It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Welcome To Chicago: Cesspool Of The USA

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Well, I read about another shooting that occurred in Chicago yesterday. This involved a 71 year old man, who was just watering his lawn on a beautiful, sunny day, in what appears to be a nice neighborhood. Two teenagers on bikes rode by, then suddenly turned around to rob the old man. There's a video that captured this horrible act. So far in Chicago, there have been 500 homicides and close to 3000 people shot...and there's nearly 4 months left in the year. Sanctity of life? Not in Chicago, that's for sure! Chicago is like a war zone and IMO qualifies for "cesspool of the USA."

"Shootings are really attempted murders. These are shootings not to scare but to kill, these are bullets hitting bodies," Dr. Arthur Lurigio, a professor of psychology and criminology at Loyola University Chicago, told me. "And that's what we should be calling them: attempted murders."

"It's just a gamble that they get a few dollars; your life isn't worth more than a few dollars to them," he said. "The most you looking at getting is 10, 20 dollars, something like that, and you don't value a human life more than that?"

www.chicagotribune.com... hicago-violence-kass-0908-20160907

edit on 9/8/2016 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

My apologies....tried twice to get the link to direct to the article in the Chicago Tribune, but for some reason I can't.
edit on 9/8/2016 by shawmanfromny because: tried to get the link to work...2x

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny

DAMNNN!

Two young dudes like that REALLY needed to use a gun on that 71 year old? It looked like they were doing it for the hell of it....

That's WORSE THAN the kind of stuff that was going on back in the 1960's, in Detroit, which helped fuel White Flight. The instant the video started playing it all came back to me, the time my grandparents talked about why they moved out.

EDIT: Okay, they were trying to mug him, now that I play it again. But OLD dude watering his lawn how much loot did they expect to maybe score? It's not like he was just getting hoe & out of his car carrying a TV.
edit on 8-9-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

251 days out of 365 (I think)... makes it about 2 murders a day.

What a sick society we live in

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

251 days out of 365 (I think)... makes it about 2 murders a day.

What a sick society we live in

No, what a sick micro-society that Chicagoans live in.

This is not representational of all America, nor the vast majority of American cities.

But, yes, Chicago is a pathetic societal experiment that has gone awry...where is that guy that took out Soddom and Gamorrah when you really need him?

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Just put a big wall around it.. Use it as the world's 2nd largest open prison.. (behind the United kingdom)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Just to be clear, this is not representational of all of Chicago either. Below is a link to an infographic that the Tribune maintains showing the distribution of shootings across a map of Chicago. As you can see, the vast majority occur on the south and west sides - the north, northwest, and southwest sides are all, in contrast, very safe neighborhoods.

There are so many problems here it's hard to even know where to begin, but the core problems are economic, racial, educational, governmental, cultural, and historical in nature. Given the complexities, I've honestly given up and decided to just let them all shoot it out. You can't save everyone.

Map of 2016 Chicago Shootings

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

Snake Plisken anyone? Couldnt resist. anyone remember that horrible Curt Russe; movie, Escape from LA?

Chicago has always been pretty bad. I spent many years on the West side dodging bullets from the bangers, but it usually stayed isolated within gang communities...it seems to be bleeding out into other neighborhoods.

I dont think theres an easy answer

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
This is mostly a youth run wild problem with teens joining gangs and contoling neighborhoods. Time to call out the national guard and put them on the street corners .. it may take a year or two but it will restore control and will provide safety and the teens will outgrow the gangs and younger kids will not have that gang culture to join .. but it will never happen ..

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I have heard many people mockingly refer to it as "Chiraq" and when one views the murder and shooting statistics from the past five years in Chicago alone, it is easy to understand why.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Snake Plisken anyone? Couldnt resist. anyone remember that horrible Curt Russe; movie, Escape from LA?

watch it man...that's a cult classic.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Subsonic

As of now.

If things continue, it will spread to the areas that are currently considered safe.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I understand where you are coming from based on my extensive travel and stay (months at times) within the U.S (over 40 States and 13 different cities over the past 4 years).

However, I disagree with your statement:

This is not representational of all America, nor the vast majority of American cities.

It IS representational of all America when weighed from a global perspective. I have just as much travel and stay in other countries as I do in America.

No, what a sick micro-society that Chicagoans live in.

WHY do many major American cities (not only Chicago,) have such an alarmingly higher rate of murders and shootings per capita when compared to other major cosmopolitan cities of developed industrialized nations in the world?

"Most Dangerous Cities In The World"

www.worldatlas.com...

"Four US cities have a place among the top 50 most dangerous cities in the world (on the basis of murder per capita statistics).

The other cities on the list belong to countries that are not considered first world nations in the traditional sense.

In other words; most of America's strongest allies such as Britain, France, Canada, Netherlands, Germany, Italy, Australia, etc; their cities are not on the list.

When planning your next trip, you may want to avoid some of the cities we’re about to mention. In 2015, they ranked among the world’s most dangerous places on the basis of murder cases per capita.

Caracas, Venezuela has risen to number one spot with 119.87 murders per 100,000 beating out San Pedro Sula in Honduras which had the top position in 2015, with 171.2 murders per 100,000 people per year but dropped to second at 111.03 in 2016. The number is surprisingly high in comparison to the most violent cities in many other countries.

In the US, for example, St. Louis, with its murder rate of 59.23 per 100,000, is still a much safer place to live than the world’s most dangerous city. Illegal drug distribution, extensive poverty, and gangs all combine to affect the living conditions in Caracas and San Pedro Sula, the help make those city so notorious.

It's not a good look for America when harsh statistics are being cushioned by attempts at comparing American cities such as St.Louis with cities such Caracas,Venezuela and San Pedro Sula, Honduras which rank #1 and #2 on the list of most dangerous cities in the world.

If you clink on the link for "Most Dangerous Cities in the World" above and scroll down to 'Crime Levels in the US – Dangerous Urban Havens?' you will find another link within that section to 'the Most Dangerous Cities In the United States.'

Now, after contemplating that list of U.S cities and comparing crime per capita with other first world nation countries and their cities, you might come to understand that what is going on in Chicago does indeed represent all of America.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig
a reply to: Subsonic

As of now.

If things continue, it will spread to the areas that are currently considered safe.

It would seem hard to not believe that would happen if there is no consequence. Gangs are about territory and they are a big part of the problem.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Are you implying that it's now considered "politically correct" to be disgusted with widespread violence, hatred, racism and oppression? Or is this just a spot for you to plug in your rambling post (which is well written by the way)?
edit on 9/8/2016 by shawmanfromny because: spelling

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I lived there 20 years ago and dont remember it being that bad but I wasnt really in tune with it either.

When you look at the shootings as "attempted murders" as the OP points out that makes it over 10 attempted murders a day. Thats just insane.

They are ruining a society.

My gut tells me to send in the national guard but you cant occupy a city forever.

It is to the point now where police have such a workload there is no way to follow up on all those shootings and the criminals know it.

I dont see it getting better unfortunately. Going to be a mass exodus on a larger scale than Detroit at some point.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
WAIT A FRIKIN MINUTE......... riddle me this ... So who is panning the camera ? ie. like minute 1:07 ....

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
You know who helped "organize" Chicago into what it has become, right?

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
"We border Indiana and Wisconsin, which have really lax gun laws," Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson said. "We know that people from Chicago go across the border, fill up gym bags with illegal weapons from gun shows and things of that nature and they come back here and sell them to the gangs."

-Not sure blaming neighboring states is the best approach from the P.D. either
edit on 8-9-2016 by In4ormant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   

I'm was saying that little old white people straight getting jacked in front of their houses, in a climate of mass racial turmoil, is what caused the White Flight from Detroit in the 60's. My grandparents said they moved after getting robbed at gunpoint on their own front sidewalk, in that new age of that kind of stuff going on en masse around the city.

Today now we're back i n a mass racial turmoil ordeal, and across the city there they have mass shootings... which isn't just gangbangers killing each other off no they're now targeting elderly old people in their own front yard. If they want a repeat of what happened to Detroit that's exactly the way to set that in motion:

I imagine its more racially diverse there than Detroit in the 60's, but whatever, when all of the decent folk skip town and leave it to the lowlife criminal degenerates there's not much any hope of things turning around after that.

By the way, my grandparents weren't racists. My grandpa's best friend was black, and that's who eulogized him after he died. A great little eulogy titled "Integrity". I never heard them use a racial slur once not ever.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join