It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The US is ready to hand over the internet on Sept. 30

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: worldstarcountry
The only impact I can see on "free speech" would be in the issuing of new domain names. But, I'm not sure how that could influence free speech unless there would be new regulation regarding requirements for registration.

Or, are people saying that the US is really liberal about that sort of thing and the UN would be less so?

I predict you will regret your defense of this move.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

ATS criminalizes speech. Wtf are you talking about? The whole "private" web site thing is BS. The TOS here disallows caustic language in DIRECT OPPOSITION to the SCOTUS ruling allowing it under protected speech. So, if the UN can 86 the whole private Web site thing, I'm okay with it.
Y'all think you're wolves but you've always been sheep. Baaaaaa!
edit on 6-9-2016 by ColdChillin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: gmoneystunt

On October 1st let the censoring begin.

Black net will come alive.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Informer1958

the USA invented the internet back in the early 1960's.

They didn't invent The World Wide Web though.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

its time to launch our own satelites.....low orbit, year long orbit or less, cheap, disposable, that can keep a separate internet running.

Let them keep the commercial one.

Lets build our own!!!

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   
im thinking..since the company is a private company and is based in the US. coudnt a president Trump lean on them to make them comply and take power back from the UN? OR we can Leave the UN and when we do declare all our contracts null and void with them. o r the U S just makes a second internet and lets the current one be killed off.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman
The rocket carrying a satellite for free internet blew up on the launch pad last week many believe it was purposely targeted for destruction from TPTB.

edit on 6-9-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

I bet it was. We need to launch many more.

I would give what little I have for a gofundme towards that....

edit on 9 6 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I'm not remotely concerned about this. If people became sufficiently disincentivized from using DNS, a new protocol would emerge that could take its place and offer advancements. I've thought this through in concept several times over, but am no computer scientist or low lever programmer. There's just no threat here at all.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

The technology came out of US military, private corporations, and computer scientists working at US universities. Peering first appeared in the US. We invented it.
edit on 6-9-2016 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

I know from experience we had Intranet with our IBM comoputers in the 1980's

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Just an open question, but when has handing ANYTHING over to the UN improved things?

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Only if they will eliminate SPAM ! And, call in NATO airstrikes on the spammers, I'll go for that!

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

originally posted by: alldaylong

The technology came out of US military, private corporations, and computer scientists working at US universities. Peering first appeared in the US. We invented it.

Your wrong.

Sir Tim Berners- Lee was the inventor of The World Wide Web whilst working at CERN.

webfoundation.org...

edit on 6-9-2016 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

I'm not "wrong" I'm precise. The Internet relies on many protocols and technologies.

This article in the OP seems to want to lean heavily on DNS, for instance.

You might want to read your own article before jumping to a moral judgment (even though that makes zero sense anyways).

Already, millions of computers were being connected together through the fast-developing Internet and Berners-Lee realised they could share information by exploiting an emerging technology called hypertext.

Now I'm not ignorant enough to call you "wrong", but you're certainly incorrect.
edit on 6-9-2016 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   

There is no need for a new protocol just some new top level servers and isp's etc using those as the authoritative source of what whatever.com translates to 1.2.3.4 etc, it would take some effort but luckily the internets built with pretty zero security by default so change your dns settings to the new servers and job done in theory.

And while the internet started as a US military project its a global system now with help from people all over the world and probably in the 1950/60's those people may of been fresh off the boat immigrants etc perhaps fleeing from the war.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   

You think i am wrong then ? Well please explain this:-

Tim also wrote the first Web page editor/browser (“WorldWideWeb.app”) and thefirst Web server (“httpd“).

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

You could always do like China and spoof authoritarian DNS lol. Before that mess gets underway I'd much rather start with a clean system.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

I don't need to, you just don't comprehend what you're reading in reference to the "Internet". Sorry.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

47 USC Ch. 8: NATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS AND INFORMATION ADMINISTRATION

The NTIA is an executive level agency however their charter, which was defined by Congress, spells out what it can or can not do. The charter has to be renewed every 2 years and currently their charter expires in 2017. The charter requires the Senate approve any type of "reassignment" to other entities.

With the charter still in effect until 2017 -
* - Obama can't just decide to reassign the functions to another entity.
* - Obama can't make changes by bypassing the Senate.

47 USC §904. General administrative provisions

(d) Reorganization

(1) Authority to reorganize

Subject to paragraph (2), the Secretary may reassign to another unit of the Department of Commerce a function (or portion thereof) required to be assigned to the NTIA by section 902(b) of this title.
(2) Limitation on authority

The Secretary may not make any reassignment of a function (or portion thereof) required to be assigned to the NTIA by section 902(b) of this title unless the Secretary submits to the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation of the Senate and the Committee on Energy and Commerce of the House of Representatives a statement describing the proposed reassignment and containing an explanation of the reasons for the reassignment. No reassignment of any such function (or portion thereof) shall be effective until 90 legislative days after the Secretary submits that statement to such Committees. For purposes of this paragraph, the term "legislative days" includes only days on which both Houses of Congress are in session.

(e) Limitation on solicitations

Notwithstanding section 1522 of title 15, neither the Secretary, the Assistant Secretary, nor any officer or employee of the NTIA shall solicit any gift or bequest of property, both real and personal, from any entity for the purpose of furthering the authorized functions of the NTIA if such solicitation would create a conflict of interest or an appearance of a conflict of interest.

ICAAN, which is the focus of all of this, falls under the NTIA.

Additional resource -
Executive Order 12046--Relating to the transfer of telecommunications functions
edit on 6-9-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join