It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quandary from The Sound of Silence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   
OK, so this is one of my favorite songs and though many have copied it, none have done well until now.

Now I can't decide which I like better.

What say you ATS? Simon & Garfunkle or Disturbed?

Simon & Garfunkel

Disturbed

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I prefer the Disturbed cover myself but the original certainly has it's place.

I'm also a fan of the FFDP cover of Bad Company over the original even though it's a great original as well.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

There must be links!

*As for the OP, can't pick one.
Like them both for different reasons but for the heavy moments.
Disturbed, of course.
edit on 7-9-2016 by TNMockingbird because: * clarification

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Don't like covers, but man Disturbed really nails it. His painful voice gives it the longing it always needed

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: JDeLattre89

I love David Draiman's voice, but the original version has that hypnotic harmony that makes it so unique. Its almost a tie for me, but I have to say I prefer the original.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Can't even make this choice...

the original is classic... the new version is amazing

I like both best

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Great song! My husband made lots of food money in college selling papers he had written about all the possible meanings of the lyrics for students, the Professors loved them, otherwise he would have had to live on Campbell's Tomato Soup and Saltines. His parents could afford the tuition but not the food money. Big motivator.

Anyhow, I watched the Disturbed video and I'm wondering if the video director had even read the lyrics? Big Fail imho on the video. The singer's voice is great for the song, the video just let him down though. He should reshoot it.

I agree with BelieverPriest that the "hypnotic harmony" makes the original the winner. Here's a live version:

edit on 7-9-2016 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDeLattre89
OK, so this is one of my favorite songs and though many have copied it, none have done well until now.

Now I can't decide which I like better.

What say you ATS? Simon & Garfunkle or Disturbed?

Simon & Garfunkel

Disturbed

Holy crap...

I was not expecting that !

I'm a bit of a puritan when it comes to certain songs and "The Sound of Silence" from Simon and Garfunkel is one of them.... but dang if David's voice didn't hammer it home.

I really like their rendition of the original, pleasantly surprised to say the least.

BUT...

The original still strikes a certain chord with me.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I'm not sure why, but I find the disturbed one to be laughable at best. I can not Stand it actually , and was appalled when i finally listened after hearing such praise.

So, obviously S & G get my vote.

Ooooh ah ah ah ah!
a reply to: JDeLattre89

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22
Don't like covers, but man Disturbed really nails it. His painful voice gives it the longing it always needed

I usually like originals more than covers, but one cover that really nailed it was Johnny Cash's version of the NIN song "Hurt".

I realize Trent Reznor was singing from experience when he did that song, but even Reznor admitted he was floored by Cash's cover and was moved to tears by it.

And speaking of Simon and Garfunkel covers, I was talking to a younger person whose introduction to the song "The Boxer" was the Mumford and Sons version, and they had only heard the S&G version later after that. They said they liked the Mumford version, but that may be because it was the first version they ever heard. Personally, I think the very very best version of that song came from the 1980 S&G "concert in Central Park".
edit on 2016-9-7 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 12:56 AM
link   
They both have redeeming qualities & you always have to give it to the original but damn...Disturbed hit a home run on that one...love that song

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   
This exact topic was posted months ago on ATS.

This is the live version that was posted in the original thread.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I liked it and thought some others would too.

Could you leave the link for the other thread? Thanks.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDeLattre89
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I liked it and thought some others would too.
Could you leave the link for the other thread? Thanks.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here's two for ya!

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Hooah!

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: JDeLattre89Simon and Garfunkel of course...The harmony is what makes it...If 'Sound of Silence' by Simon and Garfunkel never existed and was created and
produced by Disturbed, it would never be a hit song...

new topics

top topics

join