It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

13th century Maya codex, long shrouded in controversy, proves genuine

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   
13th century Maya codex, long shrouded in controversy, proves genuine
(news.brown.edu)

PROVIDENCE, R.I. [Brown University] —The Grolier Codex, an ancient document that is among the rarest books in the world, has been regarded with skepticism since it was reportedly unearthed by looters from a cave in Chiapas, Mexico, in the 1960s.

But a meticulous new study of the codex has yielded a startling conclusion: The codex is both genuine and likely the most ancient of all surviving manuscripts from ancient America.

Stephen Houston, the Dupee Family Professor of Social Science and co-director of the Program in Early Cultures at Brown University, worked with Michael Coe, professor emeritus of archeology and anthropology at Harvard and leader of the research team, along with Mary Miller of Yale and Karl Taube of the University of California-Riverside. They reviewed “all known research on the manuscript,” analyzing it “without regard to the politics, academic and otherwise, that have enveloped the Grolier,” the team wrote in its study “The Fourth Maya Codex.”

Glad to see researchers were able to overcome this case of academic snobbery.

(ps another two-left handed Mayan)
edit on 7-9-2016 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

edit on 9.8.2016 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

Interesting read , thanks for sharing

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Great stuff, thanks, they took so long because the truth hurts the modern social paradigm

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   

What I don't understand and there may be good reason is how and why it took this long. Coe could and may have confirmed its authenticity 20 years ago. But there was a note about politics.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Who would that be the "Oaks" or some other interest.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Always amazing when something questionable gains academic acceptance and definitive credibility. I loved reading this, though I fully admit to being an uneducated layperson with little knowledge of it. Thank-you.

Peace.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
Great stuff, thanks, they took so long because the truth hurts the modern social paradigm

Lol, no it doesn't. There are no truths in this book. They took so long because for most of its known existence the codex has been under lock and key in Mexico

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Now that is interesting.
Thanks for an optimistic Thread.

S&F

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Does it say the world ended 4 years ago?

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 03:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Marduk

Lol, no it doesn't. There are no truths in this book. They took so long because for most of its known existence the codex has been under lock and key in Mexico

What is it about, in short summary? Is it available to read online?

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   

“It became a kind of dogma that this was a fake,” Houston continued. “We decided to return and look at it very carefully, to check criticisms one at a time. Now we are issuing a definitive facsimile of the book. There can’t be the slightest doubt that the Grolier is genuine.”

I guess they were sure it's fake back then...and all those claiming it was real were...tin foil hat wearing lunatics.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

No

It is to do with measuring the movement of celestial bodies, Venus being one... the "long count" which suposedly ended in 2012
The count is part of a cycle not a dooms day scenario

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Just to add

The "Codex" has been proven to be genuine
This does not mean it is correct

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Taxiarch

here you go

well done for being able to understand Mayan
its always been a mystery to me

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   

I find that image fascinating--I love seeing the preliminary sketch before it was inked over. It appears that the artist was not exactly the greatest at attention to details when he inked it in.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

I find that image fascinating--I love seeing the preliminary sketch before it was inked over. It appears that the artist was not exactly the greatest at attention to details when he inked it in.

He was probably whizzing his tits off on Ayahuasca at the time

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Load of crap.

The Grolier Codex is a fragment, consisting of 10 painted pages decorated with ritual Maya iconography and a calendar that charts the movement of the planet Venus. Mesoamerican peoples, Houston said, linked the perceived cycles of Venus to particular gods and believed that time was associated with deities.

You want it to "hurt the social paradigm," that's why you made the claim.
The contents of the codex had nothing to do with the suspicions attached to it.

Harte

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Marduk

Thank you for the image, love the name btw. I am pretty sure you know of the Cyrus cylinder and how he liberated the cult of Marduk.

What are the odds that that is NOT a reference to the Babylonian Jews?

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Taxiarch

here you go

well done for being able to understand Mayan
its always been a mystery to me

I can only imagine the ridiculous conclusions Georgious Seukolous of Ancient Aliens would draw from this as he always makes everything a guy in a spaceship,lol.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 01:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Taxiarch

Yeah I heard he got excited over Tony the tiger

Apparently a cat that wears clothes and speaks English must be Alien

<<   2 >>

join