It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The lesson to learn from Colin Kaepernick

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Colin Kaepernick is a true patriot.

Bless Megan Rapinoe and all the others for following his lead.

Together we can make America great!

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Funny ... so many responses alluding to Kaepernick's money (sure) or his status as a 1%er (not even close) ... while I've seen other comments made elsewhere here that a person's wealth is deserved by whatever means they achieved it not to mention the fact that in more than one case amassing wealth supposedly confers greater wisdom and understanding of the world ...

... unless that man happens to be Black and he is drawing attention to the injustice STILL BEING DONE DAILY to his people.

Don't know that it is because he is black. Had a white player, say Drew Brees, not stood for the anthem out of support for blacks being oppressed by the police, I am sure he would have received pretty much the same reaction.

Again, I disagree with you and him about the message, but thats not what is relevant here.

You re right about the hypocrisy of saying because he is wealthy he can't relate or shouldn't speak on these issues. Would the same people here say that Trump then can't speak on issues of being poor?

There is just no doubt in the minds of any rational person in this country that African Americans (and other minorities) are and have been treated unjustly and inequitably by our various governmental and economic systems both in the past and the present.

Right, we just disagree with what those government and economic systems are.

Also ironic is seeing so many comments about patriotism and respect for our country's traditions when I have seen other comments (again, made elsewhere here at ATS) that have done everything except call for open rebellion, and in some cases, even that. No respect for the Presidency (not merely the man holding the Office), for our traditions and values, condemnation of every act of government that doesn't merely satisfy someone's own short-sighted personal interests or that helps the needy or underprivileged ... who have whined and gnashed their teeth about freedom of speech being trampled on ... now want to spit on another man who is exercising his.

/shrug, sadly, par for the course these days.

I think you are right here too. I would argue that it doesn't matter if Kap is right or wrong, he thinks he is right. Either we all have to respect all of these traditions no matter what, or we all are allowed to protest if we think the country is corrupt or broken. But we should try to be consistent with our beliefs.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

I feel you, but it must be hard to be the police and to be constantly cast as a villain. Inevitably, human nature will mean they will argue back.

I can only agree with you to a certain extent here. There is a very big difference between being anti-police and being anti-police brutality an absolutely crucial distinction which is being blurred on both sides. When police cannot make that distinction, and refuse to work or make threats or otherwise retaliate, they are in fact and in deed protecting and defending police brutality AND perpetuating/escalating their abuse of the public.

And if police cannot and will not make that distinction, then neither can the public. Especially when they seldom even give lip service to the abuse, much less actually address police brutality within their ranks and offer reasonable and effective reform, but simply resort to further abuse.

No one is forced to be an LEO. No one has a right to be an LEO. No one has the right to demand employment on their terms.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
I feel you, but it must be hard to be the police and to be constantly cast as a villain. Inevitably, human nature will mean they will argue back.

I'd say it's similar to being black and being constantly cast as a villain. Inevitably, human nature will mean they will argue back.

They're arguing back, and Colin Kaepernick is arguing in his own way.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Excellent point! The road goes both ways...

I meant to say something to that effect, but you said it better than I would have!

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I'd say it's similar to being black and being constantly cast as a villain. Inevitably, human nature will mean they will argue back.

They're arguing back, and Colin Kaepernick is arguing in his own way.

But who in the national spotlight has cast blacks as villains recently? The President, the media, the DOJ, academia, the entertainment industry? I have heard them all parroting the line about cops abusing blacks.

I haven't even heard Trump or any of the Republican candidates casting blacks as villains.

But if you are right, then you would agree that the police have as much right to speak up as blacks do, right?

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I just want to say that I enjoyed everyone's responses on this thread, but I found it very telling.

Most of the posters (not all) either hated Kaepernick and made it a point to say so, or they supported Kaepernick and agreed with his message. It seems like it is hard to admit he did anything right if you disagree with his stance.

I am not complaining, its just that neither of these two things was what I was trying to discuss. I was trying to make the point that I wish everyone would do more personally to help the causes they think are important.

I don't like Kap or his stance anymore than I did before, but I respect the fact that he tried to do more than just raise awareness.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

His career appears to be over and he goes for this stunt. This isn't going to work because it is about him and not the BLM. The 49er's tried to trade him and the Bronco's where the only team to show any interest. Nobody wants him because he is toxic and when I say that I'm talking about before this protest.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   

I don't like Kap or his stance anymore than I did before, but I respect the fact that he tried to do more than just raise awareness.

He tried to raise awareness for the 4 or 5 people in the world that are not aware of the issue. He decided to donate when the whole thing blew up in his face.

Has something like this(involving a famous person) ever worked out for them?

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: anton74

But my point is who cares why he did it!

I don't like him, but I hope that some inner city kids get a better life because of the money he donated. I don't care if not one more person likes, it is meaningless to me.

I hope that all of the people I dislike in the world help people that need help. I don't care if they are doing it for selfish reasons or not. I am not a moron, I will not leave a donation change my mind about someone if I think they are a bad person or have bad ideas.

But when that kid that is struggling to keep warm in the winter gets a new coat, they don't care that the person that donated it was a scum bag, and neither do I.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   

a reply to: anton74

But my point is who cares why he did it!

I don't like him, but I hope that some inner city kids get a better life because of the money he donated. I don't care if not one more person likes, it is meaningless to me.

I hope that all of the people I dislike in the world help people that need help. I don't care if they are doing it for selfish reasons or not. I am not a moron, I will not leave a donation change my mind about someone if I think they are a bad person or have bad ideas.

But when that kid that is struggling to keep warm in the winter gets a new coat, they don't care that the person that donated it was a scum bag, and neither do I.

You're missing the point that he could have made a bigger impact. His GF is a BLM activist and he thought everyone was going to love him for this. Stunts lime this never work out as planned.

Nothing is going to change as a result of this. He could have had a bigger impact but blew it.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   
This is definitely, imo, an overblown story. THE MAN IS JUST EXCERCISING HIS CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO PROTEST!

That’s what supposed to be the very thing were all proud of being a part of: FREEDOM OF SPEECH

It’s a good method of protesting…I mean he’s not out calling cops names or threatening them and if he does then that to me is wrong

But the man is just doing what any American has a right to do

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 04:59 AM
link   

I just find it a bit weird that you all get so worked up about a guy not saluting a piece of material even though he isn't representing his country at the event in question - very strange. Americans on ATS seem to love saying they are the only country on Earth that defends free speech (no, that's not true), but when anyone practices it in a way that is neither hurtful or malicious they are seen as the bad guy.

weird

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

I just find it a bit weird that you all get so worked up about a guy not saluting a piece of material even though he isn't representing his country at the event in question - very strange. Americans on ATS seem to love saying they are the only country on Earth that defends free speech (no, that's not true), but when anyone practices it in a way that is neither hurtful or malicious they are seen as the bad guy.

weird

Bitterly ironic, mostly. All things considered.

Me, personally, think this whole thing is rather telling about the mentality of a lot of NFL fans. We have football players who have committed murder, rape, drunk driving, manslaughter, and domestic abuse, yet never do you see the outrage from the fans over real felonies compared to a guy who won't stand for the anthem.

I honestly do not care if he stands or refuses. He never took an oath to serve or defend, he is not a public servant. He's just another overpaid doucherag tossing a pigskin on the field, and in the bigger picture, his opinions matter no more than anyone elses. I have more important things to get outraged over.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Thanks, good response.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
This is definitely, imo, an overblown story. THE MAN IS JUST EXCERCISING HIS CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO PROTEST!

That’s what supposed to be the very thing were all proud of being a part of: FREEDOM OF SPEECH

It’s a good method of protesting…I mean he’s not out calling cops names or threatening them and if he does then that to me is wrong

But the man is just doing what any American has a right to do

So? Does that mean everyone has to squash their freedom of speech because of him?

The people are protesting too. All legal like.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Colin Kaepernick is puppet, encouraging now the targeting of our nations values that the government has stopped working for it a long time ago

He is an example of how people bark to the wrong trees in this case national anthem and flag, when it comes to protesting what they think is right.

He is no blaming the government that has started a war to keep racial divisions, but still have no done a darn thing to help inner cities.

His donations will go into the coffers of the institutions that supposedly are to help inner cities but the crap and the struggles are still on going and getting worst and will never reach those that will need it.

Sorry Colin Kaepernick but you are nothing but a joke.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   
We rarely see eye-to-eye on any subject, Grambler, but I do agree with your bottom line here. The bottom line is, whatever it takes to get someone to help others in need is okay by me. I personally believe his motivation was to raise awareness. You or others might think his motivation was just to get attention for himself or to promote his career. Who cares! One million dollars to a worthy cause is better than a kick in the pants. If he does more, as he promises to, all the better.

I absolutely loathe Donald Trump, but if he were to donate a million dollars right now to a battered women's shelter, or to an inner city mentor program, or even to some kind organization that helps undocumented immigrants, I would say great! It won't make me forget all the other really rotten things he does and says, but I would like that one individual action, and I would praise it.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   

But who in the national spotlight has cast blacks as villains recently? The President, the media, the DOJ, academia, the entertainment industry?

Kaepernick is not protesting the treatment of blacks 'in the national spotlight'. He's protesting the systemic racism apparent in the legal justice system of the US; The law enforcement arm of the government that operates all across this country. Although that racist treatment IS in the national spotlight, he's protesting the existence of it, not the reporting of it.

But if you are right, then you would agree that the police have as much right to speak up as blacks do, right?

Absolutely! The police have every right to disagree, speak their minds and protest if they want. However, Kaepernick is not protesting in lieu of doing his job. He's protesting before he goes to work during an unrelated activity (the playing of the national anthem). If the LEOs want to protest, they have every right. They can carry signs and sing songs before or after the game, but, as public servants, they have an obligation to do their job. But the police union is talking about protesting Kaepernick by refusing to do their job of protecting and serving the people at the 49ers games.

Police Union Threatens to Stop Protecting 49ers Games over Colin Kaepernick

Kaepernick's actions aren't hurting anyone. If the cops refuse to provide for the security and safety of the citizens, it's an entirely different matter.

It seems like it is hard to admit he did anything right if you disagree with his stance.

I don't think people have to make the moral judgment of "right" or "wrong". What he did is exercise his rights, whether or not one agrees with the reason. I support his right to protest (as I have supported Fred Phelps' right to protest), but I wouldn't say either one is doing the "right" thing. It's not my place to judge that.

I was trying to make the point that I wish everyone would do more personally to help the causes they think are important.

I agree completely! And I appreciate that message. If his $1 million donation makes a difference, that's the most important result of this event.

It's just that this is ATS. Of course, if you bring up a contentious topic like Kaepernick, the discussion is going to go into the realm of argument.

Great discussion!

edit on 9/7/2016 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Exactly the point I was making! Thank you.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join