It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a Gender Pay Gap issue in the West?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: jellyrev
To blow the myth up is simple. If i could pay half the population 77% on the dollar, as a greedy capitalist why would i not hire all women in return for the same labor.

Why would women entrepeneurs not see this, pay 90 cents on the dollar for all women workers and dominate a market with those savings???

We have seen this effect for illegal immigrants working for less for the same labor.
But we dont see this with women.

Simply put women are a liability in buisness.

They get knocked up and suddenly your paying two wages. One for the pregnant women doing no work on a maternity leave and a secound wage for temporary cover.

Employers don't pay the majority of maternity pay

"As an employer, you can usually reclaim 92% of employees’ Statutory Maternity (SMP), Paternity, Adoption and Shared Parental Pay.

You can reclaim 103% if your business qualifies for Small Employers’ Relief."

www.gov.uk...

Don't let that get in the way of your rant however...

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Except we do pay.....in taxes.

That money doesnt come out of nowhere.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Except we do pay.....in taxes.

That money doesnt come out of nowhere.

So you think we would be better off if only rich people had children? Doesn't seem a very good long term strategy to me.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

No there should a equivalent of maternity leave for childless people.

Or women should just expect to get paid less.
edit on 8-9-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Every time this type of article comes out, 15 articles debunking it get no coverage.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I don't disagree at all, however the thought that people should have any protection to go back to their jobs or any entitlement to benefits would drive most right wingers into a frenzy of indignation.

They already do, that's kinda the point.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Oh, you are of course absolutely right. I pay insurance to make sure I get a payout if I get a critical illness. The fact that (touch wood) I haven't is neither here nor there, I still want to get the pay out. That would really fly, wouldn't it?

Come on, I can accept the fact that you voted to leave the EU but is that because you want women not to have equal pay? Sheesh, would you like to limit the vote in some way also? I've got this strange vision of you counting your pennies and preening your handlebar moustache while bemoaning all those folk who get something for, well, actually making sure there is a next generation while not living on nothing but benefits for the next 16 years.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Here is Dr. Ben Barres on Women's Equality.

Why is his viewpoint unique? He was born female. He is a f/m transgender.

Dr. Ben Barres Knows That Misogyny in the Sciences Is Real

Dr. Ben Barres studies and teaches neurobiology at Stanford, with a focus on neuron-glial interactions in the development of the central nervous system. He graduated from MIT back when he was presenting as Barbara Barres, a period of his life he has no problem with speaking about publicly because he believes it gives him an interesting insight into the increasingly covered dearth of women in science. www.autostraddle.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

I don't disagree at all, however the thought that people should have any protection to go back to their jobs or any entitlement to benefits would drive most right wingers into a frenzy of indignation.

Left wingers surely? The traditional view of right wingers is that no one is entitled to anything (unless it's a peerage because you know the right people).

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

I've got this strange vision of you counting your pennies and preening your handlebar moustache while bemoaning all those folk who get something for, well, actually making sure there is a next generation while not living on nothing but benefits for the next 16 years.

For some reason I pictured it more as a toothbrush moustache....

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Left wingers surely? The traditional view of right wingers is that no one is entitled to anything (unless it's a peerage because you know the right people).

I think you might have misread my post as we seem to be saying the same thing.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

a reply to: uncommitted

Sorry guys no moustache.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Would you consider growing one???

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: crazyewok

But at some point wages (especially in my sector ) rise depending on experience, skill learned and time of the job.

So, merit based. I'm all for that.
I've worked with women who were just as good, if not better, than me but earned less.

So now we're throwing out anecdotes as if it means something? You put on airs like you're the resident "voice of reason", and yet few of your posts seem to demonstrate that when it comes to trendy hot button topics like a "pay gap."

Why don't you start by showing us some companies that pay women less then men for doing the same job and working the same hours? Go on and give us some examples.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

a reply to: uncommitted

Sorry guys no moustache.

As per ScepticScots response, you should try one, along with a top hat and a wing collar shirt, they are all the rage you know.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   

I think you might have misread my post as we seem to be saying the same thing.

I did misread, apologies.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLaughingGod

men are also less picky when it comes to clothing...thus the more options for women. but, right now, I have on a pair of men's jeans, men shoes, and well, much of my shirts a men's handed down to me from my kids. so I don't do much shopping in the women's dept.... their clothing are usually priced quite a bit higher.

Women often like to spend their men's money, also common knowledge.

maybe it depends on which economic class you are from... I'm from the lower. and it also depends on the particular man, doesn't it? where one man might want his wife going out shopping for those pretty frilly, and oh so expensive, dresses so he can show her off while another man might be griping about her wasting his money when she goes out and spends a small portion of her paycheck to buy a kids a pair of pants for school from the second hand store??

while men aren't that concerned about their clothing, what about tools? I know my husband just had to have the best of whatever was the right tool to do whatever job he had to do, I still have what is probably one of the first microwave models ever made, slice and dice my potatoes using the one paring knife I have, just ordered my first carpet cleaning machine, and have been known to sweep my floors due to the lack of a vacuum cleaner. and, I know for a fact that if you compared the average size of your women's clothing store to the average size of a sporting goods store, there is no comparison! same when it comes to something like the home depot compared to a store that would be geared towards the tools women usually use. both in size and cost.

but, what it really boils down to is that how much of the money a man earns that is spent by any particular women is totally up to the man earning the money! unless of course, that man is dumb enough to spawn children outside of marriage and is unable (or unwilling) to keep his family together, which by necessity brings in the gov't forces to decide just how much that his money should be given to the mother of his children, which could be a lot but could also be very little!

and well, the only person anyone can really depend on is themselves!

Women who are least able to prepare for widowhood and therefore are at greatest risk of widowhood, because of the relationship between mortality and wealth, give cause for Social Security policy to remain attentive to the special situation of widows. We would suggest that additional attention be paid to the welfare of women widowed after their children have grown but before they have completed their retirement preparations. These women are generally not eligible for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, Supplemental Security Income, or Social Security and thus are most vulnerable to poverty. Even women who have some accumulated wealth are more likely to be in poverty many years later, as they are forced to spend down their wealth in the years before gaining Social Security eligibility.

www.ssa.gov...

About 15 million children in the United States – 21% of all children – live in families with incomes below the federal poverty threshold, a measurement that has been shown to underestimate the needs of families. Research shows that, on average, families need an income of about twice that level to cover basic expenses. Using this standard, 44% of children live in low-income families.

Most of these children have parents who work, but low wages and unstable employment leave their families struggling to make ends meet. Poverty can impede children’s ability to learn and contribute to social, emotional, and behavioral problems. Poverty also can contribute to poor health and mental health. Risks are greatest for children who experience poverty when they are young and/or experience deep and persistent poverty.

Research is clear that poverty is the single greatest threat to children’s well-being.

www.nccp.org...

considering the two above facts, I have to say, it would be much better for most women just to get their tubes tied before they begin to be sexually active and just concentrate on being able to be financially secure. if society wants a future generation to carry on, they can just import all the orphans that their many wars, and, they can pay someone to raise them!

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: crazyewok

But at some point wages (especially in my sector ) rise depending on experience, skill learned and time of the job.

I've worked with women who were just as good, if not better, than me but earned less.

I'm not the only one who knows what a load of crap anecdote that is, Phage.

If you knew and she knew then she could take legal action. I know that you know this. Even if this was a problem it has already been solved on a federal level.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
It is truly amazing that people still believe this tripe about their being a pay gap.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
It is truly amazing that people still believe this tripe about their being a pay gap.

My bet is you are a man.

edit on 8-9-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join