I'll post...

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

LL1

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Worldwatcher thank you for the information.

I had gone to college with a wonderful person that was from
Guyana, when I saw your thread I just had to gv her a call.
She wasn't home, but if I should receive any updates I will post them.
Their crops have been lost more than likely, and fresh clean water is
more than likely scarce. Sad...
Thanks again!

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I am currently living in Guyana. I live in Lusignan East Coast Demerara one of the hardest hit villages in the Country. When I decided to leave my home on Sunday January 24, 2005 the water was 4 feet and rising. So far up to today January 27 2005 the rainfall was approx 39 inches for the month. In January the average rainfall expected is 7.9 inches.

The flood is also accumlation of water from the backlands. The East Demerara conservancy was overtopping and the water is accumlating in villages along the coast. So far the Government is doing everthing it could to bring the flood waters down. Yesterday the water receded about 1 1/2 feet in most areas. Last night and today it rained again so the flood waters is expected to rise.

The floodwater is stink with sewage, rotting animals, garbage etc. We have to hire boats to take us where we are. A lot of the little children are getting sick with fever and vomiting. Luckily not much diarrhoea so far. The Ministry of Health and the Red Cross have medical teams along the coast.

I am anxious for this water to go away.

marie ramjoo

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
welcome to ATS Marie, my grandmother's sister lives in the big house right before the turn in Enmore, she describe exactly what you did. She has been confined to the upstairs of the house for a while now. Glad to see that things are looking better. Hopefully you guys will get all the aid you need. I know many Guyanese organizations here in the US are sending money and supplies.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Sad to report that waterborne disease is the new threat to Guyana while Flooding continues to ravage Guyana's neighbor Venezuela.

Floods in Venezuela and Colombia Leave at Least 83 Dead, Uncertainty for Families of the Missing

and in Guyana
Georgetown Hospital still seeing suspected 'lepto' cases

Despite no new death as a result of the deadly leptospirosis disease numerous persons showing some of the symptoms continue to turn up at the Georgetown Hospital.

Twenty persons are thought to have died from the water-borne disease which affects animals and humans.

Speaking to Stabroek News yesterday Chief Execu-tive Officer of the GHPC, Michael Khan said the death toll remains the same but around ten persons displaying some of the symptoms of the disease turned up at the hospital.

Khan said some of these persons were admitted while the others were treated and sent away.

With respect to other flood-related diseases such as dengue fever, typhoid and gastroenteritis, Khan said there has not been any such case at the hospital for the past 24 hours. He said staff continue to monitor and treat patients whether they show all of the symptoms or just a few. During a visit to the hospital yesterday scores had taken their seats in the waiting area of the Accident and Emer-gency Unit. Adults with strained faces and children crying made for a very sombre atmosphere.

Since the flooding there have been 20 suspected leptospirosis deaths and three from gastroenteritis. Some cases of dengue and typhoid have also been reported.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Sincerely hoping that the rains stop soon and ease the pressure on the sea wall and flood dams. Having been a guest in a Camp Street house in Georgetown, and familiar with the wonderful sites and lush jungles, I wonder also how the Amerindians and the forests are holding up?

Anyone know?

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
actually since I haven't heard any news, I am hoping no news is good news. The worst of the flooding seems to be along East Coast Demerara near the areas of the seawall. I'll check around though, see if there's been any news

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Decided to post here instead of making a new thread

Repairs on Guyana Seawall Begin After Damaging High Tides Leave 100 Homeless

GEORGETOWN, Guyana (AP) - Bulldozers began repairing Guyana's seawall on Tuesday, after a section collapsed under high tides and about 100 people were left homeless along the flooded coast.

About 2,000 feet (610 meters) of the 6-foot (1.8-meter) concrete seawall that protects the capital, Georgetown, from high tides caved in on Sunday and Monday.

No deaths or injuries were reported, but dozens of homes were destroyed and squatters and coastal inhabitants sought refuge in government shelters.

About 90 percent of the South American country's 750,000 people live along the coast, which is 6 feet (1.8 meters) below sea level and is protected by an elaborate system of drains and flood control gates.

In regards to the flooding earlier this year, if you read the entire article, it states that 35 people died, mostly from water borne diseases.

top topics

join