It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Ambulance drives into wedding party and explodes south of Baghdad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
"Many casualties after ambulance drives into wedding party and explodes south of Baghdad, Iraqi police say. Details soon."

www.cnn.com...

Just a breaking news banner at top of page, anybody ele have anything on this? This could be bad...

[edit on 21-1-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
This is all Reuters has on it so far:

Reuters
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - A suicide car bomber killed 14 Shi'ite worshippers as they left a Baghdad mosque on Friday, a Muslim holy day, ratcheting up tension between's Iraq's religious communities just nine days before landmark elections.

Another car bomb exploded in a town just south of the capital, killing and wounding several people in a wedding party, police and survivors said. Survivors of the attack brought to a Baghdad hospital said more than a dozen people may have died. Police said it was too early to establish the exact toll.

In a sign of the insurgents' confidence, a group beheaded an Iraqi soldier in broad daylight in the restive rebel town of Ramadi. They left the body, still dressed in army fatigues, in the street with the severed head placed on the torso and a note warning other Iraqi troops to quit.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
i have just found this so far,
nothing new:

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - A car bomb has exploded in a town just south of Baghdad, killing several people at a wedding party, police say.

They said the target of Friday's attack was not clear. Several dead and wounded were taken to hospital in Baghdad, and survivors said more than a dozen people may have been killed.

source: reuters.co.uk

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Okies, story is coming in. CNN.com is reporting:

"BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- An ambulance drove into a wedding party and exploded in a town south of Baghdad Friday evening, killing several people and wounding others, Iraqi police said.

No other details were immediately available."

Man, it could have been many dozens. At least.

If you cant feel secure standing next to an ambulance or other "official" vehicle, what kind of security is actually in place? Scary stuff people.

[edit on 21-1-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The things that carry out these attacks are not human they are animals, they're not even animals that's too good for them, they are slimemold! I can't believe there are some people still defending them, even here on this site!

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The insurgents are probably seeking to radicalize Shi'ite voters in the days ahead of the election. I am assuming this was a Shi'ite wedding party, can't imagine the insurgents blowing up a Sunni wedding unless there was a high-profile Iraqi official present. That way, when Shi'ites turn out in droves on the 30th, they'll be more likely to vote for hardline Shi'ites. More Shi'ites in Sadr's camp will be elected rather than Sistani's or Allawi's. That will lead to more of an Iranian style government and increase the alienation of Iraq's Sunnis. What do you get then? the Civil war the Sunni insurgents crave with American troops caught in the middle.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Sources say hundreds of Iraq attacks planned

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) — Amid stepped-up attacks ahead of the January 30 elections, a top Iraqi police official Thursday said intelligence sources estimate 150 car bombs and 250 suicide attackers are prepared to strike in the coming days.

A top Iraqi police official told CNN Thursday the information came to light during interrogations of recently detained insurgents who said targets would include election centers and other locations, without being specific.

A U.S. military spokesman said of the information: "This is the trend we have been expecting as we get closer to the election."

The news comes a day after four suicide car bomb attacks in and around Baghdad killed at least 25 Iraqis and the bombers in just 90 minutes.

Several Islamic Web sites published claims of responsibility for all four bombings by the terrorist network led by Jordanian-born Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, who has ties to al Qaeda. (Full story)

Based on information from the Joint Coordination Center — made up of coalition and Iraqi security forces — at least three workshops producing car bombs and other explosive devices have been found in Baghdad in recent days, the police official said.

According to him, additional operations will be launched, including raids in search of bomb-making workshops.

Iraq remains under a state of emergency, which was renewed earlier this month by interim Prime Minister Ayad Allawi, who said "the terrorists continue to do everything they can to prevent the formation of a new government in Iraq."

The state of emergency essentially puts the country under martial law and allows Allawi to restrict freedom of movement, impose curfews and take security and military measures he deems necessary ahead of the January 30 elections.

as the elections gets close,
so are the attacks increasing.
this will be very hard to prevent,
since there will be thousnads of election points.
who will guard them all?

source:
cnn.com

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
The things that carry out these attacks are not human they are animals, they're not even animals that's too good for them, they are slimemold! I can't believe there are some people still defending them, even here on this site!
Those of us who do not like Bush do not defend them. what are you saying?

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Its OK. Americans didn't do it so its really no big deal. After all if a country invaded the USA the only thing we could do would be kill our neighbors leaving church. That is the way true freedom fighters take the battle to the enemy.

I salute the brave men that valiantly assaulted the wedding with no thought to their own safety, may Allah reserve a place among the martyrs for them.

These are truly heroes

I am being sarcastic for the thinking impaired

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Oh, but they're not really insurgents. They're Freedom Fighters. I mean, if someone invaded America wouldn't you do the same thing?
Killing people at wedding parties and beheading soldiers so others will quit leaving anarchy to reign is a sign of these peacful Iraqis taking their country back and driving out the invaders.

^^
Typical respons you'll see on here from people like Marg, dg, etc.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Thtsjustweird, i think i've had enough of you for one day. Please refrain from including me in all your inmature remarks.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
maybe we should know whos wedding party they attacked?
but i guess we will never find out.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Thtsjustweird, i think i've had enough of you for one day. Please refrain from including me in all your inmature remarks.

Hey, I have no problem not mentioning you. I hope I NEVER have to do it again.
I apologize, it's just a pet peeve of mine to see people wallow in willful ignorance.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
You hope you never HAVE to do it again??? What in the world is it with you, thats how you apologize? Do us all a favor, go cool off somewhere and when you come back, act your age. Those of us with different opinions are no less than you are.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bauer 51
The insurgents are probably seeking to radicalize Shi'ite voters in the days ahead of the election. I am assuming this was a Shi'ite wedding party,

Indeed, making the shi'ite populace elect hard line anti-sunni representatives could result in a constitution and government that disfavours the sunnis, which would be a problem for the post-occupation iraq. It doesn't even require that they select a Shi'ite sect government, just one in whcih the shia majority oppress and marginalize the sunni minority.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
maybe we should know whos wedding party they attacked?
but i guess we will never find out.

And the reason this makes a difference is________??

from Amuk
Its OK. Americans didn't do it so its really no big deal. After all if a country invaded the USA the only thing we could do would be kill our neighbors leaving church. That is the way true freedom fighters take the battle to the enemy.

I salute the brave men that valiantly assaulted the wedding with no thought to their own safety, may Allah reserve a place among the martyrs for them.

These are truly heroes

from ThatsJustWeird
Oh, but they're not really insurgents. They're Freedom Fighters. I mean, if someone invaded America wouldn't you do the same thing?
Killing people at wedding parties and beheading soldiers so others will quit leaving anarchy to reign is a sign of these peacful Iraqis taking their country back and driving out the invaders.

Very well put, fellows. Too bad that what you say will be lost on many that post here.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Now watch out for the person in the cake with gernads who pops out. Gee, no respect of anything by these inserts nomads.

new topics

top topics

join