It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Great lakes pollution Ohio/Michigan tainted drinking water

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I live in Michigan and I'm an avid sportsman. I do a lot of fishing and I spend a lot of time on the water. A lot of people are unaware of the actual condition of our water ways. I've been following this stuff for years. Every summer I look at satellite photos using the national oceanic and atmospheric administration's website. There are massive poisonous algae blooms on Lake St Clair and Lake Erie. The beaches on Lake St Clair have been shut down 5 times this year because of E coli. Last year Toledo Ohio was under a boil water advisory because of poisonous algae in the water. This algae is very toxic and can cause kidney and liver damage. The major source of this pollution is the Detroit metro area. I drive over the Clinton river and smell raw # all summer long. They've been dumping raw sewage in the Clinton river for as long as I can remember. The former Govonor of Michigan Jennifer Granholm received a 20 million dollar federal grant to overhaul the sewage system in the Detroit metro area but she spent the money on other stuff instead.

Along with the sewage issues the Chemical Factories on the St Clair River between Lake Huron and Lake St Clair have been known to dump millions of gallons of cancer causing chemical. Every time they have an emergency they can dump into the water. I've read of these chemical showing up at the Detroit municipal water plant. The area is known as chemical Alley.

By just looking at the water you would never know anything is wrong. There are no oil slicks or anything like that and the water look clear. The average person that doesn't pay attention isn't going to notice anything. I've lived here for 40 years and I pay attention to everything that goes on with our water ways. I'm just wondering how far the government is going to let this go before they do anything?

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Unfortunately, they aren't going to do S%*@, until it is too late. Like Flint.

Besides just pouring the toxins into the rivers and lakes, cities have contaminated the land, to which the water (rain, ect) will carry down to wells, and into our rivers.
St. Louis MI is a perfect example of that. That ground is so contaminated, it is causing cancer. But the government let the company off scott free in the 70's and 80's. And the pine river runs right through it.

I love this state. I've lived here for over 40 years. We are letting our government, and big corporations kill it.

I just wish I knew how to stop them.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Best suggestion I have is paid relocation of ALL Detroit residents, then carpet-bomb whats left of the city, and then salt the land there.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: JDeLattre89
Best suggestion I have is paid relocation of ALL Detroit residents, then carpet-bomb whats left of the city, and then salt the land there.

O.o How would carpet bombing a huge city like Detroit decrease the amount of pollution in the waters near it?

The obliterated building materials, plastics, & consumer goods would cause incredible amounts of pollution, with some draining into the nearby waterways. And all of the industrial facilities & storage facilities would leak their wastes everywhere, including into the nearby waterways. And the sewage system would obviously leak everywhere, including into the nearby waterways. And of course, all of the dead wildlife would create a cesspool of carcasses, which would create its own set of problems.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Depends on what you carpet bomb with. For example, if you were to use a MOAB it could be almost the same as nuking it but without the radiation.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   

a reply to: enlightenedservant

Depends on what you carpet bomb with. For example, if you were to use a MOAB it could be almost the same as nuking it but without the radiation.

Not even close. www.thescienceforum.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I don't know much about your area .....but that's very sad....I supose you could pull an Erin brocovitch ? ....how about making the major news media or 60 minutes involved with the raw sewage dumping, etc. ? Get some video on your smartphone while your fishing .... It's sad, big corporation gets away with that . And your right that people don't pay attention....they're too involved in their. I phones .

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

When people see the news about Detroit all they see is the inner city which looks like a bombed out 3rd world country. Detroit is empty compared to what it was. Most people live in the surrounding areas. Outside of Detroit there are low middle and upper class homes. There are multi million dollar mansions in metro Detroit The Detroit metro are takes longer then an hour to drive from one side to the other. Metro Detroit is made up of many other cities. It's all combined into one densely populated area that spans 3 counties.
edit on 6-9-2016 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

Actually the Downtown area is pretty vibrant now...... the rest of Detroit that's another sad story. Downtown is safe and fun. We go there often.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: jellyrev

You'd be surprised if I took you on a tour of Downtown. you'd even like it.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

I've been. There was a lot money poured into there.

I prefer Grand Rapids myself, no I am not from GR either.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Hi Neighbor -

We are concerned here in Chicago too. My friend here, a former Michigander, says there's plenty of concern there as well. We're watching it all too here.

Here's a site I thought of, that you / others may be interested in (GL region enviro news) -

Great Lakes Echo

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Well, if you ask me, I'd say the Great Lakes are in trouble because the State Of Michigan holds all surface waters of the state in trust. The state government has shown how trust worthy they are. They made a play for the ground water too, but lost, thank goodness.

My Uncle had a house on the Clinton River in Mt Clemens and the city got down hard on him for having a junky yard because of the River tour boats that went past his place and complained. But he lived just down stream form the sewage processing plant and every time it rained, he saw multi-colored turds float by because when the rain would over fill the system, they just did a chlorine shock treatment to the raw sewage and released it in to the river. When I helped him clean up his place, the river smelled exactly like sewage you'd smell when you would remove a toilet from it's base to replace it. That river is an open sewer for sure.

As screwed up as Zebra mussels are, they have helped clean up Lake St Clair, a lake I liked to call the big septic pond.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Yeah I've seen the floating turds on the Clinton before. I saw a line of turds over a miles long floating down the river once. It was right after a rain.

new topics

join