It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Bush's words on liberty don't mesh with U.S. Policies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
For all the Bush's inaugural speech yesterday was full of optimism and flights of fancy, of bringing democracy to the "darkest corners of the world," the emptiness of this rhetoric is brought home. The reality is that the U.S. doesn't practice what it preaches. The so-called War on Terror has pushed this nation to be friendlier and forge alliances with some of the world's worst human rights abusers - and this according to the State Department!

www.thestar.com
WASHINGTON—U.S. President George W. Bush's soaring rhetoric yesterday that the United States would promote the growth of democratic movements and institutions worldwide is at odds with the administration's increasingly close relations with repressive regimes in every corner of the world.

The administration's band of allies in the war against terrorism — including Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Uzbekistan — are ranked by the U.S. State Department as among the worst human-rights abusers.

Bush has proudly proclaimed his friendship with Russian President Vladimir Putin while remaining largely mute about Putin's dismantling of democratic institutions in the past four years. The administration, eager to enlist China as an ally in the effort to restrain North Korea's nuclear ambitions, has played down human rights concerns there as well.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There was nothing in this that surprised me. I find that Bush always speaks out of both sides of his mouth. Most blatant to me are the dealings with Saudi Arabia as well as his family's personal relationship with the powers that be there.

[edit on 21-1-2005 by TrickmastertricK]

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Bush's speech was clearly a turning point in American policy -- he announced a new U.S. policy where we will not appease dictators for short term stability because that is far more dangerous in the long run. Liberals still can't grasp the true meaning of Bush's speech. It launced a new, different era of American policy. Don't judge his statements against old policy! We have yet to see the new policy in action!

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Bush's speech was clearly a turning point in American policy -- he announced a new U.S. policy where we will not appease dictators for short term stability because that is far more dangerous in the long run. Liberals still can't grasp the true meaning of Bush's speech. It launced a new, different era of American policy. Don't judge his statements against old policy! We have yet to see the new policy in action!

Ever hear the old saying: " a leopard never changes his spots?"

Its more of the same...believe everything I say without question. He always was a liar...and will continue to be. He'll just get more brazen with time and the re-election behind him.

[edit on 21/1/05 by AlwaysLearning]

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlwaysLearning

Ever hear the old saying: " a leopard never changes his spots?"

Its more of the same...believe everything I say without question.

A lot of people went broke betting Bush wouldn't follow through with his promises...sure you want to take that bet?

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Yup we're all heard it. America's foreign policy goes something like this;

You're gonna accept freedom, whether you like it or not! Because we're team America! Yea that's right team USA, World Police!

link   

A lot of people went broke betting Bush wouldn't follow through with his promises...sure you want to take that bet?

Nah...I already think the U.S. is the loser because of his promises. So what, all of a sudden the country is going to stop dealing with repressive regimes until they change their ways. Don't count on it. I don't think he can redeem himself in the eyes of the world.

[edit on 21/1/05 by AlwaysLearning]

link   
promises? Of wars??? yep-he followed thru alright. That boy can be counted on for this. But wait, more are coming! And thats a promise.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I like the one where he said something about getting rid of all tyrants. Does that include him?

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
shouldn't there be something at the top of this thread that says that it is an opinion piece? Ethical news outlets always indicate whether an article is a work of fiction or a straight news story... above top secret NEWS network won't be taken seriously by anyone outside the board if it doesn't note what the pure opinion pieces are.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Dude, you need a serious dose of reality. Dont judge his statements against old policy?!?
I judge him on his TRACK RECORD, and it SUCKS!

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by LogansRun

Dude, you need a serious dose of reality. Dont judge his statements against old policy?!?
I judge him on his TRACK RECORD, and it SUCKS!

This 'article' is judging U.S. historical policy against Bush's new policy. It has nothing to do with a track record, which I think is excellent.

I agree that this should be OP/ED, it is certainly a piece with a decided point-of-view.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams

shouldn't there be something at the top of this thread that says that it is an opinion piece? Ethical news outlets always indicate whether an article is a work of fiction or a straight news story... above top secret NEWS network won't be taken seriously by anyone outside the board if it doesn't note what the pure opinion pieces are.

I thought it should go in op/ed as it was an analysis piece. I told the mod that. When we submit, its not in the pulldown menu from what I could see.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
djohnsto77 says:

A lot of people went broke betting Bush wouldn't follow through with his promises...

A lot of people exercise standards based on integrity and values over and above mere profit in deciding where they put their money. Did that never occur to you?

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I boycotted the inauguration yesterday, but last night I did see the Daily Show coverage and I remember Jon Stewart saying he said Freedom 25 times and Libery 17 times in his address.

George W Bush is clearly a man who relys on Keywords, perhaps triggers to get his point across. it is rather scary listening to him.

If you say it enough you can actually convince yourself of anything.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
They *all* play that game. Listen to Sen. Boxer grilling Condi Rice. Listen to Uncle Teddy. Fortunately, Sen. Clinton hasn't picked up that trick too badly yet.

Partisanship sucks. The entire government, both parties, use this same cheap but effective advertising technique. And I'm pretty sure I've heard many a rant from the British Parliament, various UN speeches, and plenty of tin-horn dictators too.

But, it's trendier and more rewarding to just fault one side than both.

Originally posted by worldwatcher
I boycotted the inauguration yesterday, but last night I did see the Daily Show coverage and I remember Jon Stewart saying he said Freedom 25 times and Libery 17 times in his address.

George W Bush is clearly a man who relys on Keywords, perhaps triggers to get his point across. it is rather scary listening to him.

If you say it enough you can actually convince yourself of anything.

top topics

join