It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Dangerous Career Volunteer - Are Special Benefits-Respect When Killed or Injured Justified?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   
September 7, 2016

When people VOLUNTEER to work in dangerous occupations, isn't it asking too much for the public to pay billions of dollars to compensate them, or their families, after that person is wounded, or killed in the career that they VOLUNTEERED for?

Whether it's a football player who endured concussions, or a military member who lost a limb, or a police officer killed while on the job. They all knew what dangers the job entailed before "signing on", but were willing to take the risk anyway.

This thought comes to my mind every time I hear an emotional cry from some advocate group, or relative, or veteran, saying "We need more ______!", or "We need better ______!"

I'm a V.A. compensated veteran myself. I'll accept the money and benefits as long as they are provided. But if the Veterans Administration cut it off tomorrow, I'd adapt. After all, I VOLUNTEERED to join the U.S. Navy, knowing that it was an occupation/career that participated in violence. Veterans like my 98 year old Dad, who was DRAFTED in 1942, deserve the utmost life-long care that the USA can provide him with, however.

Naturally, those hurt in any occupation should have an adequate benefits package to help them recuperate. But should the family of a firefighter who was killed while saving someone's property, get more attention/benefits/respect than the family of the janitor who died of a heart attack while cleaning someone's property?

Do any of you ever have these same general thoughts, but also realize that voicing such thoughts are sacrilegious, so you just keep them to yourself?

edit on 9/7/2016 by carewemust because: title length edit

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Gosh I both Volunteered to be a FireFighter and Paramedic. But I was also lucky to be Paid Professionally. Though if i were to be killed or maimed as a volly, It was was an immediate 100k payout. But that was all.
But for being paid, if i died there was a $3m umbrella policy. I was badly injured on the paid job, so i recieved the undisclosed initial + health care.
I got lucky.
I would say the Volunteers get my dearest respect. Whether you're Janitor or Armed Forces. Everyone does a job that is needed.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   
If we did not have people to be cops, firefighters, EMT, and all the others, then we would have to do it ourselves.
Can you imagine how messed up that would be?
I would rather pay somebody to take my turn. All those donut eaters deserve some security for their health
and families.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Equating football players....or those in any sports....to cops and the military.....it's like apples and oranges.
Yeah...I get they probably work 10-20 years only....but their pay is huge....for most it's millions per year.
And...aren't most athletes in unions nowadays???

I also take exception at the word.
For most of us, volunteers means some one who DOES NOT get paid.
One does volunteer to join the military...but there again the pay is not great.

Most careers are choices....NOT volunteerism.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Those who offer their services in dangerous situations are helping other people and society in general.
What kind of grouch would begrudge whatever rewards they get?

top topics

join