It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Einstein Proven Wrong, Yet Again

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nochzwei
Source local oscillator freq can only go up, if time dilates.
You're abusing the dictionary because time dilation according to the way it's defined and the way everybody else uses it means the exact opposite of what you say it means. In other words, when time dilates, the frequency goes down, by definition, not up as you claim.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Nochzwei

You really need me to explain this to you?

GPS,
Satellites,
ISS,
Other space craft,
Computers,
And a whole host of other things wouldn't work correctly if GR was wrong.

link   
I know nothing about physics(though I have a friend studying it), but I see a bunch of smart people here saying otherwise and it seems they find you are incorrect so the question becomes why can't you simply admit to being wrong? I don't just side with the majority(rare for me), but in this case I have to agree with them.
edit on 6-9-2016 by ksiezyc because: Grammar

link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

btw gps does not use anything from GR. hope that helps

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Stop making crap up:

Real-World Relativity: The GPS Navigation System
People often ask me "What good is Relativity?" It is a commonplace to think of Relativity as an abstract and highly arcane mathematical theory that has no consequences for everyday life. This is in fact far from the truth.
Consider for a moment that when you are riding in a commercial airliner, the pilot and crew are navigating to your destination with the aid of the Global Positioning System (GPS). Further, many luxury cars now come with built-in navigation systems that include GPS receivers with digital maps, and you can purchase hand-held GPS navigation units that will give you your position on the Earth (latitude, longitude, and altitude) to an accuracy of 5 to 10 meters that weigh only a few ounces and cost around $100. Learning math is good for your brain

Gravitational time dilation in the Earth's gravitational field has been measured numerous times using atomic clocks, while ongoing validation is provided as a side effect of the operation of the Global Positioning System (GPS) General Relativity

edit on 6-9-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Who is Barstar Lumberjerk?

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ksiezyc
I know nothing about physics(though I have a friend studying it), but I see a bunch of smart people here saying otherwise and it seems they find you are incorrect so the question becomes why can't you simply admit to being wrong? I don't just side with the majority(rare for me), but in this case I have to agree with them.
Lol you can't be serious, but its your choice

link   

You're flat out wrong.

GPS satellites have to get their time adjusted due to the slight time differences it incurs by being in orbit. If the time wasn't adjusted, the GPS wouldn't be accurate.

link   
a reply to: ksiezyc

What you say, especially if the holy cow of physics around here steps in, hail Arbitrageur.

But it's super funny*popcorn

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I'm very serious. Are you about this at all?

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

stop relying on wiki

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

I agree it is funny. Especially this: (Credit to TerryDon79)

So you're saying that Einstein wasn't proven wrong by a random guy on the Internet who thinks a heater is a time machine? I never saw that coming.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

You're flat out wrong.

GPS satellites have to get their time adjusted due to the slight time differences it incurs by being in orbit. If the time wasn't adjusted, the GPS wouldn't be accurate.
GPS receivers have an empirically applied correction, independent of any GR. Talk to gps manufacturers. Ive also been a pilot, btw

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

stop relying on wiki

The first link is the Ohio State Astronomy Department and those little numbers on the bottom of the Wikipedia page are called footnotes.

Try clicking on them instead of being purposefully ignorant.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

You're flat out wrong.

GPS receivers have an empirically applied correction, independent of any GR. Talk to gps manufacturers. Ive also been a pilot, btw

Of course they have a correction built in. That correction is calculated using GR.

link   
a reply to: Reverbs

90 billionsth of a second ???

I thought this discussion would be about something a little more significant than that!!

How does the difference in the time on these two clocks make the trains run on time, or my hard boiled eggs get done any faster.

Boy, you talk about "deny ignorance". This may be doing just that, but how can it have any real application in the real world ???

If we were talking about the difference in time it takes to travel between star systems, then OK. But who can set their wrist watch that close and still keep an important appointment ?

link   

I'm very serious. Are you about this at all?
Im very serious too

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

You're flat out wrong.

Of course they have a correction built in. That correction is calculated using GR.
there is no calcultion. its empirical

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: tinymind

Well I think the discussion is focused on the general idea and that the time difference increases with more gravity? I could be wrong. Probably am. Just ignore me.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

You're flat out wrong.

there is no calcultion. its empirical

So there's no calculation apart from the calculation?

Do you even think before you reply?

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   

a reply to: tinymind

Well I think the discussion is focused on the general idea and that the time difference increases with more gravity? I could be wrong. Probably am. Just ignore me.

you're right yea..
time slows down with more gravity..

When you get into using a number for time in an equation that deals with many variables to find out where someone is on earth from trigonometry or whatever..

the error of time can be magnified to proportions large enough to cause issues..

He was responing about an experiement separating clocks by 33 centimeters..

Satellites have a MUCH greater height above earth. And a more magnified effect on getting GPS cords wrong. SO we have to use Einsteins theory of relativity to adjust those numbers.. And it works..

This is a silly thread.
edit on 6-9-2016 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join