It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MTV VMA's so BLACK

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

I agree there is a disparity with MTV's demographic spread but I think the leaning is based on genre more than skin color. MTV used to feature a lot of arena rock hair bands and, like, zero hip hop. That's all changed. Hip-hop and club music is sort of their thing now.

I wouldn't imagine a hip-hop artist to be featured on Country Music Television, either. Because of genre, not skin color.

The movie awards didn't have that excuse.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: TheBulk
Funny that in the case of "oscars so white" you only took issue with those who had a problem with "oscars so white".

I took NO issue with anything. Here's the entirety of what I said on the subject:

I don't have any problem with them boycotting anything they choose to. I wouldn't join them, but they're free to do it. I don't really care.

I don't know why everyone is so concerned with shaming other people's choices... I mean, really... So what? Let them boycott. Everyone gets a burr up their ass now and then.

You dont see a difference in your response there, compared to here? You only took issue with those who took issue with the racial conspiracy theorists. So, why arent you taking my side now?

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

I agree there is a disparity with MTV's demographic spread but I think the leaning is based on genre more than skin color. MTV used to feature a lot of arena rock hair bands and, like, zero hip hop. That's all changed. Hip-hop and club music is sort of their thing now.

I wouldn't imagine a hip-hop artist to be featured on Country Music Television, either. Because of genre, not skin color.

The movie awards didn't have that excuse.

Because white people = "arena hair bands"

Do you even listen to music or know anything about modern music? There's a lot of huge white artists.

Break the programming people, FFS. I know you think ignoring the obvious makes you a virtuous person, but it doesn't.
edit on 6-9-2016 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: justme2

Hold on there buck-a-roo. Everyone in this thread is making sense. Except, for you. There's a shocker...

You go around interpreting everything you see as some pervasive "war against the white race". When (shhh, let me tell you a secret, and please sit down) such a war: doesn't exist. And, it never has.

No, I do not do that. If I post about race, it';s some obvious example of clear racism being perpetrated by those claiming to be against racism. These days it seems racism against whites has become common place and even promoted at our universities. For example:

'How To Be a White Ally' posters say all white people are racist

You know who thinks things like that? The white supremacist movement.

Yes and that's what's made it so hard to be a consistent anti-racist in modern times. Those with small minds lump you in with the scum of the earth. I just have to keep reminding myself that people like you tend to support groups like BLM who are overtly racist and violent, so your opinion isn't worth much.

You know why? Because they go around screaming almost verbatim some of the things you stated above: to entice and attract (wait for it!) ignorant people!

Actually the things they say match up pretty verbatim with what's coming from the left these days, only the target is whites. I don't know what white supremacists spout because I don't concern myself with them. I'm not a racist. I'm a human being who is tired of the hypocrisy and being lectured by people who perpetuate racism as a means of allegedly fighting against it.

On your way out, please feel free to visit the souvenir stand. Where you can buy your very own "Ignorance Denied? Not Today!" XXXXL hoodie, or coffee mug.

Sorry, but shouting "racist" wont shut me down. I know you've become accustomed to it, but you've worn it out. Your word has made you lazy and stupid.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Yeah. Keep telling yourself that. You have no idea about my educational background. However, anyone reading your racist rants immediately can gauge yours.

It doesn't surprise me at all you "choose not to respond" to someone who knows exactly what you are doing.

The thing that must bother you the most, is that most others do not see the "Blacks" (as you so eloquently call them) to be a problem. Only you, and your gang of fools.

Enjoy your hate.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
If anyone reading this wants to see the different reaction from the people accosting me here., just check out the thread about the Oscars supposedly being "too white".

Black Actors Call For Oscars Boycott Over Lack Of Diversity

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: justme2

Yeah. Keep telling yourself that. You have no idea about my educational background. However, anyone reading your racist rants immediately can gauge yours.

Which part of anything I said was racist. Quote me and make your case.

By the way, I'm former USAF with a bachelors in IT management.

It doesn't surprise me at all you "choose not to respond" to someone who knows exactly what you are doing.

I'm calling out real racism, at least by the standards set by people like you. That makes you mad because it upsets your view of the way things are.

The thing that must bother you the most, is that most others do not see the "Blacks" (as you so eloquently call them)

I say whites too. Not sure if I even said blacks, but if I did it wasn't out of hatred for black people.

Only you, and your gang of fools.

Enjoy your hate.

But, I don't hate black people. I grew up around lots of black people! I was raised musically by Ice Cube, Public Enemy and EAZY-E. DO not presume to know who I am. You don't.

I don't fully blame you though. It's hard to overcome the indoctrination we all get from a young age.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
Sooooooo....

The Oscars was racist, according to you?

Imagine my shock that a "black people thread" was created by you.

No, the Oscars were racist according to people like Will Smith. This year there were no people of color up for any of the major awards and there was quite the uproar over this, to the point where there was a concerted effort to boycott the Oscars on the part of some in the industry.

variety.com...

A refresher for you to remind you that this was a thing. There were even threads about it here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   

If anyone reading this wants to see the different reaction from the people accosting me here., just check out the thread about the Oscars supposedly being "too white".

Black Actors Call For Oscars Boycott Over Lack Of Diversity

Well I only saw one person from that thread participate in this thread...

And this is what the honourable member said...

originally posted by: Konduit
I can understand why some people might get upset, but do you think this is going too far?

Going too far? Too far for what? I don't have any problem with them boycotting anything they choose to. I wouldn't join them, but they're free to do it. I don't really care.

I don't know why everyone is so concerned with shaming other people's choices... I mean, really... So what? Let them boycott. Everyone gets a burr up their ass now and then.

I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Are white people boycotting the VMAs???

Should they be???

This is the first I've heard of it and I'm not worried in either case to be honest.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   
OP i don't think your racist or support racism in any way,, You think you seen a problem with racial division concerning MTV and others you mentioned,, i'm i wright or wrong?.

My view is their is no problem, least not for me and all the others in this thread.

The way you started this thread/posts comes across very racist or racial divided concerning (White/Black) people and music,, almost to the point you are racist,, that's the way it seemed to me reading this thread.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

So what about the MOBO's?
Why is the divide in music? Music is colourblind to me, but a MOWO award thing would trigger the # out of many people.
...I don't think there should be any race/colour based awards thing...music is probably the greatest art that is colourblind.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

You only took issue with those who took issue with the racial conspiracy theorists. So, why arent you taking my side now?

I didn't "take issue" with ANYONE. I didn't take anyone's side. I said, "I really don't care". If they want to boycott, let them boycott. If you want to start a thread, then start a thread. I don't care if the Oscars are mostly white OR the VMAs are mostly black. Neither twists my panties.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Your entire posting history gives me, and anyone else who views it the idea that "fighting racism" is low on your priority list.

If you indeed are one that is "fighting racism" - acting like some of the scourge's of society i mentioned above, is probably not the best way to go about it.

So, at this point, in my mind, there are two possibilities:

1.) You are trolling us all at this point.
2.) You actually believe there to be a "War against whites" as you spelled out previously. And that by you fighting against black empowerment, you are somehow fighting racism.

I don't know which is worse.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

This isn't about shaming people's choices.

This is about wondering why society feels that it needs to demand quotas for one but not for the other. And it's an interesting question.

I would agree that certain genres of music are pretty much heavily Arican-American and I'm fine with that. However, I also recognize that the awards movies this year were also pretty much not inclined toward minority roles for the most part. It happens. How often were you going to find transgender latinos in the world of The Danish Girl which was a movie about a transgender person? What were the odds that even film critics would enjoy the subversion of casting Denzel Washington as Trumbo?

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Oh my God someone get this man a Pepe meme stat! "The blacks" are doing things again! Everything is trying to kill my whiteness!

The only one programmed here is you.

Sure a few black actors may have raised a stink on Twitter about the Oscars and it probably trended on Face Book and Tumblr for a day... Stormfront for a month, then everyone moved on. Why are you still steaming about it?

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

What can we do about it?

At the end of the day the Oscars boycott was by people who felt slighted in the industry.

What more can we do but let them protest and debate them in an free market open forum of ideas?

This "mountain" is a molehill in my opinion.

And my original question wasn't answered by the OP.

Was the Oscars racist, like he thinks the VMAs is racist?

Or is that different?

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
The MOBO awards are racist as # though.

*Edit*
Imagine a 'musicians of white origin' awards night lol

OMG! There'd be boycotts, demonstrations, the usual, from the usual (non-white).

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

No, I don't think that was the question.

I posed it previously or maybe restated it.

If not having any people of color in your awards in the right categories is thought of as racism and grounds for boycott, why does no one think the inverse is likewise true?

Because I'll tell you right now, I don't think the inverse is true, but why was it a big news "thing" for the first case to be made mention of? Why did certain groups feel like they'd been slighted for racial reasons? Why is it always for racial reasons and never just because it wasn't their year?

*NOTE: EDIT TO ADD*

Let me pose this another way:

There are lots of college basketball teams across the nation right now. There are plenty of them that are very good and don't feature a single white player. This is not considered racism. No one thinks this is at all racist because everyone assumes that sports are a meritocracy where the very best play. However, it has been noticed that plenty of times, Duke U. manages to field a team that is very, very white in a field crowded with heavily black teams. Duke also manages to win quite a bit, and accusations of racism are never very far from Duke U. in some way, shape, or form.

Why is that?
edit on 6-9-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   

The award is for videos. Are you seriously trying to argue that black people somehow dominate music? They don't....

No. I'm saying that it's possible black people make music that is more popular on MTV.

It's pretty obvious that MTV made it about black people. Nearly everyone involved in the show is black. It's not at all representative of the country or the industry.

Ok. Why should I care?

You sir are fulfilling your role as a "good white".

"Good white", huh? I'll have to look that one up.

What do you think about the "oscars so white" hullabaloo?

I don't care. Why should I?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join