It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mac Mini, not an easy switch over from a PC.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I was looking at the Mac Mini on apple.com and it uses a USB keyboard and mouse (which it doesn't come with) but a PC uses a PS/2 connector for keyboard and mouse, now how is making the switch easy when you have to also buy a $30 USB mouse and a $30 USB keyboard? The only converter they give you is a VGA Monitor to DVI so you can hook it up to the Mac Mini, they should include a PS/2 to USB converter for the PC keyboard and mouse, which I haven't been able to find such a product on their webstore or else where.

Hell for $500 bucks I can buy a Compaq computer that comes with a keyboard and mouse.

Apple is still ripping people off, use over the counter parts like everyone else! Or at least put the Mac OS on PCs!

[edit on 21-1-2005 by ProphetOfYahweh]

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Instead of apples "Mini-PC" offering, people should look to the "Mini-ITX" form factor, which is smaller, more powerful, cheaper and some might say better looking.

Best of all it runs windows XP.

Check it out --> www.mini-itx.com...

A5H

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arrowhead
Instead of apples "Mini-PC" offering, people should look to the "Mini-ITX" form factor, which is smaller, more powerful, cheaper and some might say better looking.

Best of all it runs windows XP.

Check it out --> www.mini-itx.com...

"Best of all it runs windows XP"

Yeah now give a good reason

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Macs can run 3 operating systems at the same time: Mac OS 9, Mac OS X, and any Windows OS.

You just need Virtual PC, about $100. But on the other hand, PC's can't run Mac OS at all.

Or, lastly, just do what I did: Screw the major companies into the ground by using Linux!

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
pc uses usb keyboard and mouse as well, although it has ps2 ports for mouse and keyboard, most people have switched over....

i personally have been using a usb keyboard and mouse since they started making them...

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I think most PC companies switched to USb about 5-8 years ago.. You really need to get a new computer!

The Mac mini is supposed to be for people who want to try out macintosh computers, but already have a PC. In that way, they already have a keyboard and maybe also a screen. (In most cases)

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   

I think most PC companies switched to USb about 5-8 years ago

Oh, my PC is around 7 years old, it's still hanging in there lol. I won't buy a new PC until this one almost stops working. I'm suprized it's hanging in there this long considering i'm running Windows 98 Second Edition.

Doesn't all Mac computers now allow a person to use Windows formatted disks (Zip disks, 1.44mb diskettes) without formatting/erasing them so you can access ones old files? It says that somewhere on apple.com unless you have to buy the software to do that then well that's a ripoff.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProphetOfYahweh

Hell for $500 bucks I can buy a Compaq computer that comes with a keyboard and mouse.

Apple is still ripping people off, use over the counter parts like everyone else! Or at least put the Mac OS on PCs!

[edit on 21-1-2005 by ProphetOfYahweh]

yep!!! everyone is talking about it...like its something so great!!
umm helllllooooo check out the dell outlit...or dell in general and for $500 you can get a top of the line tower and a FLAT screen monitor and printer!!!

and this mini mac seems like its going to have Apples infamous problem of overheating...because function was sacrificed for design/look....

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I thought with a USB keyboard you wouldn't be able to get into the BIOS? ie before windows has loaded to recognise it as such, or have computers got over that little problem now?

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
There's another strategy ... if you have multiple systems on your desk and they all have monitors and you don't want to have multiple keyboards 'n meeces, you should take a look at KMremoteControl from www.derman.com.

Simply put, KMremoteControl is a software keyboard/mouse switcher (i.e., KVM without the "M" part). I've been using KMremoteControl for quite some time (in a different setup) and it works really well. Hope this helps.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Go for a linux system if you want, xandros 3 is a great OS

top topics

join