It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vegan Italian Sausage

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
My daughter went Vegan and today is her birthday so I decided to surprise her and make her this. It takes quit a few different spices and a few odd ball ingredients that most of us meat eaters won't have hanging out in the pantry, but other than nutritional yeast I had most everything on hand or easily available at the local grocery store.

I am shocked at how good these not only came out, but how good they taste.

Here is a pic of my finished product.

These can be frozen, thawed and sliced for pizza, to put in spaghetti sauce or pretty much anything else you would use Italian sausage in.

Here is the list of ingredients.

2 cups vital wheat gluten
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons onion powder
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 3/4 teaspoons fennel seeds, lightly crushed
1 1/2 teaspoons dry red chili flakes
1/2 teaspoon dry basil
1/2 teaspoon dry rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dry thyme
1/2 teaspoon dry oregano (rubbed)
1/2 teaspoon paprika
several grinds fresh black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1 portobello mushroom cap
1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup vegetable or veggie chicken broth
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, grated
2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
1 tablespoon agave, optional
1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire, optional

How to Vegan Seitan

Other than the ingredients you'll just need a good size steamer and some foil.

The vegan Worcestershire sauce I had to make myself due to this area being rural and the grocery stores not carrying a whole lot of variety for those who do Vegan. So I made this recipe which I found on YouTube. Surprisingly I liked it. Pretty close to the real stuff.

Vegan Worchestorshire Sauce

1C + 2T apple cider vinegar
3/8 C soy sauce
1T Molasses
2T Dijon Mustard
3/4 t onion powder
3/4 t garlic powder
3/8 t cinnamon
Dash of chili powder, cayenne, allspice and clove
Juice of small lemon
5 dashes of liquid smoke
optional Dash of Tamarind extract

Blend and DONE!

Anyhow, for those interested I thought I would share and pat myself on the back for attempting something strange that actually came out great!

Any questions let me know.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Awesome looks good, nice job! Happy Birthday to your Daughter! It's my Sons birthday today too!

Saving your recipe

edit on 9/7/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10

Awesome looks good, nice job! Happy Birthday to your Daughter! It's my Sons birthday today too!

Thanks.

Happy Birthday to your son as well!

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Vegans are such a pain in the ass. They need to stop fretting over animals and imagine all the hassle they cause with their crazy diet plans!!*

The sausages look good and the recipe makes me think they'll be as tasty as you say they are. What's the texture like? That's where I find the veggie/vegan food producers falter. Some are pretty good (veggie/vegan hot dog sausages) and others not so good (Linda McCartney's). Some you bite into and chew like regular ones and others are like a tube of flavour containing tasteless mush. Is it the added gluten that makes them look substantial?

I used to make a few things too. Seeing the cannelini beans reminded me of making spicy bean burgers. They were damned tasty if a little time was spent getting the texture and spices right.

* ex-vegan who still eats a few veggie products

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Good job

I like a bit if cooking and might try these although does seem to be quite a lot if ingredients. Which apart from the wheat gluten, I have all of them in the cupboard.. And for the sauce too.
I often cook vegan and vegetarian foods for the family as I do believe that too much meat and dairy is not very good for them.
There are some amazing veggie dished that are out there.. And quite easy to prepare..

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

The texture is what I would call "rubbery"? I expected that texture while kneading the gluten though. I don't have the best choppers yet I didn't have problem chewing it as I would if it had been steak or such though.

I am ignorant when it comes to Vegan food but at least when you chew it, it does make you think you are chewing a piece of meat.

My kitchen smelled really good while it was steaming in the steamer though!

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Vegans are such a pain in the ass. They need to stop fretting over animals and imagine all the hassle they cause with their crazy diet plans!!*

The sausages look good and the recipe makes me think they'll be as tasty as you say they are. What's the texture like? That's where I find the veggie/vegan food producers falter. Some are pretty good (veggie/vegan hot dog sausages) and others not so good (Linda McCartney's). Some you bite into and chew like regular ones and others are like a tube of flavour containing tasteless mush. Is it the added gluten that makes them look substantial?

I used to make a few things too. Seeing the cannelini beans reminded me of making spicy bean burgers. They were damned tasty if a little time was spent getting the texture and spices right.

* ex-vegan who still eats a few veggie products

Linda McCartney are Crap and so is Quorn products..
What was good though were veggie fingers (like fish fingers) asda own brands one.
I too am ex vegan and I really did struggle, I do still eat a lot of veggie meals though.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
What did you use to shape them, was it cling film or sausage casings which is usually pig intestine.
They look good. Wish I could taste them minus the gluten ingrediants.
Well done you I bet your daughter will be so happy.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

The texture is what I would call "rubbery"? I expected that texture while kneading the gluten though. I don't have the best choppers yet I didn't have problem chewing it as I would if it had been steak or such though.

I am ignorant when it comes to Vegan food but at least when you chew it, it does make you think you are chewing a piece of meat.

My kitchen smelled really good while it was steaming in the steamer though!

I have to agree as the ingredients did look amazing.. Although I did wonder what gave it its substance.

I have a good veggie recipe which taste great.

1 onion
2 large potatoes
2 tsp curry paste
1 courgette
1 pkt button mushrooms
3/4 vegetable stock cube
1 can coconut milk

Basically cook that lot together and serve with rice.. Very nice meal, which is what I cooked tonight and will 4 people and cost less than £10 (and you will have stuff left over for the next time you do it)
Pm me if anyone wants the method.
All the family love it including extremely fussy kids.
edit on 7/9/16 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cloudbuster
What did you use to shape them, was it cling film or sausage casings which is usually pig intestine.
They look good. Wish I could taste them minus the gluten ingrediants.
Well done you I bet your daughter will be so happy.

The dough (I will call it) you just divide it into 8 equal pieces and roll it out like you would say if you were shaping hot dog buns?

Then you just tightly wrap them in foil and twist the ends up.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Oh great job. Go into business.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

'Rubbery' is probably better than the sloppy mush the shop-bought ones are like. I feel like making a joke about 'daylight rubbery' lol

"Mouth feel" is important. Even if something tastes good, it has to feel good in the mouth and have some kind of al dente to it imo. Cauldron make vegan sausages in the UK and they're just about right if they're cooked right. Yours remind me of them.

A close relative is all-in vegan and I'll send her your recipe. Whether she'll get her lazy ass (joking) to the kitchen cupboards is not for us to know.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

LOL. My daughter won't cook either! Hope she finds a good gal or guy that does, otherwise there will be a lot of money spent eating out!

Yea, mouth feel is the word. It surprisingly was pleasant!

I made her veggie burgers and I tried one and they were mush too so I threw them out.l

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

Linda McCartney country pies are still bloody amazing. I've always said you could sell them at a football match and nobody would guess. Quorn sorta meh. The mince was okay enough but another brand did a way better job of it texture-wise.

Veggie fingers? Oh yes!! Always have a box in the freezer. So snackable and fairly healthy too. Try a fried egg and veggie fingers toast sandwich. Delicious with a couple of drops of tabasco if you're feeling frisky.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Sounds good. Although i am not vege/vegan, i will eat almost anything put in front of me. If it tastes good, all the better. I have several groups of friends who are, and it amazes me what they come up with, and every now and then it tastes pretty good. I do love veggies and i often go without eating meat for days. I have a good recipe for bean burgers. I'll try to find it.

I am always curious what makes people choose that diet/lifestyle. What is your daughter's reasoning for removing animal products from her diet?

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

Sounds good. Although i am not vege/vegan, i will eat almost anything put in front of me. If it tastes good, all the better. I have several groups of friends who are, and it amazes me what they come up with, and every now and then it tastes pretty good. I do love veggies and i often go without eating meat for days. I have a good recipe for bean burgers. I'll try to find it.

I am always curious what makes people choose that diet/lifestyle. What is your daughter's reasoning for removing animal products from her diet?

Honestly I can't tell you her reason. My guess? A couple of her friends are into it. She says she feels better, so it's her life and like I told her, "Make sure you do it healthy and check with a doctor on what vitamins you should supplement your diet.".

Does that bean burger recipe you have, have a good texture? (Not mushy) If it does, I wouldn't mind checking it out.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   

a reply to: Misterlondon

Linda McCartney country pies are still bloody amazing. I've always said you could sell them at a football match and nobody would guess. Quorn sorta meh. The mince was okay enough but another brand did a way better job of it texture-wise.

Veggie fingers? Oh yes!! Always have a box in the freezer. So snackable and fairly healthy too. Try a fried egg and veggie fingers toast sandwich. Delicious with a couple of drops of tabasco if you're feeling frisky.

Sounds good.. I will try that, thanks

I've only ever tried McCartney sausages.. Although one of the types (can't remember which one) wasn't too bad if I'm honest, I will definitely try the pie though.. And maybe not tell the kids, see how it goes down.
With quorn I only tried meatballs and sausages and both were pretty bad.

I honestly would rather have stayed vegan as I did feel healthier but I really struggled with the dairy, eggs etc (not to mention the other stuff not food related)
I'm kind of a semi vegetarian now I suppose, I really do eat little meat these days.
And I will try to avoid things that exploit animals unless I feel it necessary..
I know it's not all out but feel I'm doing my little bit.
edit on 7/9/16 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

This is close to the bean burger recipe I used to use. I'd add breadcrumbs (not flour) to the mix to help 'dry' it out and make it more shapeable and boiled raw kidneys for ages. No coriander or parsley either! Adding paprika with the cumin and some chopped chillies (to personal taste) made them tasty. She misses seasoning too and salt & pepper is a no-brainer.

The key is getting the mix just dry and tacky enough before shaping and cooking. IIRC, I'd sear them in a hot oil pan and grill them off.

Such a lot of time though.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Might give that a shot!

Thanks!

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   

This is close to the bean burger recipe I used to use. I'd add breadcrumbs (not flour) to the mix to help 'dry' it out and make it more shapeable and boiled raw kidneys for ages. No coriander or parsley either! Adding paprika with the cumin and some chopped chillies (to personal taste) made them tasty. She misses seasoning too and salt & pepper is a no-brainer.

The key is getting the mix just dry and tacky enough before shaping and cooking. IIRC, I'd sear them in a hot oil pan and grill them off.

Such a lot of time though.

only cost 9p per burger! Thats amazing..

If like to try the both methods though as they both sound pretty good.
I wonder if you can replace the kidney bean though because I am not overly keen on them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join