It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Is there a Gender Pay Gap issue in the West?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 01:42 AM
link   
How common sense shows gender pay gap is a myth

Every year, twice a year — on International Women’s Day and today, so-called Equal Pay Day — figures are trotted out that show on average, women earn less than men, as if this is somehow a scandal in need of urgent action.

According to the Workplace Gender Equality Agency, this year the “gender pay gap” figure is 16.2 per cent, down from 18.5 per cent in 2014.

“Women working fulltime need to work more than 14 months on average to earn the same as men earn in a year,” WGEA director Libby Lyons said.

“Over a lifetime, compounded by time out of the workforce due to caring responsibilities, the gender pay gap contributes to greatly reduced lifetime earnings and retirement savings. On average, women retire with just half the superannuation savings of men.”

The WGEA says that, based on Average Weekly Earnings data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics, in order to earn the same as men women must work an additional 70 days a year on average to cover the $13,577 difference.

But this is an incredible oversimplification.

I am extremely surprised this article appeared on a major news website on the front page. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Chung has received a reprimand and hate mail as a result of having the courage to publish this opinion piece. He seems to say what many people out there have been thinking whenever this issue has been brought up. Nonetheless, those who agree with his views will probably receive derogatory labels from the usual segments of society.

Do you agree or disagree with the author of the article?

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I dont think there is.

Not when you factor in pregnancy.

Sorry women but if you choose to get knocked up and leave work for a year you need to accept its going to have a career impact.

Its not fair to to expect the same pay and promotions when you dont spend as much time in the job.

Want a career with equal pay? Then dont have kids.

Pregnancy is a choice. One everyone else shouldn't have to pay for!

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Its not fair to to expect the same pay and promotions when you dont spend as much time in the job.

I thought salary was about doing the job. Not hours.
And, if you're hourly, why should you earn less per hour for doing the same thing?

edit on 9/8/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 01:50 AM
link   
In the UK a woman would earn the same pay as a man if they were doing the same job, although here in the UK skilled trades are one of the highest paid working class jobs at the moment, and those positions are mostly filled by men..
Possibly that is why you may see a difference in pay between the sexes.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

, and those positions are mostly filled by men..

Why?
Preferential hiring practices?

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 01:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I thought salary was about doing the job. Not hours.
And, if you're hourly, why should you earn less per hour for doing the same thing?

At entry level yes.

But at some point wages (especially in my sector ) rise depending on experience, skill learned and time of the job.

A women who been working at a job 5 years but keeps takeing maternity leave is not going to have the same experience or have had the same time for training as someone works there consistently for 5 years without takeing a year off to give birth to a brat.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 01:55 AM
link   

, and those positions are mostly filled by men..

Why?
Preferential hiring practices?

No.. Everyone has the same chance.. It's just men are more inclined to study these trades when they leave school.
And some is just because of the difference between men and woman in a physical sense.. For example men are naturally stronger so building work for would suit males more than females.. If that makes sense..

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 02:00 AM
link   
And if course without sounding sexest, boys and girls are different anyway.
I have a young son and a daughter.. My son loves toy cars and his builder set.. My daughter loves playing shops, making jewelry and dressing up/make up.
We haven't promoted either with both it has always been their choice.. So my son would be more likely at this stage to become a car mechanic and my daughter would be more likely to have a career in fashion..
edit on 8/9/16 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Everyone has the same chance..
Easy to say. Whether or not it is the practice is another matter.
But it seems the gap is not limited to "the trades."
www.wsj.com...

Maybe it's different in the UK.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 02:02 AM
link   

But at some point wages (especially in my sector ) rise depending on experience, skill learned and time of the job.

So, merit based. I'm all for that.
I've worked with women who were just as good, if not better, than me but earned less.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 02:06 AM
link   

I've worked with women who were just as good, if not better, than me but earned less.

If they have earned iit sure.

But I have worked with some who have spent more time on maternity leave than in work.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Everyone has the same chance..
Easy to say. Whether or not it is the practice is another matter.
But it seems the gap is not limited to "the trades."
www.wsj.com...

Maybe it's different in the UK.

I've mostly worked within the skilled trade sector throughout my life.. Which you do get woman and they earn the same money.
But maybe I do not have enough knowledge to comment on the broader range of jobs i.e white collar, retail, etc
Although my wife earns the same as her counter parts and she works in the property sector.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I hate this tired old argument.

Women make less because they work less hours.
Woman take less risky positions.
Men are more subject to injury and fatality on the job.
Women have kids.
Women are more likely to leave the workforce for years at a time for personal or family reasons
Women more often handle family emergencies, illnesses, docters appointments ect.

And for good reason. Women are better at taking care of the family. yes I know that's wildly unpopular and should probably come with some kind of trigger warning or safe space or something, but its true. Big everything prefers working women because it destabilizes self sufficient family units, while adding extra tax payers into the equation... the end simple.

Except for rarely, a Man and a Woman working side by side doing the same job make the same amount of money per hour or whatever calculation is used to pay that position.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Out of interest.. What do you do for a living?

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   

None of your business.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 02:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Therefore hiring these women will result in greater profit for the company. Employers who wish for greater profit will find ways to hire mainly female employees.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 02:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Guessing will keep us busy. Can you narrow it down?

link   
a reply to: Kester

I agree.
So, that's the reason? Women are willing to work for less for doing the same thing?
*begins chasing tail*

link   

None of your business.

Haha.. Righty o then back on topic..

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 02:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
I dont think there is.

Not when you factor in pregnancy.

Sorry women but if you choose to get knocked up and leave work for a year you need to accept its going to have a career impact.

Want a career with equal pay? Then dont have kids.

Pregnancy is a choice. One everyone else shouldn't have to pay for!

If women were not having babies and the population came to a halt who would fill these positions you talk of ?

If the population was not there to fill the demand what then ?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join