It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I sooo want a dulcimer! What instrument do you want to learn?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Been thinking about it for a while, but after seeing these vids I think it's time!

Does anybody play? Do you pluck? Strum? Hammer?

There's a lot of styles and varieties of this instrument. I will just start with what's cheapest and easiest for beginners. I have played drums and many percussion instruments well over a decade. I have never played a string instrument before. I am itching to try something new.

What do you play? If you don't play anything, what do you want to learn? I have always wanted to learn piano, and taught myself some bits, but never had the patience or dedication for it.

There's a melody inside of me and I want to get it out!

edit on 7-9-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I think I would like to learn to play the drums.

I already play on the steering wheel, kitchen table and counters and basically any hard surface when a good beat comes on.

I play(ed) piano and was always told that guitar would be easy for a pianist. Not so for me it was an epic fail.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

That's funny, as I was always told piano is the next step for drummers (as it's essentially another percussion instrument.)

Epic fail for me

I do play a mean balafon though. One of the oldest musical instruments on earth!

edit on 7-9-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
a reply to: TNMockingbird

That's funny, as I was always told piano is the next step for drummers (as it's essentially another percussion instrument.)

Epic fail for me

I do play a mean balafon though. One of the oldest musical instruments on earth!

If you ever want to set time for a drummer, perfectly, use a subdued strobe light. Works great in the studio when rendering separate tracks.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   
that was cool, i've never heard of a dulcimer.
as for me, i'd like to try a mandolin.
edit on 7-9-2016 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Rikku

What's stopping you? Go for it dude!

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Rikku

If I remember correctly, you play guitar right?

Mandolin would be an interesting transition with that skill.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I would love to learn the steel guitar

Or maybe the Theremin lol!

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

Oh yeah! You and I are going to form a band!

Love that slide guitar.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Let there be no doubt: the hurdy-gurdy.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I play piano and keyboard. No formal training. Just a layperson who loves it. (I tried earnestly a few times, but it seems my severe dyscalculia also extends to musical notation and theory.) That said, I can play at least some version of most things I hear within an hour of sitting down and trying to pick them out, for whatever that's worth. It's never wholly accurate, and is just a sort of muddling through variation, but it gives me great fulfillment and joy and I've been doing it for about 25 years.

I have also made (I hesitate to say "composed" because I don't know how to do that strictly speaking) a lot of my own music, just for my own personal enjoyment and maybe a few friends and family who indulge my weird bangings & twinklings lol.

That said, I have greatest respect for those who can actually understand and employ formal music theory and read music. It's an amazing gift/talent. Music is the (almost) universal language, indeed.

Peace.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: AceWombat04

Eh being able to read and write music isn't everything. It's about being able to play what you feel, and react to it emotionally.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

I've always wanted to learn how to play the Bodhran (celtic drum).

I absolutely love traditional celtic music and the Bodhran has always fascinated me... I can't help but tap my feet to the beat of it.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Fascinating drum.

I would like to add that to my collection!

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   

It's a fun instrument !

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   
The working title for this was "The Dulcimer Song", although it ended up as an Ital-Disco track.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I'm just dropping this here for your enjoyment.

As for what instrument I've always wanted to learn: I've always wanted to know how to play the guitar or bass.

new topics

top topics

join