It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The US is ready to hand over the internet on Sept. 30

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
a reply to: alldaylong

I don't need to, you just don't comprehend what you're reading in reference to the "Internet". Sorry.

My original post was not about " The Internet " but was in fact about " The World Wide Web "

Here it is for your reference

They didn't invent The World Wide Web though.

Now do you understand ?

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

a reply to: Informer1958

the USA invented the internet back in the early 1960's.

The technology came out of US military, private corporations, and computer scientists working at US universities. Peering first appeared in the US. We invented it.

Your wrong.

Sir Tim Berners- Lee was the inventor of The World Wide Web whilst working at CERN.

webfoundation.org...

No , he conceived of a world wide network . The US military and some colleges took the idea and ran with it.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdChillin

I am not in full understanding of your reply? I mentioned Australia as an example. As far as I know, ATS has not prosecuted or leveled charges in a court for something someone said online. They only ban users for very specific judgements on very specific entities. That is all within the rights of a privately owned business though. Just like owners who reserve their right to refuse service in a brick and mortar establishment.

There is still a choice to visit any number of competitor businesses with a simple typing of characters. However, if I understand, you just advocated for the UN to remove a business owners right to refuse service to those who patronize their businesses. No one has the right to eat at their favorite BBQ joint. They have the privilege to eat there by the owner of the business. if that owner does not grant you a privilege by reserving his right to refuse service, one must simply move on to a competitor rather than crusade for the removal of the business owners rights.

Or simply play nicer and be subtle.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

a reply to: Informer1958

the USA invented the internet back in the early 1960's.

The technology came out of US military, private corporations, and computer scientists working at US universities. Peering first appeared in the US. We invented it.

Your wrong.

Sir Tim Berners- Lee was the inventor of The World Wide Web whilst working at CERN.

webfoundation.org...

No , he conceived of a world wide network . The US military and some colleges took the idea and ran with it.

Who told you that ?

Please link your source.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

ARPANET was the first version of the internet. Which was a DARPA project apparently with corporate and university backing.

Who invented the internet

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

ARPANET was the first version of the internet. Which was a DARPA project apparently with corporate and university backing.

Can i state this yet once again.

I am not talking of the INTERNET i am talking WORLD WIDE WEB.

Thank you.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

ICANN is a not-for-profit public-benefit corporation with participants from all over the world dedicated to keeping the Internet secure, stable and interoperable. It promotes competition and develops policy on the Internet's unique identifiers. Through its coordination role of the Internet's naming system, it does have an important impact on the expansion and evolution of the Internet.

www.icann.org...

That section 902B which is referred to in your citation? Here is what is says concerning the internet (it's mostly about radio):

(C) shall assign to the NTIA responsibility for providing for the establishment, and overseeing operation, of a second-level Internet domain within the United States country code domain in accordance with section 941 of this title.

And what does 941 say?

(a) Responsibilities

The NTIA shall require the registry selected to operate and maintain the United States country code Internet domain to establish, operate, and maintain a second-level domain within the United States country code domain that provides access only to material that is suitable for minors and not harmful to minors (in this section referred to as the "new domain").

You don't seem to have shown how this transfer is illegal.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Thank you.

And Where would that be without a PLACE TO USE IT ON? And ARPANET was a web it just wasnt WORLDWIDE.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Thank you.

And Where would that be without a PLACE TO USE IT ON? And ARPANET was a web it just wasnt WORLDWIDE.

It's like a car and petrol.

They both need each other to make it work.

The Internet And World Wide Web Are NOT The Same Thing.

edit on 6-9-2016 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Ah yea man, I was wrong (that still trips me out, reminds me of the rednecks around here lol). Woke up way too early today. My bad.

So let's make some clear distinctions here, in hopes nobody else gets confused.

Intranet: Private networking system using TCP/IP stack. Connects networks to networks but is bound and generally requires authentication to access.

Internet: Also known as inter-networking. Connecting large networks to other large networks, generally through a process called "peering" while running the TCP/IP stack. It's unbounded. While intranets are closed, the internet is an open-system.

World-Wide-Web: Standards and protocol for effectively transmitting data, and connecting users to services on the internet.
edit on 6-9-2016 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   
ICANN activities are governed by a contract with the US government. They dont have the authority to act unilaterally in an area they don't own. All they do is coordinate and assign the relevant info.

As the wikipedia source notes - caretaker and not policy maker.

The Department of Commerce acted on its own when it made changes to ICANN's relationship in terms of oversight. Those changes require Senate approval.
edit on 6-9-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I just looked up a new website name.....

and it is available to buy.

it's a dot-com site, too. For less than $11 USD PER YEAR I can own (lease) that domain name. It will be mine.
Now I have to find someone to host it.

Any number of "hosts" are available.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Also, there's this:

As of January 1, 2014, ...ICANN has mandated that all ICANN accredited registrars begin verifying the WHOIS contact information for all new domain registrations and Registrant contact modifications.

all ICANN accredited registrars begin verifying the WHOIS contact information for all new domain registrations and Registrant contact modifications

All this means is that I can no longer "hide" my real identity behind "WHOIS" protection. They are taking away anonymity that is provided (FOR A FEE) to mask your real identity.

I'm fine with that.

Why do you all think it's offensive?

Oh. Because you lose your right to bitch and moan ......

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

They are taking away anonymity that is provided (FOR A FEE) to mask your real identity.

AHA! See there, the "changes" that come with "under new management." That is highly offensive to me. I am offended! Guess we are just going to have to disconnect or be subject to the new global internet tax. It will get higher now I bet, whatever fees and stuff too. They going to be all like "ohhh, compliance! Nah!" give me that extra money my ho's and bitches".

Credit card and smartphone-pays will have at the register up front digital compliance tax added to it as well. Per every transaction, all the time. I had a feeling this would be part of End Times fulfillment. It just keeps creeping closer and closer ....

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

I'm too tired to get that deeply into it right now --- but the only thing going on here (and yes, I have received notifications from the host-site for my domains) is that they are thinking that total "anonymity" online is not really a safe way to operate things.

I have no problem letting them know who I am. I know many people are freaked out about having their identity known.....but if you have an honest site and are not being a dbag or inciting war or spreading lies, you have nothing to fear.

It's GOOD that they are going to disallow "who-is" blocking.

In My Opinion.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

A dissident, broadly defined, is a person who actively challenges an established doctrine, policy, or institution. When dissidents unite for a common cause they often affect a dissident movement.

Political dissidents would become seriously vulnerable. Not just in far away lands, but in the stats as well. This may end up being similar to the IRS scandal with targeting conservative and libertarian groups for extra scrutiny. Except since an increasing share of the media is now online, and propaganda laws being what they are, this can be come cover up dangerous more so than it already is.

Seth Rich guy was some low level aide with little exposure. The establishment is getting closer to having the authority to just start mysteriously vanishing regular folks.

THE BODY SNATCHERS ARE COMING!

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
If they start censoring the internet then we are going to have to start boycotting electronics. I'll never stand for that, this isn't China...

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
If the intent of handing over control of the internet has no practical effect why would Obama bother with doing it? It's all part and parcel of the "fundamental transformation" of America which we have been witnessing for the last 7 years.

Ask yourself these questions:
How much has our National debt increased ?
Is my health care the same or better ?
Have your wages increased with inflation ?
It is harder or easier to find a good job ?
Is there more or less freedom of speech and expression ?
Are your electric bills drastically higher than before ?
Are racial relations better than they were ?
Is the US respected as a Nation more or less ?
Are you more or less hopeful about the future ?

I could go on and on with these types of questions and for me the answer to every single one is a negative. Obama has done a great deal of destruction to the US and it's core values.

Handing over the internet is simply one more spider web to entrap the people in and centralize control in the hands of the globalists.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

If the intent of handing over control of the internet has no practical effect why would Obama bother with doing it?

Erm, maybe to save money?

I read through your questions, and I chose not to respond to them.

Allowing centralized control of a thing that is a global 'commons' is not some sinister plot. That would be like "controlling the air" or "controlling the ocean." The USA does not own the internet!

With all due respect, I think your view is skewed.
But, I know you think mine is as well.....just an observationn.

(P.S. You do realize, I trust, that the Republicans have obstructed a majority of things that Obama tried to do. On purpose. They would rather listen to green eggs and ham than address ANYTHING that Obama proposed. You are aware of that, right?)

edit on 9/13/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join