It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three dead in midair collision

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Three people were killed over Georgia when two small aircraft collided over Carroll County. The two aircraft were landing at an uncontrolled airport and it appears that one set down on the other. An instructor and student were in one aircraft and a solo pilot in the other. One aircraft was a Diamond DA20C1, the other a Beech F33A.

m.ajc.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
died doing what they loved...guarantee ya...God love 'em

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Three people were killed over Georgia when two small aircraft collided over Carroll County. The two aircraft were landing at an uncontrolled airport and it appears that one set down on the other. An instructor and student were in one aircraft and a solo pilot in the other. One aircraft was a Diamond DA20C1, the other a Beech F33A.

m.ajc.com...

Very sad. Is there any protocol to prevent that event?

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Glad you asked , Smurfy yes...when we first start out learning in the air...

the first thing ya hear is the unwritten rule .... the rule is see and be seen, that's why we can't have pilotless drones. they can't follow the unwritten rule....

the landing pattern is tough to see past your wing be it high or low....

a reply to: smurfy

edit on 7-9-2016 by GBP/JPY because: last minute thought there....yezz

edit on 7-9-2016 by GBP/JPY because: our new King.....He comes right after a nicely done fake one

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   

They're supposed to make radio calls as they do each leg of the pattern at uncontrolled airports. If the instructor and student were talking they may have missed it.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   
yep, best to enter the pattern calling over ....midfield..... that way everyone knows exactly where you are and where to look
edit on 7-9-2016 by GBP/JPY because: our new King.....He comes right after a nicely done fake one

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
That kind of stuff happens now and then. An airplane here came crashing down about two months ago. I would bet that there are probably a couple hundred people who die in little plane accidents every year. I knew two people who died in airplane crashes. One hit a tower and the other had his plane go into a spin and everyone in the plane died.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

General Aviation has a pretty high accident rate, but they generally manage to avoid midair collisions.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 02:29 AM
link   
It happened a couple times during WW2

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 05:02 AM
link   
You do not have to go back that far San Diego PSA flight 182 a 727 midair with a Cessna everyone killed while in radar contact.... youtu.be...

LAX (Los Angeles International airport) which would never be classified as a puddle jumper airport had a passenger jet Boeing 737 with a night time landing (1991).... number two in this videoyoutu.be... The US Air 737 was cleared to land on top of a small commuter turbo prop aircraft that was also cleared onto the runway...

Last I heard the tower operator on that shift had been promoted to some kind of supervisory position (away from the tower) for she darn sure could not work in the tower.. Her mistake and people died.. The commuter aircraft on the runway supposedly had a tail light burned out and many airlines do not/did not turn on their strobe lights until given clearance for take off. Strobes are bright and can mess with other pilots night vision who are awaiting clearance for take off.

The closest I ever came to a midair was when I was cleared from 8000 to 18,000 feet and was in solid IFR...(in the clouds like inside a ping pong ball). As we leveled off at 18 just of my left side was a commuter turbo prop who had not left for his assigned altitude of 24,000.. I throttled back and flew formation with him as my co-pilot queried ATC on WTF did the YS-11 think he was doing... I was overseas and the Captain of the YS-11 said sorry as he stared his very late climb... ATC only told the YS-11 to expedite their climb.. Just another day in a third world country; that was Asia .

Jeddha Saudi Arabia had three runways. (1979/80). They were numbered something like 21 left 21 center and 21 right.. Well they decided to dig a eight foot wide ditch about half way down on runway 21 right.. In their great wisdom they then renamed 21 center to 21 right instead of just saying 21 right was closed..... A Boeing 727 was cleared for takeoff on 21 right (which was now the old 21 center.) but you probably guessed it.... they lined up and tried to take off on the old 21 right.. They almost made it but alas both main gear hit the ditch and ripped the main gear completely off the aircraft and killed one or two individuals (?) working in the ditch installing cables for the new runway lighting system.. No one on the aircraft was seriously hurt as the crew kept the aircraft on the runway .... The airline came out with a spray can of paint and painted over the name of the airline and then moved the aircraft. I arrived at the airport just after that had happened.... What a stupid mess !

I flew for 45 years professionally both as a military pilot and as a commercial pilot.. Flying is absolutely one of the safest modes of travel available... Unless someone is having a bad day ... The we are all just along for the ride...

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They're supposed to make radio calls as they do each leg of the pattern at uncontrolled airports. If the instructor and student were talking they may have missed it.

Maybe a 'bonger' installed with the navigation would be a good idea in that case.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   
It's not clear who landed on who. I'll be interested to see the ntsb report on this one.

top topics

join