It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paper Towels

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Last night i sent my youngest son with my mom to get some shampoo and paper towels at the grocers. He comes back with the correct shampoo, but the paper towels he brought were Bounty.

In our house, we use only Viva, the soft kind. It absorbs, and it does so softly. I can't for the life of me figure out why Bounty, which has a similar price point to Viva, survives on the market.

Am I just odd? Im not a "brand loyal" person, but I am very quality loyal.

(yeah, the most meaningless thread ever....)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I'm 26, born and raised in Vermont and haven't ever heard of Viva. I have, however seen lots of Bounty commercials and would probably pick Bounty in the store over Viva because of brand recognition. Maybe Viva needs a new marketing director?

ETA: This is my 4,000th post. I'm not embarrassed by it, but I will say I wish I had saved it for something pertaining to Stargates or Moon Pyramids. You win some you lose some I guess HAHA
edit on 7-9-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Both brands are sold here in the UK but I wouldn't know the difference, never bought either.
I use small cloths, real towels, and wash them, never understood buying paper towels which end up in landfill.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Nope!
Not just you.....I have a definite preference for certain products and all WILL NOT be right in my world with a crappy substitute. Lots in life I can overlook, ignore, deal with but mess with my "little things" and I flip my S#$T in a major way.

I think it's all the other stress things we deal with that causes it.
Bad boss? Meh, unexpected home repair, Meh, someone cuts you off in traffic, Meh.
Wrong brand of toilet paper, or laundry detergent and we go bat-crap nuts.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   

I am not really picky about paper towels, I like 'choose a size' and pretty decorations, though. I usually spend the least amount of money possible.

My aunt recently gave me a 12 pk of Bounty. I normally wouldn't buy it myself because I find it expensive. Howevwr, it works great. I also like Viva.

I have worked as a housekeeper and the only paper towels I avoid are those that leave 'paper twel dust' on electronics and glass if I am not using a mirofiber cloth. Bounty doesn't leave that behind.
edit on 7-9-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

I'm 26, born and raised in Vermont and haven't ever heard of Viva. I have, however seen lots of Bounty commercials and would probably pick Bounty in the store over Viva because of brand recognition. Maybe Viva needs a new marketing director?

ETA: This is my 4,000th post. I'm not embarrassed by it, but I will say I wish I had saved it for something pertaining to Stargates or Moon Pyramids. You win some you lose some I guess HAHA

Gratz on 4,000th post!
This thread is worth something!

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Both brands are sold here in the UK but I wouldn't know the difference, never bought either.
I use small cloths, real towels, and wash them, never understood buying paper towels which end up in landfill.

There are some jobs that a cloth towel doesn't do. Its not stiff enough to hold any shape, for example. A paper towel....does a fantastic job of holding its shape.

I am a big fan of kitchen towels. I buy them in a box of 100 every couple of years. Buying them is the only way I can keep the wife from turning any old clothing into a "towel" that leaves strings everywhere.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I'm not too picky on paper towels. I buy HEB brand big rolls in the 2-pk. They work for me.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Viva is very, very soft. It doesn't absorbe 10 gallons of kool aid like Bounty, but its as soft as a baby blanket.

not all Viva's are...and I don't know why. But you can tell by looking that the one that looks like pillowy felt is going to be the soft one.

link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
I'm not too picky on paper towels. I buy HEB brand big rolls in the 2-pk. They work for me.

I love HEB more than any man should love a grocery store.

link   

I read this and thought...

"oh great! A first world problem thread".

But then I thought...

"wait a minute! I do the same with toilet paper!"

I feel your pain!

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
bigfatfurrytexan

Well, in consumer studies...Viva is rated the most absorbent paper towel..But you would think it would be Scott..as they are the company that originally invented paper towels due to a shipping error:

It all started when a delivery to the Scott Paper Company was incorrect – the paper shipment (a whole railroad car full of it!) was too thick to use for toilet paper. Arthur Scott, in charge of the company at the time, was faced with a serious dilemna – send the paper back or find an alternative use for it.

Meanwhile, a teacher in the Philadelphia School District knew her students were exchanging unnecessary germs every time they went to get toilet paper to blow their nose. To help eliminate this problem, she started giving them soft paper so they wouldn’t have to keep touching the roller towel in the toilets. Scott had learned about this situation prior to the deliver of the too-thick paper and saw the defect paper as a chance to market a product similar to the teacher’s solution. He sold the paper as small, perforated towel-sized like sheets, calling them disposable paper towels.

The product was such a success, Scott was soon selling his invention (renamed as the “Sani-Towel”, short for the Sanitary Towel) to restaurants, hotels, and railroad stations for their public bathrooms. Later, in 1931, Scott saw an expanded use for his Sani-Towel in the kitchen, so he officially introduced the world’s first “paper towels” – a sheet a perforated, soft paper, on a roll in sheets of 13” x 8”.

But I do think that it all depends on what mess you are trying to clean up though..I prefer Viva..my parents prefer bounty.

Thanks,
blend57

Viva paper towel review
edit on 7-9-2016 by blend57 because: added link

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Viva is very, very soft. It doesn't absorbe 10 gallons of kool aid like Bounty, but its as soft as a baby blanket.

not all Viva's are...and I don't know why. But you can tell by looking that the one that looks like pillowy felt is going to be the soft one.

Soft is good for toilet paper. For paper towels, they can leave this 'paper towel dust' I speak of behind. lol.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Can you tell us why you like your paper towels to be soft? Or why you'd like them to hold their shape? Not a paper towel user here.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Am I just odd? Im not a "brand loyal" person, but I am very quality loyal.

Nope. Nothing odd about that -- or you... well, at least not to me. We're a Viva-only house too!

I'm not often brand loyal either; but I sure am quality loyal. Other paper towels just can't compare. At all. Soft but strong, and absorbent.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Soft is good for toilet paper. For paper towels, they can leave this 'paper towel dust' I speak of behind. lol.

Oh yeah, viva sucks at window cleaning for sure.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

Can you tell us why you like your paper towels to be soft? Or why you'd like them to hold their shape? Not a paper towel user here.

Lets say im eating some tacos. While taking a bite, some of the greasy taco stuffing gets on my face and hands. I have 2 options for how to remove said taco grease from my typically soft skin: a cactus or viva paper towels.

I tend to go with viva.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I just use toilet paper for everything, completely useless info for ya'll...

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

I have worked as a housekeeper and the only paper towels I avoid are those that leave 'paper twel dust' on electronics and glass if I am not using a mirofiber cloth. Bounty doesn't leave that behind.

Good to know -- thanks! I've always used newspapers for cleaning glass and windows. Never thought of paper towels, much less that some would be better than others.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

I'm thoroughly impressed with the comments on this thread. It's amazing how seemingly ordinary topics allow for so many people to connect. Bravo everyone, ATS is full of gems, sometimes you just have to dig beneath the political crap when it's an election or when there are Jade Helm type of operations going on, lol!
edit on 7-9-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join