It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

had 500k in gold bricks in my hand today

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
and i didnt even know it.
did you know they can ship that # UPS?
i would not have thought that.

so the guy that runs the machine shop where i work had a package sent care of him to my company today. he told everyone he had a package coming and nobody was to touch it. nobody was to sign for it. nothing.
well of course he was not in his office when it came so the shipping manager signed for it and it was 41lbs so i toted it to the office for her.
not 2 minutes went by and he flew into the office and scooped it up while on the phone. apparently the mint(it was in MA) called him and told him someone besides him signed for his package so he was johnny on the spot scooping it up.

we saw that it was from a mint so i thought it was coins or something.

i left and he and her talked and turns out it was 41lbs of mini gold bricks. he apparently thinks the market is going to crash and currency will lose its value so he is buying all the gold and silver he can.

im still shocked they send that ups and that i had it in my hand. crazy.
it was no bigger than a shoe box. packaged up very nice. sturdy box. a gang of tape. all kinds of tracking # on it but yeah.......500k in gold.

damn

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   
i just checked a website and it says 41lbs is worth 800k so i dont know.
maybe the purity of it was not the best.
whatever.
it is tripping me out that it comes in a box on a ups truck and not via a brinks truck or something.

then dude takes it out to his car and puts it in the trunk of his lex.
500k just chilling in the trunk in the parking lot

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Ups must have some serious insurance.
Once this gets around the criminal underworld, those drivers are gonna wish they worked in McDonald's..

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I would have preferred to get something other than gold (unless it's in a fraction of an ounce for the denomination). Silver would be better since it's value is easier to barter with. Does he plan on trading one of those very expensive gold bricks for gasoline or other needed supplies?

An ounce of silver is worth like $20, much easier to work with. Just my opinion.

Why does he think the market is going to crash? Any other background info you got on why they invested a mortgage-worth of money into one huge purchase of gold?
edit on 8-9-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

right.
drivers gonna get bumped off.

i still dont get why they would ship it via ups from a mint. i could see maybe fly it out to the closest big city but then armored truck it the rest of the way...
im baffled by this

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

So did I!

But it was only one gold brick.

And it wasn't gold.

And it wasn't a brick

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

I would have preferred to get something other than gold (unless it's in a fraction of an ounce for the denomination). Silver would be better since it's value is easier to barter with. Does he plan on trading one of those very expensive gold bricks for gasoline or other needed supplies?

An ounce of silver is worth like $20, much easier to work with. Just my opinion.

Why does he think the market is going to crash? Any other background info you got on why they invested a mortgage-worth of money into one huge purchase of gold?

all i know is the dude is a dick. he is a millionare retiree that is bored. he used to work for a big airline and was chief designer/engineer on special projects. landing gear. that kind of deal.

his motives. no idea.
thats all he said.

i dont know his politics but going by age, attitude, and general dick ish attitude i would say he is a trumper so maybe he thinks # is going to crash if the ole hill meister wins.

i dont know.

maybe he read on wikihow that the best way to invest your scratch is in gold and silver.

i mean he is a smart dude i know that. he knows his #. b505 specs. chems. definitely a smart guy.

but also a mega prick

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   

That's not how it works. You don't keep $500,000 in 1 dollar or $10 bills around your house. It's an easy means of consolidating your wealth into a moveable asset which would retain some value in the face of a massive/total economic collapse. The first thing bartered would be labour...think small...

e.g. a little village, the coal maker barters with the bread maker "Ill make coal this season, if you supply bread" and then the bread maker barters a deal with the flour trader....so on and so forth. Somewhere down the line someone will need to store larger amounts of wealth, and then gold comes in.

Like it did originally, used again as real money, vs writing fancy notes on paper. In the wake of a collapse, people use the bills they're accustomed too, until massive inflation blows out its worth and people are carting around wheel barrows to buy bread. Once that happens, the reality of ...well, reality, kicks in. And they look to things with intrinsic value to represent wealth/money.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Isn't it illegal for him to posses that much gold, or did it have something to do with the physical size of the brick(IE a certain weight or smaller). I'm sure someone knows what I'm referring to.

Otherwise, I find this type of thing amusing.

I mean, granted, gold will never be worthless. However, in the interim period, between or current system crashing and the re-establishment of a new government(s) and financial structure. That gold will be effectively worthless, he literally couldn't even wipe his ass with it(which you could at least do with the junk "federal reserve" notes).

Personally, I'd find it amusing if someone wanted to trade weapons, ammo, food, or any other NECESSARY SURVIVAL supply for some shiny brick.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
Isn't it illegal for him to posses that much gold, or did it have something to do with the physical size of the brick(IE a certain weight or smaller). I'm sure someone knows what I'm referring to.

i dont know.
i suppose not cause he bought it and they shipped it.

there was a phone number and company name so we googled it and it came up a mint in MA. i just figured it was coins.

onlygold.com...

that says you can own as much as you can afford

edit on 8-9-2016 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: boncho

For a bulk purchase that does make sense. I guess I was thinking about it from my small little insignificant bubble. If I had $500K to invest, I would still want to diversify to some extent and get some Platinum, some Palladium, etc. so it wasn't all 1 kind of precious metal, but that's just me. Thanks for your comment boncho
edit on 8-9-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Sounds like he has big plans. Often times people so wrapped up in material things miss the important things in life
"can't take it to the grave, prick!" That's what I'd be thinking to myself if I saw it go down like you did, ha

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

i always thought Uup was cool.
i will have 500k in that.
might be a gram

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Sounds like he has big plans. Often times people so wrapped up in material things miss the important things in life
"can't take it to the grave, prick!" That's what I'd be thinking to myself if I saw it go down like you did, ha

he is just one of those dudes. you know.

he drinks is coffee out of glass. i was drinking some out of a foam cup one day and he had to tell me all about the chemicals in the foam and how i shouldnt do it. he very well may be right.

then he goes out to smoke a cigarette so i just chuckle.

another example of how he is a dick.
we are a pretty good size company. a lot of inter office emails about material, certs, etc goes back and forth between myself and others. he is supposed to be one of them but he does not email. does not send them and does not answer them.
does not believe in it.
he likes to use his bitch ass white board with all he picture pages cosby markers. makes everyones job harder

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   
"Famcore' is right, silver will be much easier to spend in what's left of the market place. No one will be carrying around 'change' for a $1000 gold ingot.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Shouldn't you be more concerned your boss has converted his savings into gold and is expecting a crash than the fact you can get bullion via UPS ?

Did you think they'd send via armoured truck/security ? Can you imagine the postage fees for that ? Not to mention the attention it brings, who's gonna check a heavy UPS box ?
edit on 8/9/16 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech

Shouldn't you be more concerned your boss has converted his savings into gold and is expecting a crash than the fact you can get bullion via UPS ?

Did you think they'd send via armoured truck/security ? Can you imagine the postage fees for that ? Not to mention the attention it brings, who's gonna check a heavy UPS box ?

he is not my boss and his feelings of a crash has nothing to do with me.
and i am still amazed you can send 500k via ups.

and yeah...like i said above. i figured they would do some sort of fly in transfer from the local reserve or something and then truck it in.
if you are buying a half a milli in bricks you probably can afford postage. i unno

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Lead will be the most important metal if/when TSHf. You can't eat gold and all those people who are falling for the "Buy Gold and Silver" scams are going to be sorry they didn't invest in things they'll need Now and not years down the road.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Lead will be the most important metal if/when TSHf. You can't eat gold and all those people who are falling for the "Buy Gold and Silver" scams are going to be sorry they didn't invest in things they'll need Now and not years down the road.

what am i missing?
dont think you should eat lead

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I think what he's getting at is something like this

www.youtube.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join