It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Another bakery refuses to make someone a cake

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

I'm more for the slogan: Make America Cake Again

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   
All they would have to say when they got called on it was they do not sell cakes to people who display symptoms of being nuts.

Oops, sorry, that is over half of America, I guess that would really not be a good thing to say. Being nuts is normal here.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   
My daughter's first job at the tender age of 17 was as a cake decorator at the local grocery store. She was an artist of sorts and took the assignment very seriously. After a day of training, they left her all alone in the bakery department and first thing, some guy comes in and this is what he wanted written on his cake:

IT'S MY BIRTHDAY AND I HAD TO BUY MY OWN GODDAM CAKE AND GET MY OWN GODDAM HAPPY BIRTHDAY WRITTEN ON IT!

She nervously informed him that she 'wasn't sure she was allowed to write 'GODDAM' on the cake.

They worked it out that she would cram that all on the cake (she did!) and then she wrapped it up double in the box so that there was no 'window' showing what was written on it, lest the cashier get her in trouble.

And we never did find out how that party went...

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 12:22 AM
link   
The cake was a lie.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Trump discrimination is running rampant it seems. Goldman Sachs enacted a rule that prohibits employees from contributing to the Trump campaign. Strange behavior for a company that Hillary said she's going to hit with a big tax increase. (Perhaps she told them that she lied..that her taxes will hit the working-class)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

A corporation trying to control employees voting habits much less donations seems highly illegal

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

lol at obvious troll

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Trump supporter by any means, however, come on. Its a cake. It's your job. Is your bakery job at Albertsons really worth being compromised over a stupid cake? Come on meow, pick and choose your battles.

-Alee

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Albertson's refused to bake me a cake once. For the Walking Dead season finale, season 3 I think, we were having a huge party and everyone had to bring their own dish. It was going to be bigger than usual because that day was also Easter Sunday. I really REALLY wanted a cake that read: "Happy Zombie Jesus Day." Did they make my cake? Nope!

Bastards.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
In today's world where it seems everything is up for copyright/trademark, and suing is a way to address a problem, a big business like Albertsons would be especially cautious about decorating a cake with something with a copyright/trademark. "Make America Great Again" is trademarked, for ex. I could see an Albertsons's employee in the bakery dept thinking that "Trump 2016" could be a trademark campaign slogan and saying that it couldn't be done.

Maybe a business needs to keep a file at hand with all copyrighted material, to make sure things like this don't happen.

Selling Cakes with Coyprighted Characters

Using another person’s design without their permission risks infringing their intellectual property rights, including their copyrights, trademark rights, and personality rights. .....Some states also have personality rights statutes that protect against the commercial use of a person’s likeness, name, and signature without their permission. That means creating an Elvis or Barack Obama cake might infringe those persons’ personality rights – or those now owned by their heirs – if their likeness, name, or signature were used without their permission. Together, these laws broadly protect the intellectual property rights owner from having others – including cake designers – appropriate their work without permission.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
Am I the only one who finds it weird that an 18 year old kid is so enamoured/smitten (dare I say worship-y) over a political candidate that they want it on their fricken birthday cake ??

Never underestimate the power of the new messiah.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: desert

This is most likely the case. It's no secret Trump loves to sue and tie people's time up in court.

Copyright issues are serious. You can't even sing Happy Birthday in a restaurant because it's owned by Warner Music Group.

"Yet it never gets into court because of the problems of mounting a challenge, And due to those problems we have people paying what amounts to $2 million a year or so into the coffers of Warner/Chappell," Brauneis said.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
Am I the only one who finds it weird that an 18 year old kid is so enamoured/smitten (dare I say worship-y) over a political candidate that they want it on their fricken birthday cake ??

You must be too young to remember Alex P. Keaton, who was a character played by Michael J. Fox on the TV show Family Ties. (1982 - 1989)

His character's heros were Nixon, Reagan and William F. Buckely

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Much ado about nothing:

“"We apologize to our customer in Bossier City for the situation regarding the cake that was requested. Our Bakery staff member misunderstood the training provided regarding copyrighted phrases, and incorrectly informed the customer we could not fulfill her request. We would be happy to provide the cake as the customer requested."

Copyright infringement. That's very valid. Could lead to lawsuits. The staff here worries about that all the time.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   
If this had been an individuals bakery - - not a chain store.

I doubt Louisiana has anti-discrimination laws for LGBT (or political persuasions).

It is probably legal in Louisiana to refuse to bake a cake for an LGBT person (or anyone)

Those bakeries that were sued and lost - - is because they were in states that had laws against refusing to bake a cake for an LGBT person.

The law means if they bake a cake for a straight person, they have to provide the same cake for everyone equally.

They are not required to bake a special LGBT cake. They are not required to put 2 grooms on a cake or write something against their belief.

The law (only in states that have anti-discrimination laws) applies to a STANDARD cake they have or would bake for a customer.

No baker is required to make a special cake or decorate/write on the cake something they feel is offensive.

edit on 8-9-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Um, no one is talking about LBGT. Why are you?

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

I expected someone to say this.

The title alone: Another bakery refuses to make someone a cake

What was the reason the other bakeries refused to make someone a cake?

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
You want to see 7 kinds of hammered hell rain down? Ask a bakery to decorate a cake with the image of a Disney character. Uncle Walt's shop will get it's cut. The Mouse don't play that free-use stuff.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Yes, fine. As a preface. Then you come in all this and that that has nothing to do with the topic and just the same ole agenda crap. Jacking the thread. It's getting old.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Yes, fine. As a preface. Then you come in all this and that that has nothing to do with the topic and just the same ole agenda crap. Jacking the thread. It's getting old.

Difference of opinion.

The OP did not have to throw in other bakeries as in "Another Bakery" - - and include a "hhahahahahahahahahaha".

Could have just addressed that one bakery, as in: "A Bakery Refused . . . "

Let's not kid ourselves on who/what/why - - those other bakeries refused to bake the cake.

I just stated, without personal comment, what the differences and reasons for refusing to bake those cakes were.

If I'm off topic, then I'm off topic. But, I don't see it that way - - because of how the OP presented it.

edit on 8-9-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join